More ship date info! GOOD NEWS!

G

GibMonkey

Anyone see the WIRED magazine article?

WIRED article

Interesting, but what caught my eye was.....

Most interesting....

If the previous link doesn't work, just click on the thumbnails to the left of the article, pay close attention to the first picture's caption.

"Although boxed versions of the highly anticipated new game Half-Life 2 won't be available in stores for a couple of months, Valve Software is releasing the game for download now."

Although this has been conjecture for a while, this is the first time I have seen it in writing from a legitimate source...any comments??

GibMonkey
[email protected]

i seriously hope this is crap :/ i don't want to download HL2 with my 150k connection :(

wont download it, even if it means i have to wait a couple of months..
i want my box damnit

well i am capped at 350k.. but the fact is.. i DO NOT WANT TO DOWNLOAD a game i buy. i think that is 100% absolute crap. especially half-life 2. it makes it seem like its not even a game. and ii don't care if you offer it for 10 bucks on-line i will not buy to download it on-line.

It doesn't feel very safe to download it, and I won't the game on a CD.

damn you fanboys....i'm gonna dl it if gets on steam first, no way am i gonna wait 2 months for some damn box!! plus valve gets all my sweet sweet money, no vivendi bitch, sucking up 50%...

ffs why do you come with this crap hl2 will be in stores on sept the 30th SO PLZ SU !!!

Oh well, why you guys are having fun doing nothing, i will be playin hl2 which i have downloaded!

Originally posted by ApocalypseNow
Oh well, why you guys are having fun doing nothing, i will be playin hl2 which i have downloaded!
i'll be readin spoilers on the forums most likely :/

There's no way i'm downloading HL2:

1) It'll take a while even if all goes well (not great connection).

2) Given how steam seems to be performing now, downloading something 2gb+ would realistically take at least 2 days (probably about 1 week).

3) I've got slightly irritated in my endevors to install steam today and this is free. If getting HL2 is gonna be shaky i'll probably be a little more stressfull given that i've payed for it.

4) If i can think of 3 reasons, then that's reason enough not to download it!! :cheese:

Legitimate source? lol

Alright, more legitimate than most the speculators on this board...but not directly from the horse's mouth. Just lookin' for the truth here....

Any comments Gabe?:E

The only reason I saw this as good news was that I was SURE AS $HIT the game was to be delayed. In this light, it kinda is, and it kinda isn't. Since I'm buyin' 2 copies for my 2 systems (One through steam, the other boxed) I think getting to play 2 months early is worth it. Have to see what Gabe says to be sure though....

GibMonkey
[email protected]

Two gigs isnt much to download in my opinion because it takes me about 6 hours to do going at a steady 200K/B :D Although im going to wait for the box or 'get it from a friend'.

I think Gabe looks like the combine without a mask on, thatd be funny if the bad guys look like the devs w/o masks.

Good find.

I think this puts a lot of rumor and speculation into perspective.

Gabe has always said sept 30th and the retailers have been saying November for a good while now.

These retailers have to be getting their info from somewhere official.
Why would they benefit from announcing release date slippages?

I reckon this is the truth.

Steam on Sept 30th and retail within a few months - just before xmas.

Fair play to valve - all this release date madness has made a lot of people lust for the game like crazy and it will ensure that most hardcore boys wont wait for the box and will be forced to buy it from them via steam - bit sneaky but you can see their logic.

I would much rather the retail box version, but if half-life 2 is available for me to play on sept the 30th via a steam download there is no way in the world I aint getting it.

This is Half-life 2 we are talking about!

I have been waiting 5 years for this and I dont want to wait a second more than i have to.

This is ridiculous, there is no valid reason to be able to release it on inet, but unable to release it in a box, creating the box art and pressing the cd's takes a few days max.

Besides, I don't think Valve can make an agreement with the publisher. What idiot publisher would allow a developer releasing their content on the internet. By the time it reaches the stores, a few months later, 90% will have downloaded it already. They won't make any money.

The goddamn stores don't know anymore than we do, they're just guessing. Some of you guess it will release in november, some of them think that too. So they put that on their website. The fact is that they don't have anymore info than we do.

True - but maybe its all part of Valves plan.

The could quite easily have said in the contract with Sierra that they get to release it 2 months after Valve release it on steam.

Valve will make 100% profit from a steam copy sold - thats why they would do it.

I have been waiting 5 years for this and I dont want to wait a second more than i have to.
wow man, thanks god i have only been waiting since E3 2003

something wierd happened to me today, i saw in my dream that i'm playing HL2!!!! in the beginning i found myself on top of a mountain and as i was making myway down i kinda felt dizzy (like i'm doing it in real life not just a game :p yeah well, its just a dream, no big deal.

Download version....

I would rather have the box too, but I can't wait to play this game....so being as that is....does anyone know how the download will work??? it says one-time download, however....does it come in 1 big zip file??? is it able to be put on disk??? please let me know because I re-format my haddrive often and I would hate to have to pay to download again...... anyone got information on this??

much appreciated

This is bad news indeed. I ain't downloading it, that's a sux way.

PvtRyan's right. If the game was ready by 30th for download then it'd take another couple of weeks, certainly not a couple of MONTHS.

Originally posted by willy1ka
(...) Fair play to valve - all this release date madness has made a lot of people lust for the game like crazy and it will ensure that most hardcore boys wont wait for the box and will be forced to buy it from them via steam - bit sneaky but you can see their logic. (...)
Yeah right. That logic gonna make pirate copies of HL2 go smooth like sh.it from ducks a.ss in the first day. It's a nail to Valves coffin. Of course if its true.

True but that depends on the copy protection they have.
I heard that you had to activate your copy... there is no way round that sort of thing.

I want a hard copy, So i CAN touch the CD and the box with my hands

Unless of course the steam released version REQUIRES steam to play.

That's what I'm thinking anyways. I'm sure they (l337) will figure a way around the checks and balances of the steam version, but it probably won't be pretty! Not immediately anyways...

GibMonkey
[email protected]

Originally posted by scribblehead
damn you fanboys....i'm gonna dl it if gets on steam first, no way am i gonna wait 2 months for some damn box!! plus valve gets all my sweet sweet money, no vivendi bitch, sucking up 50%...

Wouldnt that make you the fanboy?

Originally posted by nsxownzme
Wouldnt that make you the fanboy?

i'll repeat myself again, just for you my dear:

....i'm gonna dl it if gets on steam first, no way am i gonna wait 2 months for some damn box!!

waiting 2 months a for a box is fanboyism...getting the game when its released is hardly....and if it would make me a fanboy, then when i go get i.e Homeworld on the release date, does that make a fanboyof homeworld 2??

Good find.

I think this puts a lot of rumor and speculation into perspective.

Gabe has always said sept 30th and the retailers have been saying November for a good while now.

These retailers have to be getting their info from somewhere official. Why would they benefit from announcing release date slippages?

I reckon this is the truth.

Steam on Sept 30th and retail within a few months - just before xmas.

Fair play to valve - all this release date madness has made a lot of people lust for the game like crazy and it will ensure that most hardcore boys wont wait for the box and will be forced to buy it from them via steam - bit sneaky but you can see their logic.

I would much rather the retail box version, but if half-life 2 is available for me to play on sept the 30th via a steam download there is no way in the world I aint getting it.

This is Half-life 2 we are talking about!

This is exactly what I think willy1ka. You didn't happen to use that cloned brain I had lying around did ya? I had been ranting about the EB date, they don't just pull these dates outta their a$$ if you know what I mean....keep the fanboys happy, make a couple of non-middleman bucks and rake in the the royalties for years to come.....marvelous! This all seems VERY microsoft-ish in a way doesn't it?

GibMonkey
[email protected]

Ya know its funny, this isnt' the first time im hearing about it being released this way. This guy that works at EBX I asked a while back, said that it will be releasesd on Steam 9/30, and on store shelves by 11/19.

Originally posted by scribblehead
i'll repeat myself again, just for you my dear:

....i'm gonna dl it if gets on steam first, no way am i gonna wait 2 months for some damn box!!

waiting 2 months a for a box is fanboyism...getting the game when its released is hardly....and if it would make me a fanboy, then when i go get i.e Homeworld on the release date, does that make a fanboyof homeworld 2??

Yes. :)

Seriouslly, is Valve stupid? Literally STUPID? I mean, your gonna have practically tens of thousands, probably more people trying to download it at once. It'll take friggin EONS just to get the games data files before the first level even begins to download. IMO, I think this is a VERY bad decision that they're making. Nevertheless, they'll be lucky if even 30% of the fans will download it. I say synchronize the release, and release the game ON STORE SHELVES along with the release on Steam on 9/30. And if it isn't going to be on store shelves 9/30 for a fact, then don't release it on Steam either on 9/30.

i read somewhere about a month ago that they were trying to think of a system to get the box/manuals etc to people who purchase on steam somehow, so that may come around at a later date

Seriouslly, is Valve stupid? Literally STUPID? I mean, your gonna have practically tens of thousands, probably more people trying to download it at once. It'll take friggin EONS just to get the games data files before the first level even begins to download. IMO, I think this is a VERY bad decision that they're making. I say synchronize the release, and release the game ON STORE SHELVES along with the release on Steam on 9/30.

Actually I believe what they are doing is quite smart. Nonetheless, If Valve doesn't get their $hit together with Steam, you could be quite right about EONS of wait. Basically this is the smart way to do it, as long as you have the HARDWARE to back it up. If I were to base this on Steam's latest release and current performace, then the EONS comment will hold true!

As a matter of fact, you would probably be getting it in November either way! :cheese: Even worse (or better, depending on how you look at it) the people waiting for the boxed versions may get it first!!! :rolling:

GibMonkey
[email protected]

thats the worst bunch of crap ive ever heard...sorry, but i think it is....

and how can anyone believe this?..i dont get it... oh well

Yea, I can understand what your saying, but what about 56K users? Majority of gamers are still on 56K? *unless for those who are @ college, or have broadband @ home*. Also, is the game downloading to your hard drive? Or are is it going to be stored in Steam cache?

Back