More wild release date speculation

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been trolling these forums for a while and I'm finally motivated enough to stop being a troll and join up.

As we've seen a few things fall into place these past two weeks I wanted to throw out another wild date speculation (as if we hadn't discussed this enough).

We now see that a few reputable game magazine publications are coming out with official HL2 reviews in the first part of October and the game apparently being stamped with the "M" rating (I'm guessing the rating is official, might not be of course...) along with the RC being sent last week and three pre-loads for content its obviously getting close.

How close is the question. Well, to my honest recollection, every major game release I've ever bought in the past, I've always had the box in my hands at least a few days before game magazines had official reviews on store shelves. PC Gamer UK, PC Gameplay and at least one other mag expect to be out in the first two weeks of next month.

Going against this arguement is the Prima Making of HL2 book which according to that interview on the author we all read, that book would also release ahead of the game. VU's online store has the ETA on the book for Oct. 6th. So for that to work one of two things must happen:

A. The book would have to actually come out in the next 10 business days or so so we could have the game in hands by early Oct.

B. The book's printing schedule is now too close to the game's release and could potentially come around the same time or even after the game releases. If it were my call, I'd have them ship at the same time. If GameStop's info on the CE having this Prima book bundled in the CE box, this theory could hold some water...

So, which do you all think will happen? Think we'll get game magazine reviews before the game itself?

Have any of you ever bought games before you saw magazine reviews on store shelves? It might just be me, thats how it seems to go...

:cheers:

valve has stated that they dont want magazine reviews out before the game so that there are no spoilers for ppl waiting for the game. if the magazine schedules are correct then we should see HL2 very soon

by the way trolling means being an asshat and generally trying to piss off people. You most likely meant lurking.

Welcome to the forums, VoodooMinigeek!

In my opinion, apart from the review announcements things have been a bit too quiet lately in order for them to get the game out by the 5th (if that's really when the magazines are coming out). They should be going gold right about now, if they really wish to have the game out before the reviews.

Fez, do you remember where they said they want to get the game out first, because I honestly can't remember reading about it. I really hope the release is that close, but somehow I doubt it they'll get the game out before the 'zines and their reviews.

Yes, I think the game reviews will come out first. I still think the Oct. 8th court date -- Vivendi's attempt to scuttle Steam -- is a major factor in Vivendi approving HL2 for manufacturing. Don't think we'll even hear much till then.

True that LAYP, I hope I'm not an ass already :) Lurking would be more accurate...

Hopefully we will get rewiews soon, and then some nice brittish folks can post it here. :p

You can also "review" a game without spoiling it. They can easily use "known" areas (bugs in the laundry room, strider in the street, etc.) and talk about those explaining the graphics, AI, etc. and explaining that the rest of the game is just as good.

Democritus said:
Yes, I think the game reviews will come out first. I still think the Oct. 8th court date -- Vivendi's attempt to scuttle Steam -- is a major factor in Vivendi approving HL2 for manufacturing. Don't think we'll even hear much till then.
\

It's just a court date, nothing at all is decided or settled (until march 2005 I believe). That should have no effect on anything.

I don't think you can apply any trends to valve, they seem to be the exception to every rule.

I tend to agree that Valve does seem to be the exception to every rule but from a business stand point for a high expectation game, I would like my game to be out before reviews but who knows. At least we are getting closer and that's the bottom line really.

I also don't expect the Oct. 8th court date will pose any change or threat to HL2. VU and Valve can't afford HL2 not releasing AT LEAST by the holiday season this year.

Moved to Rumors and Speculation ;)

VoodooMinigeek said:
I tend to agree that Valve does seem to be the exception to every rule but from a business stand point for a high expectation game, I would like my game to be out before reviews but who knows. At least we are getting closer and that's the bottom line really.

I also don't expect the Oct. 8th court date will pose any change or threat to HL2. VU and Valve can't afford HL2 not releasing AT LEAST by the holiday season this year.

Yeah. We're definately getting closer with the preloading of HL2 and all. New hardware survey, new advertisements of hl2, all the previews popping up everywhere. The bubble is about to burst, and I'll be standing right under it, with my mouth wide open, when it does. Something is sturring in the east .. The eye of the enemy is moving ..

I could be wrong here but with HL1 I've read couple of reviews that managed to review properly without spoiling anything BEFORE HL1 was released!

it is the beast that stirs in the east..

A certain friend of mine said they are aiming to have it out by the end of the month, but that it's in Vivendi's hands now.

I'm rather inclined to believe this friend because he knew all about the game before any announcement or screenshots were released last year.

just fyi.

they can be printing and distributing w/o any of us puney mortals knowing about it right?

It will be relesed the day after tommarow.
That release date will never change
--*Its the day after tommarow*
-You: Hey Hl2 should be out
-Me: No it will be out the day after tommarow
-You: But you said that 2 days ago..
-Me: And it will always be the day after tommarow...
-You: Whatever..

It's already obvious that HL2 will come out no later than prolly 2weeks TOPS after those reviews. So many magazine companies are sending the issues out early October anyways, so yeah for sure MID OCTOBER LATEST. There is no way in hell those reviews would go out without the following no more than 2 weeks, just a few weeks ppl!

personally i don't care about that book , i'm most interrested by the hl² review , how boring since there's 80% chance that i never find this book in my country...all i'm waiting for is HL2 released that's all.

Back