Most of you wont beleive this...

ilovemetal

Reaction score
ok ok so i made a forum about nvidia video cards...
im running a 64mb sdram Nvidia GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU.
here my my system specs
Amd Xp 3000+ 2.17ghz
1.5 gigs of samsung pci 2700 dram
and my video card(it only runs on direct X)

i installed hl2 and played ti today... i ran a constant 90 to 140 frames per second on the highest settings on direct X 7... i am not lieing i took in game photos of wat my frames are and how good the graphics are on my card!!! if u guys dont beleive me ill email some to u if u want to see this

I thought that HL2 wouldn't run on the geforce 4 mx range and i am not surprised that you get those framerates seeing as you are playing it on the settings of directx7, try playing them on directx8.1 or 9 by using the HL2 benchmark program and see how well your FPS is :D.

Go here for latest HL2 benchmark program: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=927

P.S: Your computer Specs are really good also so another reason y your FPS goes so well, if u get a Directx9 graphics card u r pretty much set to play any game pretty well.

hey man thanks alot for that.. i know i went with my mom searching for a video card im thinking of a ati 9800 128mb preffered for hl2 do u think that would be good?? and do u know where i can find it somewhere cheaper than 170$ *im not a rich bitch* and my mom wont buy me that... so i have to save up after christmas cuz i bought my family gifts... stupid me

I have a friend who claims to run hl2 on his laptop with a 1.7 ghz processor, 512 mb ram and a 32 mb graphics card with settings on medium...

;\ You may run good on Dx7, but you don't see all the eyecandy like all the fancy stuff shown in the Visual stress test, which must suck :S

I'm getting a new Centrino notebook this week, with 64MB Intel Extreme 2 graphics and 512MB ram. One of the first things I'll be doing is seeing if I can get Half Life 2 running.

My brother is running it on a GF3 Ti200 and an Athlon 1900XP and it looks great - dx8.1 - runs at about 40 - 60fps on medium. I was gobsmacked to see he could run it so well...I thought I was gonna have to upgrade his PC again :)

I thought that HL2 wouldn't run on the geforce 4 mx range and i am not surprised that you get those framerates seeing as you are playing it on the settings of directx7, try playing them on directx8.1 or 9 by using the HL2 benchmark program and see how well your FPS is .

Go here for latest HL2 benchmark program: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=927

I hav a questiong

my videocard is 32mb too but it suport DirectX9 so will look better that the DirectX7 screen on that page?

No...The geforce mx is a 64 mb...Its really last generation, a 32 mb would probably be 2 generations before, I doubt it will run at all.

I used to have an MX440, really... really... really AWFUL.

You really don't know what your missing out on, the game with a 6800GT... well, it's nothing short of amazing.

CookieCuttah said:
No...The geforce mx is a 64 mb...Its really last generation, a 32 mb would probably be 2 generations before, I doubt it will run at all.

It really depends on the graphics core, not the amount of RAM on the card.

The GeForce4-MX was really a souped-up Geforce2MX. It ran fine for the time, but was only DirectX 7 capable, but you can still buy them now with even up to 128MB of RAM onboard. It's quite a FAST DirectX7 card, so any game, such as HL2, which supports a DirectX7 mode will run quite well.

The next generation (suprise suprise) was the DirectX8/8.1 cards, namely Geforce3/4 and Radeon 8000/9000 cards (excluding the 9500 and up). Any of these cards should run HL2 in DirectX8 mode quite well.

And then you've got the DirectX 9 cards, which mostly all of them will run it well in some form or another. You just have to make sure you don't bump the resolution/anti-aliasing settings too high for your card.

wtf!? that's nothing. I ran CS: Source on an amd 700 mhz with 384 MB of pc100 ram with a PCI radeon 7500 and still got around 40 fps!

ilovemetal said:
thing is man geforce4 doesnt support direct x 9 only 7 :(

wtf does that mean?

I've got the 64mb GeForce MX420 card, and I run DX 9...

This game runs totally fine. I haven't experienced anything negative besides lag from the deathmatch servers.

you may think dx 7 is great until you have seen what dx 8.1 looks like..

th3phallex i can assure you , you dont run dx9.
you may have dx9 installed, but if u check ur hl2 settings, it will be using dx7

yup isis is right geforce4 only runs 7.1 of course its ganna say u intalled direct x 9 because u did but geforce4's do not run it or 8.1 only 7 its hard to explain theres a post in here that tells u about it its a website that explains look on page one and then u can see..... i really want a new video card and i am thinking of a 9600xt 128mb would that be good for runnin direct x 9???

isis said:
th3phallex i can assure you , you dont run dx9.
you may have dx9 installed, but if u check ur hl2 settings, it will be using dx7

Why do they "lock-in" a specified technology in the cards?

Can't they program them to be updated by the DX software upgrades??

th3Phallex said:
Why do they "lock-in" a specified technology in the cards?

Can't they program them to be updated by the DX software upgrades??
Sorry, but that's just priceless. :LOL:

AJ Rimmer said:
I have a friend who claims to run hl2 on his laptop with a 1.7 ghz processor, 512 mb ram and a 32 mb graphics card with settings on medium...
Ditto, although mine's a desktop, with geforce3 ti200

My specs:
AMD XP 2200+
512DDR
Geforce4 MX440

Runs great on DX7, 1024x768, settings on medium. Can't get AA to work for some reason (worked no problems on Max Payne 2), but it's still fine. Even when I had to clock the CPU back to 1350mhz recently to compensate for a crappy mobo there was no hitch in the performance on the same settings. Loving it!

ilovemetal said:
yup isis is right geforce4 only runs 7.1 of course its ganna say u intalled direct x 9 because u did but geforce4's do not run it or 8.1 only 7 its hard to explain theres a post in here that tells u about it its a website that explains look on page one and then u can see..... i really want a new video card and i am thinking of a 9600xt 128mb would that be good for runnin direct x 9???

I suggest you don't get this card as i've heard that even though ATI teamed up with Valve (and give out a coupon for a free copy of HL2, which u no longer can redeem(get)) they say that the game will only run on minimum settings with it. I suggest you go on www.ebuyer.com as they have some great graphics cards at low prices. Ask other people what DX9 graphics cards they use to get good FPS etc (I have a DX8.1 graphics card).

Back