Most promising looking mods for half life 2?

kinggi

Reaction score
Out of the vast amount of mods that have been publically announced for source, which look the most promising? have the best renders, concepts, websites, team ect.

I dont really wanna say right now, even if a mod got good renders it can still suck when (if) it gets released.

TF2, CS2, NS2.

All of these will be great in their own way, I'm especially looking forward to the Natural Selection mod on the Half life 2 engine for the sheer fact that it will scare me shitless. :)

im really looking forward to day of defeat 2- i gotta say that having fully destructible battlefield would be amazing in a ww2 setting. Would be sweet to have church towers and stuff and have tanks shoot and being able to knock them down.

I'm excited about INCorporated. Judging from the models they have up so far it really looks like their artists know what they're doing and have some experience.

Lambda Co-Op has also caught my attention, but they may just have a really freaking awesome concept artist.

Originally posted by nostgard
I'm excited about INCorporated. Judging from the models they have up so far it really looks like their artists know what they're doing and have some experience.

Lambda Co-Op has also caught my attention, but they may just have a really freaking awesome concept artist.

I think they just asked a concept artist for his picture aka doing a mod around the pictures instead of making their own mod.

Originally posted by pHATE1982
those pictures are freakin awsome though

Yeah, they sure are, but they would be much better if they where for the mod. I read on moddb (blah) that they gonna do HL2 coop....and i dont see anything HL2 in those pics.

Haha... now that you mention it, it does look like they just added orange to some concept pictures to make it look more "HL2-ish".

Originally posted by nostgard
Haha... now that you mention it, it does look like they just added orange to some concept pictures to make it look more "HL2-ish".

And now you know why i dont think the mod will be any good :)

Originally posted by forn1x
TF2, CS2, NS2.

All of these will be great in their own way, I'm especially looking forward to the Natural Selection mod on the Half life 2 engine for the sheer fact that it will scare me shitless. :)

NS2 is the only mod in that list. The others are retail games.

I agree with Majestic, on both the fact that Lambda Co-Op has got good art, but it's no real idea :p and on the fact that mods can have great modellers, and still be souless: Ghost Ops (for example)

my personal belief is that Cold War: Melting Point is looking the best..... if they pull it all off :)

It's all a matter of taste and what kind of genre you are most into.

For me, I prefer 'realistic' war-based games. So, to me, other the mod that I have founded and lead (which undoubtedly is the one that I am looking forward to the most), Resistance and Liberation seems the most promising in terms of the strong concept that they have developed, clear line of sight of their goals, and they also have impressive visuals. Yes, it is the Second World War again, but this will probably be the first 'realistic' WWII game out there (I am more into the Modern Infantry Combat era and 'realism,' however that would be the category that my mod falls under ;)).

I like realism games,,, but I hate ones that throw gameplay out the window,, so it'll be hard to please me since it seems everyone forgot about adding fun to their mods...

This topic was made a bit early, it's well to early into things to have any real judge of promise.

lambda coop has scum for a mod leader. This great artist gets asked if a mod can use ONE of his pics for their website, then later on finds out that their saying hes part of their mod, and their using TONS of HIS work. Needless to say he put an end to that, but he did give them permission to use 10 pictures. I'm surpised he didn't sue them or something, the lesson is kids that you DO NOT steal peoples work.

Originally posted by nietzsche
The most promising MODs are yet to come, when a group of motivated and talented people becomes acquainted with all the details of the SDK. Designing a game into the blue, without intimate knowledge of the technical foundation that it should run on, will get one no satisfying results, at least none that I would find satisfying.

:D that is absolutely wrong. All games wether mods or commercial games from a studio begin at the concept stage without the faintest idea of which engine (whether there own or a licensed engine) is going to be used. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Incitatus
:D that is absolutely wrong. All games wether mods or commercial games from a studio begin at the concept stage without the faintest idea of which engine (whether there own or a licensed engine) is going to be used. :rolleyes:
Games no, cause they can make their own engine built around the demands.
Mods are still limited to its game and its capabilities. Source can do much, but it cant to 100% everything (just 98-99%).
The main thing that modders halt on is the demands. They put up huge demands on the engine (ie an MMORPG with 1000+ players) without knowing jack shit about it. This is realistic for a game, but not for a mod.

When any mod have gotten about 30% into development and actually produced a playable result, it might be looking promising. A concept does not. It is just on the way of looking promising.

By the looks of it many mods will be tactical shooters :(. I hope someone will make an orginal mod too with gameplay that we have never seen before

Originally posted by Diablo2k
By the looks of it many mods will be tactical shooters :(. I hope someone will make an orginal mod too with gameplay that we have never seen before
Odd enough, the gameplay of tactical shooters fits perfect as a multiplayer game.
It kind of makes sense. Original mods with original gameplay has a tendancy to not make sense. That makes it less fun in the long term. For singleplayer this is not an issue, but for multiplayer many people want a REASON to kill the other people. Note many, not all. This reason can be anything, as long as its a good one. A tactical shooters just puts itself on the table sort of speak, no problems :)

There are games that make a unique mix of it creating a unique gameplay (RPG/RTS/FPS for Savage, I havent had the pleasure of playing it yet though), but its not original, its still built as a tactical shooter, expanded with RTS and RPG elements...

If I figured out a gameplay that is so unique, has a coolness factor of 100% and can be done with HL2 models (I dont want big mods, I'm in the corner that thinks less is more), I would do it and abandon (rather, redesign) Unaimed. I have yet to come up with an good enough idea. An early idea was to scrap player vs player and go hardcore co-op mode (an extreme elaboration of my 12 players in 3 teams idea). But that has been done with Svencoop, and it would still be a tactical shooter :)

I agree with some of the points that dawdler brang up about engine capabilities. For Half-Life 2 Mods, I think a strong concept can still be developed with the Half-Life engine in mind as well as what we already know from what we have seen and read about HL2 itself.

Some mods I believe aren't exactly doing this and are starting production as well as developing a concept that goes above and beyond. This may look good at this stage, but it's important to keep things limited for now and once we know for certain the capabilities, work out from there.

I know that for my mod I have kept the Half-Life engine as well as observing the Source engine to determine what features are going to be in for certain.

The Malin Mod, in my opinion, has a great concept (simple, fun gameplay) and the story will most likely be good, because the devs keep on saying that they can't spoil it :).

Another Mod that looks promising is the cyberpunk-styled Corporate Anarchy.

But I can't wait for Malin!!

Originally posted by Argyll
I agree with some of the points that dawdler brang up about engine capabilities. For Half-Life 2 Mods, I think a strong concept can still be developed with the Half-Life engine in mind as well as what we already know from what we have seen and read about HL2 itself.

Some mods I believe aren't exactly doing this and are starting production as well as developing a concept that goes above and beyond. This may look good at this stage, but it's important to keep things limited for now and once we know for certain the capabilities, work out from there.

I know that for my mod I have kept the Half-Life engine as well as observing the Source engine to determine what features are going to be in for certain.

kudos :D,, took me forever to find a mod team that didnt have its head in the clouds

Well, Resistance and Liberation looks awesome. I Really hope that these guys get that mod done fairly soon (I hate waiting :dozey:)

The neo-tokyo mod or whatever looked realy good. Can't wait to see it finished :) also NS2 and DOD2 .. can't wait for those .. and offcourse .. CS2 .. but I have a strange feeling that it won't be the same :)

Nothing can look promising now, since no one has actually started development (except for a few teams who have the SDK). Some mods can look ambitious, but you can't say any of them look promising.

Originally posted by SpoBo
The neo-tokyo mod or whatever looked realy good. Can't wait to see it finished :) also NS2 and DOD2 .. can't wait for those .. and offcourse .. CS2 .. but I have a strange feeling that it won't be the same :)

link for the neo-tokyo mod?

from what iv'e seen...
Hostile Freedom -just looks at my sig :)
Malin
Hellblaze -this could be goood :)
4 seasons
Cama killer - ankalaaaar :)
Jurrasic Rage
Nuclear Dreams

This is just from what i imagine could be nice :)

Originally posted by alco
Nothing can look promising now, since no one has actually started development (except for a few teams who have the SDK). Some mods can look ambitious, but you can't say any of them look promising.

http://www.neotokyohq.com :D

Whoops - yeah - no we don't have the sdk. I was just replying because some one asked for the url for our mod. Must of clicked qoute for the wrong msg.

Back