Mouse Acceleration

Stormy

Companion Cube
Reaction score
what is it with this mouse acceleration crap... its so annoying when trying to play games and its so hard to turn off for games, i really hope new games will have options to turn it off as it always ruins my game

I don't get it. I myself can't tell any difference between any of them.

once you play without it its so much better you can really tell the difference.. i hate the way as you move the crosshair moves faster makes it really hard to juge how far to move the mouse and it also means that the amout you have to move it will differer everytime depending on how far you move the mouse

Yeah, I can see how thats annoying as hell. But uhmm... good practice? Make the best out of it and use those kinds of games as a frustration-free aim practice session.

tbh every game that has had it i have had to sit for ages trying to figger out how to turn it off.. it really gets to me :S things like that always do :(

Fishy, I completely feel your pain. The "mouse acceleration" "feature" in Windows XP makes it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to play games with. When you alt-tab out of games and turn it off, it will automatically turn itself back on right away. This is what first made me quit CS. I loved the stability difference between XP and 98/ME, but at the same time I couldn't play CS with XP installed because of the mouse problem.

This was obviously a huge issue, and there have been countless attempts to solve the problem, but none of them work. Apparently this problem is only pronounced with certain optical mice (MS Intellimouse Optical is notorious for this). It really does suck, and I'm glad someone else noticied this. There have been registry patches to try to fix it, changing some mouse properties to the ones 98/ME uses, but they don't change anything at all.

It's not a matter of getting used to it either. I figured that was the case at first too, and tried to just get used to it. After about 2 months, I realized this was impossible. Then upping the sensitivity just makes it more insane. It can't really be described, only felt (IMO).

For some odd reason, my Razor Boomslang does NOT have this problem, only my Intellimouse Optical. I have tried many different drivers, and anything you can think of, trust me, there is no known solution :(.

Another thing to note is that Painkiller seems not to suffer from this. HL and it's mods you can REALLY tell with the acceleration thing (you can't hit shit, you just have to feel it), but in painkiller I feel like I'm playing CS on my WinME installation... and it feels perfect.

if you have Steam i can tell you how to turn off mouse acceleration its really easy. you just put in some stuff in the launch options and it will do it. im at college right now but when i get home ill give you the commands :) you can also do it in 1.5 but i carnt remeber how :( soz

I have XP too...but I use a wireless ball mouse. Never a problem for me either...

fishymumma said:
if you have Steam i can tell you how to turn off mouse acceleration its really easy. you just put in some stuff in the launch options and it will do it. im at college right now but when i get home ill give you the commands :) you can also do it in 1.5 but i carnt remeber how :( soz

I know, I tried that and it still doesn't make it the way it SHOULD be. It is different, but the acceleration is still there. I know what you're talkin about tho..

This may seem like a fairly boneheaded response, but.. why not just disable mouse acceleration through Windows?
I've never had a problem with acceleration in CS/HL whilst disabled through the mouse control panel

i have looked in there for ages and carnt find anything about mouse acceleration :/

mayb i have missed it :/

holy crap, mouse acceleration = once it gets goin it goes faster... or slower depending on setting...jesus

to adjust go to control panel/mouse it sometimes slows/speeds up mouse and defaults when running apps hence ruining your sensitivity but really it shouldent with any new games... such as steam cs (sensitivity should be mostly based on in game slider) of course default will depend on windows mouse accel

again check out control panel/ mouse "pointer speed" is usually what it is..

Obviously that's the first thing I would check. If you read my post, you will see that even when turning off "Mouse Acceleration" through windows, it will turn itself back on autmatically, and there is no fix. This has been confirmed by valve years ago, and there is no fix for it. When XP first came out, it was a big deal to the entire CS (hell the entire HL) community, where were you?

umop said:
Obviously that's the first thing I would check. If you read my post, you will see that even when turning off "Mouse Acceleration" through windows, it will turn itself back on autmatically, and there is no fix. This has been confirmed by valve years ago, and there is no fix for it. When XP first came out, it was a big deal to the entire CS (hell the entire HL) community, where were you?

Odd. Mouse accleration doesn't switch back on for me, I had a dual boot of 98 and mouse acceleration disabled on it as well as XP, both felt the exact same.

I have an optical Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer and XP... the only time I've ever seen/heard of it was as a setting in Far Cry!

when cs first came out I played on windows ME

:LOL: anyways ive had xp since JUST BEFORE 1.5 and its never been a problem

Damn you guys... this problem is weird anyway. Some people struggle with it all the time, and most have never even heard of it.

The sad part is that this problem makes me waste a few gigs of HD space because if I want to play CS, I have to play on Win ME to have the good mouse feel, so I am forced to have a dual boot with Win whatever and ME =(.

I play games with it turned ON! It took me w while to get used to but now I find it far superior to having it turned off....

I think I have it ON and I don't have much to complain about. :D

|MaTT| said:
I play games with it turned ON! It took me w while to get used to but now I find it far superior to having it turned off....
x2

I havent found it an issue really, and I play a lot of games (not CS mind you, but pretty much everything else) and the learning curve for Acc. was minimal/non-existent.

I am sorry however , that some of you guys are having problems with it, and I wish I could help, but all I can do is wish you luck in finding a solution.

umop said:
Damn you guys... this problem is weird anyway. Some people struggle with it all the time, and most have never even heard of it.

The sad part is that this problem makes me waste a few gigs of HD space because if I want to play CS, I have to play on Win ME to have the good mouse feel, so I am forced to have a dual boot with Win whatever and ME =(.

what you wanna do is turn steam on in XP when it loads up log in etc.. go in the games tab and right click on CS and go into the propoties. In here there is another tab called launch options just copy this in -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms and it should turn it off :bounce:

Back