Should a Movie and TV forum be added?

• Yes

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

dart321

Reaction score
If they have a music and musicians forum and a general gaming forum, I think its only right to cover the other mass means of entertainment: movies and TV. I think of general off-topic more of like "my cat died" type of thing, not for discussing movies. This would help make the off-topic forum , uh, more on topic I guess. What do you think? Good Idea?

Unnecesary IMO.

I'd much rather have the rumors & speculation back.

Yeah. A section where we can discuss TV-shows, Movies and related stuff. Nice suggestion IMO. The speculation section is not needed anymore as we seem to get close to the HL2 release.

How about instead of adding a TV forum, we get rid of the music forum? This should all be in the OT area anyway.

Christ, when will it stop? Are we going to have a bass fishing forum soon?

by seperating every forum into tiny pieces, you'll successfully discourage anyone from actually reading them

The one thing I like, in a different forum that I visit, is an off shoot from gaming is a sports forum. Although I don't think too many people here would be interested in that. ;)

ShadowFox said:
How about instead of adding a TV forum, we get rid of the music forum? This should all be in the OT area anyway.

Christ, when will it stop? Are we going to have a bass fishing forum soon?

Movies and TV are a huge part of the gaming "subculture", bass and fishing are not. Ironicly, people don't just come to HL2.net to talk about Half-Life 2, they come here because it has a good community of people that like to talk about stuff such as movies, gaming, and music. This point is proved by the fact that they have two of these forums on the site. I just thought that if the moderators thought it wise to add a music forum, a movie forum couldn't be that bad of an idea.

I've pestered munro for these forums for ages including a tv / film / dvd one.

Yeah sure they are all offtopic but it doesnt mean we can't subdivide them. dod , cs and hl will all be source games should we just have a source forum ? hl2 for that matter is source as well let's stuff everything into one forum!

Obviously we aren't goign to go insane enough to add something as pointless as a bass fishing forum. Apart from anything else there is only so much hl2 news out there / that you can read and having an ot forum setup whereby threads your interested in dont get punted off to an obscure page is a good thing. Also I think it's good for the community as it gives people other things to talk about than the latest risible alyx is hot thread or equally nonsensicle pish.

Well if you are in a giving mood, why isn't there a TFC:Source forum? Or a Ricochet:Source forum?

there's even less on them available than there is for dod ... unless I've missed something ?

This will just get silly with a forum for every little thing until its reached the point where we might aswell have a forum for every user. Oh the joy that would be to have.. NOT! :p

The Dark Elf said:
This will just get silly with a forum for every little thing until its reached the point where we might aswell have a forum for every user. Oh the joy that would be to have.. NOT! :p

Exactly, there are already too many different sub-forums right now; so I vote nay!

ShadowFox said:
Well if you are in a giving mood, why isn't there a TFC:Source forum? Or a Ricochet:Source forum?

Probably because there is very little information out for both of these games right now and it would turn into a pure speculation forum.

The Dark Elf said:
This will just get silly with a forum for every little thing until its reached the point where we might as well have a forum for every user. Oh the joy that would be to have.. NOT!

As I've said before, the topic of movie and TV discussion has a wide range of interest to a lot of people. IMO, more so than Art and Design. Not everyones is an artist, but almost everyone watches movies (or has at one time).

Added! Next??!

Don't tempt me... I might just add that.

The Dark Elf said:
We could add theoretical physics, mathematics, and poetry forums to attract more intelligent and mature users. :O

Munro said:
Added! Next??!
THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

I love the movieses.

Please don't delete it now!!! ;( ;( ;(

Well, it would make sense to add it since there is already a section for music.

Thanks Munro!

damn it :\ the more forums a site has in general the more annoying it gets.

off topic wasn't overflowing with posts, now this is just fracturing the whole thing even more. should have left it at general gaming.

all these extra forums do is make it harder to read the forum.

arghrghrgrh.

CyberSh33p said:
damn it :\ the more forums a site has in general the more annoying it gets.

off topic wasn't overflowing with posts, now this is just fracturing the whole thing even more. should have left it at general gaming.

all these extra forums do is make it harder to read the forum.

arghrghrgrh.
Agreed.. I don't like it either. Oh well.. you guys discuss your movies. I'm gonna stay in the OT forum.

Now I have to visit 3 different forums for movies, music and off-topic when I used to be able to just hang out in 1. This is very much a change for the worse IMO.

Then there's the question of where to draw the line. I see just as many "relationship" type threads as I do movie or music threads. Maybe we should have a "relationship" forum. Wouldn't that be gay! Sure would.

Please set it back to how it was admins.

I wont be satisfied until we have a forum to talk about kitchen furniture

DarkStar said:
Now I have to visit 3 different forums for movies, music and off-topic when I used to be able to just hang out in 1. This is very much a change for the worse IMO.

Then there's the question of where to draw the line. I see just as many "relationship" type threads as I do movie or music threads. Maybe we should have a "relationship" forum. Wouldn't that be gay! Sure would.

Please set it back to how it was admins.

Yes. It is getting a bit too burdensome to navigate so many different off-topic forums.

If they were completely different things, yes I can see separating them, but I doubt there will be enough topics to populate a movie forum, much less a music forum. So remove the movie and music forums and put them back in to OT chat.

If you had to add a forum, add a sports forum since it is different from typical off-topic chat about movies, games, and other things. Conversations about sports are completely different than most off-topic chats.

I think you should re-add the speculation forum as well.

People! It's not that bad! Your complaining because now you have to surf three forums to find the topics you like? The purpose of adding this forum is so you can find the topics you like, instead of having to sort through a bunch of uninteresting posts about cat tranquilizers. It just makes the forum feel a bit more clean and categorized IMO.

Sure, you can over do it. But how does making three separate forums for the three biggest means of entertainment and pastime make the forum harder to navigate for you people? Now if you like to go into a forum without anything to share or not having any idea of what topics you want to discuss, then just go to the off-topic forum!

dart321 said:
People! It's not that bad! Your complaining because now you have to surf three forums to find the topics you like? The purpose of adding this forum is so you can find the topics you like, instead of having to sort through a bunch of uninteresting posts about cat tranquilizers. It just makes the forum feel a bit more clean and categorized IMO.

Sure, you can over do it. But how does making three separate forums for the three biggest means of entertainment and pastime make the forum harder to navigate for you people? Now if you like to go into a forum without anything to share or not having any idea of what topics you want to discuss, then just go to the off-topic forum!
problem is many people would like to discuss all three, but not to an insane extent. I'd like to throw my two cents in on music, movies, tv, whatever, but having to navigate through three different forums to find anything is just annoying really, and ends up with boring political discussion 24/7 in OT(instead of 17 hours a day as it is now), and the rest of the forums being very unpopulated.

Although "No" won in this, there is a movie forum, and "yes" won on the speculation forums but there is none.

But it is only really 1 more click. About 2 seconds, and you have an entire forum on your favorite thing - movies. Erm, for me at least :)

Maybe they would be better off as Sub-Forums in General Off-topic? I don't care either way, but I like them having their own forums. ;( Please don't get rid of them ;( ;(

I find the omg harder to navigate stuff fairly laughable to be honest, it's not like it the forum suddenly requires a larger amount of energy or intelligence to use.

For one I've always foudn OT to be far too cluttered and reduced my browsing of it accordingly. Frankly it's no different than having the different games for source or different forums for anything else. We didnt get complaints about the doom3 forum when that was "general gaming"

Equally by the same argument all the editing forums should be merged into , but that doesnt make nay more sense does it ?

I get your argument , I dont agree with it , but I get it. Let's just give it time to settle in first shall we before we launch another round of whinging for no greater reason than it takes more clicks or that it's different.

And for the record I've been pestering munro to put the spec forum back.

Hot Soup said:
Frankly it's no different than having the different games for source or different forums for anything else. We didnt get complaints about the doom3 forum when that was "general gaming"

You didn't get any complaints about the Doom 3 forum because it was useful when Doom 3 first came out. Earlier this summer it became evident that every other topic in general gaming was going to be about Doom 3, so it totally made sense to add an extra forum for it. It could probably be removed now and nobody would mind.

Not every other topic in "off-topic" is about music or movies. Far from it actually. To be honest, it would make MUCH more sense to have a politics forum if you're doing seperate ones for movies or music because there are far more threads on politics than anything else really. Now "off-topic" is going to be more politically centered than it already was.

Spafra said:
Although "No" won in this, there is a movie forum, and "yes" won on the speculation forums but there is none.

Democracy in action. :rolleyes:

I agree with that Darkstar. A political forum is much more needed than a movies forum.

ShadowFox said:
I agree with that Darkstar. A political forum is much more needed than a movies forum.
Ya but how many people would be needed to moderate it? :O

DarkStar said:
You didn't get any complaints about the Doom 3 forum because it was useful when Doom 3 first came out. Earlier this summer it became evident that every other topic in general gaming was going to be about Doom 3, so it totally made sense to add an extra forum for it. It could probably be removed now and nobody would mind.

Not every other topic in "off-topic" is about music or movies. Far from it actually. To be honest, it would make MUCH more sense to have a politics forum if you're doing seperate ones for movies or music because there are far more threads on politics than anything else really.

Political forum = flames.

dart321 said:
Political forum = flames.
This is such a dumb argument. So instead of having the flames in the political forum we should have them in the OT forum?

There is NO logic to that argument.

ShadowFox said:
This is such a dumb argument. So instead of having the flames in the political forum we should have them in the OT forum?

There is NO logic to that argument.

There is not nearly as many flames in a political thread in OT than if it was in a political forum. Why? In a political forum EVERYTHING is centered on politics thus, everything can easily leak to any other post. As I stated in the other thread: how can you possible take Kerry's Vietnam record seriously when they have a post about bear crap two below it? You can't. It lightens the mood whether your consciously aware of that or not. So yes, I'd much rather flames be contained in one thread than on an entire forum.

dart321 said:
There is not nearly as many flames in a political thread in OT than if it was in a political forum. Why? In a political forum EVERYTHING is centered on politics thus, everything can easily leak to any other post. As I stated in the other thread: how can you possible take Kerry's Vietnam record seriously when they have a post about bear crap two below it? You can't. It lightens the mood whether your consciously aware of that or not. So yes, I'd much rather flames be contained in one thread than on an entire forum.
The problem is any topic on politics degenerates into flames eventually anyway, so at the moment we have plenty of threads that are closed in OT as it is.

I don't possibly see how you can advocate a TV forum and not a political forum. It defies my logic.

ShadowFox said:
I don't possibly see how you can advocate a TV forum and not a political forum. It defies my logic.

A TV forum contains less flames. A political forum would contain more flames. True, there are more political posts in OT than about TV and movies but with the amount of chaos that forum would probably generate, it would just be counterproductive and avoided.

ShadowFox said:
The problem is any topic on politics degenerates into flames eventually anyway, so at the moment we have plenty of threads that are closed in OT as it is.

First, not all political discussions end in flames. That doesn't mean we should help them do so. I'm not quite understanding. You would rather political discussion threads be closed in a separate forum than in OT? Does it really matter?

Well, as long as they keep it reasonable like they're doing now, I don't see why we should vote against important enough things getting their own section.
It's been pretty chaotic with the Off-Topic forum having all kinds of discussion like it used to be, one thread being about a certain link, another one being about a movie, another one being about an artist or at some cases, even a song (Gotta love that Taco - Putting on the Ritz thread :D).

This way it's much tidier and you always know where to discuss a certain thing. All we need is a Weekly Thread and the forum will be complete. :)

Back