"Mr." Freeman?

Sean

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems ludicrous, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I felt it needs to be said.

Why is everyone always calling Gordon "Mr." Freeman? He does, after all, have a doctorate. Shouldn't it be "Dr." Freeman? Also, in the original Half-Life, his player model has no glasses. How'd he see?

Yeesh, it's like plot hole central. :rolleyes:

Mr. Freeman sounds cooler.

Half-Life 1 wasn't Max Payne, you weren't supposed to play in 3rd person view.

1. not everyone knows he has a doctorite/they dont care/ have no respect/ just prefer to say Mr.

2. Contacts

Side-topic: Isn`t Freeman also married or something? If you look inside his closet in #1 you can see a photo of a kid or something. Anyone know what I´m talking about?

I'm pretty sure the photo of the family was an easter egg for some of the developers or something.

And "Mr Freeman" Sounds better.. but technically he could be a doctor. I guess it's sort of his choice. A lot of people with phd's choose not to call themselves "Doctor -".

mister is just a way to adress people in a formal way...

and im not too sure freeman is a dr... i think hes just a generica scientist

Kinseek Freeman isnt married and has no children.. it was one of the reasons he was hired... read the 'letter' from the manual

it could be because Gman considers himself a higher rank and therefore doesnt feel the need to address freeman with any special acolades

Kinseek said:
Side-topic: Isn`t Freeman also married or something? If you look inside his closet in #1 you can see a photo of a kid or something. Anyone know what I´m talking about?
Yeah, Kinseek asked the question.

He is most definately a doctor; the P.A. system refers to him as "Dr. Freeman" in the beginning of Half-Life 1. As for the glasses, contacts are possible, I suppose, but it's just not Gordon to me without those bodacious specs. :D

By the way, IMHO Dr. Freeman sounds cooler. Not too many action heroes are Theoretical Physicists, after all.

? I was answering Kinseek's question so I said Kinseek.... no typos here :)

G-man says "Mr. Freeman" in roughly the same tone as Agent Smith says "Mr. Anderson" in the Matrix movies.

It's a tone that just smacks of condescension.

oh, and you have played the game and know all the lines of the plot?

ALYX

if you watch the live video of the "gabe" interviews, he says that alyx is gabe's daughter.

Alyx is Eli's daughter. I'm not sure if Gabe Newell has a daughter or not, though.

the graphics in hl1 were better than in hl2 its just that as you said, gordon wasnt wearing his glasses so everything looks more blurry. They did it so you would feel more like gordon, i mean who actually thought his glasses would stay on during all that action?

slider3005 said:
the graphics in hl1 were better than in hl2 its just that as you said, gordon wasnt wearing his glasses so everything looks more blurry. They did it so you would feel more like gordon, i mean who actually thought his glasses would stay on during all that action?
Hehe... Yeah, just go into the console, put c_put_on_glasses 1, and see with clarity!

That would be an awesome addition to a mod, IMHO; make it so everything gets blurry if you lose your glasses. :D

That would be strange. Your in the middle of a huge firefight in CS and your teamate runs blindly into the bomb site, he gets killed and so do you and he tells you 'my glasses got shot off'. >.> Neh.

this is a halflife2 forum right? so why are we discussing glasses? :rolleyes:

"Mr. Freeman", as in, "Okay now, please put down that shotgun, Mister...", heheh.

Oh, and technically I'd call the player model in HL a blooper, as it was never supposed to be played from a 3rd person perspective, and official art elsewhere has him actually wearing a helmet.

It also leads one to speculate into the Gman/Gordan relation theory... but that is strictly a rumor at this point.

Sean said:
Sorry if this seems ludicrous, and I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I felt it needs to be said.

Why is everyone always calling Gordon "Mr." Freeman? He does, after all, have a doctorate. Shouldn't it be "Dr." Freeman? Also, in the original Half-Life, his player model has no glasses. How'd he see?

The player model was obviously an old version which they didn't bother to update or didn't have time to.

cadaveca said:
Wake up and smell the ashes...of what you left behind and your daughter's death...

I hope someone hasn't been reading any scripts again.. I'll report you to the moderators anyway, just to be sure.

Kinseek said:

This has been covered to death. No, Freeman is not married.

Cadaveca, do not post spoilers

You have been warned

people who insist on being called doctor are just pathetic. quote: my lecturer "i worked hard for this phd, so you can call me doctor".

i'd prefer to call him sir jackass

Men are typically addressed as "Mr." or "Mister", regardless of whether or not they're married. For an unmarried women however, they would be called "Miss" or "Miz".

in hl2 I hope u have to put ur glasses on and they can fall off and ur hearing aid runs out of batteries that would make it schweet

X2Cube said:
in hl2 I hope u have to put ur glasses on and they can fall off and ur hearing aid runs out of batteries that would make it schweet

ahahhaha !

Mechagodzilla said:
Exactly.... Unless Gordon is her mother!!!! :eek:

Remind me of the movie Thumbwars. (Parody on starwars).

"Luke... I am your... MOTHEEERRR!!!"

Back