Multiple Topics.

Should Half-Life 2 be scary??

• Yes

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters
Personally, I just can't find anything scary with any sci-fi theme beyond just surprise. No matter how dark, or how gory or how disgusting, sci-fi doesn't do it for me. Ghosts/spirits and the supernatural really get me.
HL1 had some tense moments, some surprising moments and some panic moments and that's good enough for me for HL2.

no, half-life wasn't relly scary, and it was rarely creepy (though at a few points it was...) It did have it's surprises though. Leave me all jumpy fot ten minutes LOL.

i just remembered another creepy game, x-com (the first one). doing the terror defense missions was always so frickin creepy. having yor soldiers in ten different places, and suddenly you get attacked out of the shadows by some wierd alien you've never seen, and then suddenly three guys are dead, and one of them is now attacking you. i dunno. that was always scary to me. that was a long time ago, of course.

-Phision

Of course Half-Life 2 should be scary. It does really make the game longer and sometimes it’s maybe so scary that you won’t take that way etc.
It really makes the game more alive IMO.

This may sound hokey, but my scariest moment was in Doom...I had been fighting those flying skulls for a bit and was getting kinda annoyed at them, and i heard what i thought was another. I turn a corner, and see nothing. Uh. I turn around and there's one of those really big round fireball spitting things, first time i'd seen one. Fell out of my chair honest.

Originally posted by Typhon
...I turn around and there's one of those really big round fireball spitting things, first time i'd seen one. Fell out of my chair honest.

Hahahah. Same thing happened to me when I first saw Barney.:(

I agree with fifty7var, who the heck is going to post "sheesh, I hope Half-Life 2 isn't scary, it would ruin the game..." The Half-Life series has way more variation than to just be labeled as a horror game such as resident evil or silent hill. I think Valve was going for the more survivalist / creepy / action / adventure / sci-fi / epic saga kind of a game. And if they do a good job on HL2, the gaming experience will entail so many feelings and cross over so many genres that I think the "Should it be scary?" question is kinda...offensive to the game
:eek: .

Originally posted by MotleycrewL
I agree with fifty7var, who the heck is going to post "sheesh, I hope Half-Life 2 isn't scary, it would ruin the game..." The Half-Life series has way more variation than to just be labeled as a horror game such as resident evil or silent hill. I think Valve was going for the more survivalist / creepy / action / adventure / sci-fi / epic saga kind of a game. And if they do a good job on HL2, the gaming experience will entail so many feelings and cross over so many genres that I think the "Should it be scary?" question is kinda...offensive to the game
:eek: .
Good point. :cheers:

-Phison

yea...it makes the scary parts MORE scary..

and judging from the traptown, you go from combat to scary pretty quickly, like in HL1...

Back