Must-have albums

Rush is a strange phenomenon in that most fans I've spoken to don't really favour one album in particular, but the 4 album era they caught the bus. All the rest for them kind of spread out around that like a shockwave.
There are others I like equally as much, but my era would be '82 - '87, Signals through Hold Your Fire, Power Windows being the epicentre, so to speak.

Some others I would recommend for your playlist:

Tulsa Drone - No Wake
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Unkle - Psyence Fiction

my fave rush era is probably from 2112 to grace under pressure ..ya I know that's a big chunk of their career ..never did like hold your fire or power windows as much ...kinda lost interest after hold your fire (which is saying a lot: that's almost 20 years worth of being a fanboy)

The Travelling Wilburys volumes 1 & 3, despite the fact that noone on this forum seems to have heard of them(poor show for a music forum).

Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Children of Bobom - Hatebreeder
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
In Flames - Whoracle
In Flames - Clayman
In Flames - Come Clarity
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
Korn - Greatest Hits Vol 1
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Metallica - And Justice For All
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Megadeth - The System Has Failed
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Rammstein - Live Aus Berlin
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Tool - AEnima
Tool - 10000 Days

I might be forgetting something but yeah

I only read this last page, so here are my current recommendations:

Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - With_Teeth
Gorillaz - Demon Days
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Also, the Dead Kennedys do really, really suck. Along with most breakthrough punk music of that era as well. Yes, these bands essentially created the Punk genre, but that doesn't mean they were good.

I disagree ..punk music can have depth to it ..but if you were to look at the blink-182's of the world or dead kennedy's you wouldnt find all that much to admire ..however true punk isnt just the Kenndy's ..it's also Lou reed/velvet underground, the ramones, and iggy pop and the stooges ..and even elvis costello (early) ...dont forget that punk started in the art houses of new york before it ever migrated to the UK ..even though by the time it hit it's peak in popularity it hardly resembed it's early roots

Don't forget the clash and the sonic youth( 80's material, *ucking orgasmic)

Yeah, punk can have depth to it, but most of those songs seem to be completely trod over by, well, everything else in the genre.

And the Ramones? ... Hmm. After rethinking for a couple seconds, I don't mind them. A lot of their songs sound awfully alike though, almost to a Nickelback-esque level.

I find the Dead Kennedys songwriting great. It's not just the generic same-old-same old political stuff, it's the way Biafra adds his own dark sense of humour, wit and sarcasm to the subjects. It makes me smile. And for technicality... well, I could care less for whether music is technical or not. If it sounds good, then I'll listen to it. And back then, when DK were in their prime, that was original stuff. Not anymore, no, and it has been, as Stigmata said, trodden over by other bands, but no one can quite match it to how Dead Kennedys did it.

As for bands like The Ramones and The Sex Pistols, the 'true' bands, I honestly find them very boring. The Sex Pistols just don't make me nod my head and his voice really grates me, and The Ramones just... well, the same, except he has an okay voice, so just instrumentally really.

All of the Muse albums and their live performances on DVD! Quite literally, amazing!

Pfff, I can't be concise somehow. Other titles will prolly pop up in a while but this is what I came up with. The list is more or less chronologically:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Neil Young - Harvest
Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass
Kula Shaker - K
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Air - Moon Safari
Manu Chao - Clandestino
Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
R.E.M. In time the best of REM

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

That's easily my favorite album of all time. Its all you really need. Those guys were friggin geniuses.

LIES!! :flame:

It was a good album to be honest, did have some fillers like Vanishing Light and shit, but it was a nice comeback mix of the old In Flames (Colony-ish) and the new In Flames (Reroute/Soundtrack).

LOL, thread's still going strong and I've not checked in here for a good week ^^

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Yep, good stuff :thumbs:

All of the Muse albums and their live performances on DVD! Quite literally, amazing!
Agreed on the live DVD, can't wait till they do another one. For that matter, can't wait for another opportunity to actually see em.

LOL, thread's still going strong and I've not checked in here for a good week ^^

Yep, good stuff :thumbs:

Agreed on the live DVD, can't wait till they do another one. For that matter, can't wait for another opportunity to actually see em.

Seen them once before down in London as part of their Absulution tour and it was awsome, seeing them again this November in Glasgow as part of their Black Holes and Revelations tour which should prove to be very good indeed xD

I'll be perfectly honest, hardley any albums in this thread are 'Must-Have' albums, even the ones I posted.

Grace Under Pressure is an awesome album. While they heavy use of synths might make it sound a bit dated I don't think so personally. If I had to pick a Rush album it'd be 2112 and/or Moving Pictures though.

I'd also like to add:

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (If you're a progressive rock/metal fan this is a must, this is one of the albums that kick started the whole movement).
Deep Purple - In Rock / Machine Head (Just awesome hard rock albums).

I'll be perfectly honest, hardley any albums in this thread are 'Must-Have' albums, even the ones I posted.

Well, no... there can't be a defining must-have collection of albums due to the opinions of others. Theres some here I agree on, and some I don't. It's pretty expected and simple to be honest. Of course, theres the rubbish Q and other magazines do saying albums like Zeppelin or Black Sabbath are the essentials because of what they defined over what the music actually sounds like, but it's horses for courses... or something.

Must-have as in the pinaccle of their genre.. for example a specific Metallica album not 30-odd albums by generic metal band with 'cool' sounding name.

Must-have as in the pinaccle of their genre.. for example a specific Metallica album not 30-odd albums by generic metal band with 'cool' sounding name.
Kinda why I said "post one", even though I said it knowing it wouldn't last :)

What I meant by must-have is an album you'd recommend to someone regardless of their tastes. Or, yeah, an album that stands out in it's genre, or even defies genre (rare, since everything has it's own f*cking genre now, but you know). Basically an album you think just about anyone could, nay should give a listen. And hey, maybe some won't agree, but they'd be in the minority as long as it was a solid recommendation.

So yeah, just try and consider how others might take to what you've posted, rather than just posting your own favourite albums all over again ;)

Because it's so hard to define must-have and a lot easier to simply list the albums that you personally recommend.

In my list i'd say the PF ones are must-have because there is a lot of background to the music, OK Computer is debatable but is a very well put together album even if you're not a fan of the type of music.

Hail to the Thief and BH&R are blatantly just some of my favourites and the REM album was listed because it has some classics on that everyone knows.

Well... not really. I chose albums that I, myself, thin are must-have, as the thread asks. I don't really care much for albums that defined something or revoloutionised music to what it is today. I just think the albums I chose are stonking great albums that I think are... well, awesome.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Broken Social Scene - Self-titled
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
Iron and Wine - Woman King (EP)

Back