Must I install HL2:DM?

S

Sever

Okay, HL2 has been working fine for me up untill awhile ago. It suddenly wouldn't start, so I updated.

Now everytime I try to play, it tries to download DM. Is there anyway I could get around it?

(If I had DSL I would get it, but i have a crappy 56k connection and DLing would take HOURS).

Right click on hl2dm in the play games menu, go into properties and disable the "Always keep this game up to date" option

Dang, I have more trouble.
I turned off auto-update for HL2(and DM), but when I try to play offline it states that it is not ready to be played offline. So when I attempt to play it online it starts updating again.

Sever said:
Dang, I have more trouble.
I turned off auto-update for HL2(and DM), but when I try to play offline it states that it is not ready to be played offline. So when I attempt to play it online it starts updating again.

leave auto update on for hl2, there was a recent patch that it will need to get, once its downloaded, switch off updating :)

Alright, I've installed the updates. The game still insists that its not ready to be played offline. Online, it starts up, but freezes at the load screne.

Not having a good day are you?

Assuming your on an "All you can eat" style connection, just leave it on and ignore your computer for an hour. See if anythings happening after an hour or so.

Is the cd in the drive? The only time I had that was when I forgot to put it in.. :eek:

don't forget you can use the steam monitor to, well, monitor the download progress. it's in the steam menu under, er, monitor.

Ah. I'll get someone to donwload when I'm taking my finals or something.
Got plenty on time to kill on that day(after teh test).

It is not 'freezing' at the load screen. It is actually updating, same thing happened to me. Just give it time you make think it froze but it didn't, its just downloading and installing still.

Back