My Creative X-Fi review

NJspeed

Reaction score
In the last week, I read a lot of reviews of the new X-Fi sound cards by Creative. Most were pretty good, however, there was a real lack of actual user reviews, so here's mine.

First, understand I was upgrading my new PC from Sigmatel onboard high def audio to the base X-Fi Xtrememusic for $129.

I run the sound via analog outputs to my 5.1 home theater receiver, which basically just acts as a 100w/channel amp. I also have another PC with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz that I've hooked up to the same home theater on many previous occasions. Plus, I have a DVD player also hooked up.

The best comparison to me was watching "The Running Man" with Arnold Schwarzenegger on my PC versus the DVD player. The sound WAS better. You can actually hear new things in the movie. Trust me, I've seen it 50-100 times since I was 10 years old and I know every little sound. So I was astonished. I've never heard the Mendez chick say "Its a syntheeeesizer" before saying "I'm a musician". Yeah, I was like WOW. Then during the scenes with the crowd you can definately hear every little voice of every person! I was impressed.

I also tested it with Half Life 2 of course and Doom 3. The main comparison I've had to this was playing them on the same setup on my other PC with the Santa Cruz. Obviously the X-Fi is a huge step up from the Santa Cruz and it's evident in the sound, what else can I say. Not only were sounds crisper and sharper, the surround effects were much improved. With the Santa Cruz, the rears werent loud and crisp enough but now they sound wonderful on my Paradigm speakers.

The best part is the control panel where you can control each speaker individually.

On headphones, the X-Fi is supposed to have one of the most advanced simulated surround abilities on the market, and it's pretty good. Honestly though, the Santa Cruz always sounded great on my Sennheisers too. It's on headphones where the X-Fi got a lot of high marks but I can't say the improvement was that huge really. You can tell when something is behind you but the front/center channel just sound like they are above you or in you.. If you hear a moving sound, you can definately track it a little bit more than the Santa Cruz, but sound quality seemed the same. Perhaps because it's not a high end system - just headphones.

In conclusion, yeah the X-Fi is probably the best sound card on the market right now. I'd buy it if you were in my position, building a new system or you just like gaming or listening to music/movies with the best equipment on the market. However like other reviews have said, if you have an Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 4, or your just happy enough with your sound, keep it.. The increase in sound and quality will be there in everything you can do, but its not going to make you wet your pants. I also have good speakers and that probably lends a lot to it, so upgrade your speakers before you upgrade to an X-Fi. That being said, it is a great card and I like having one.

thanks for this, i'm really looking into getting one, i just have the onboard sound right now, and this should be a huge upgrade

Back