My first map waht do you think?

Did abit to it made it dark.. added street lights.. added in the path :) looks better now i think with some more lighting effects tell me what u think.

build010015.jpg

build010016.jpg

build010017.jpg

build010018.jpg

I know this is gonna piss you off, but the lamps would look better if they weren't screwed into grass! If you don't want to have to worry about chopping up the displacements you can always create a flat concrete base that sits on top of the grass.

I think the light streaming out of the window is a bit overexaggerated. The light is more likely to dissipate, even at that ambient level of darkness. That sort of effect is usually reserved for enclosed, interior sections where light is filtering in from outside. In addition to this a light source producing this effect should usually boast the illuminative power of a small star, i.e. the sun :p

I quite like the darkness, though. It just goes to show how much difference lighting can make. This said, I think it works almost as well in the light, so I'd tailor the light to suit the experience you want to give the player. For instance, where is the player going to start, inside or outside? If they start outside the darkness would make them feel a bit like an intruder, prowling around a place they are not familiar with. The light inside the buildings would then contrast with the outside darkness, making the player slightly more comfortable as they can see ahead of them. Conversely, a player entering from the external light of day into an unknown, darkly lit habitat will arouse uneasiness at the moment of entry as their visual perception (or at least that of the character) is reduced and their means of escape becomes more limited as they are enclosed within the confines of a building whose layout they are unsure of. A reversal of situation would have entry or intrusion swapped for escape or freedom. A player moving from internal light (a homely, protected space) would be confronted with an expanse of darkness (unknown, uncharted domain). The opposite of this would be a player moving from dark, dank imprisonment to the enlightening experience of freedom.

So there's a bit more to mapping than just textures and lighting ;)

Yeh i understand that as for the light from the window that was just me testing out that kinda way of produceing light in a set area :)! and also the lampost ill fix in abit.. i prefer the darkness around that part of the map.. it makes it feel alot more high secruity in a way even with just 3 combine marine's there it just make's it feel that much more.. scary in a way.. dont know what's going to happen behind the next cornor etc.. this is atually where i was planing to start off the map though.. Just out side the building... where u go in to and go on from there etc.. so it's mainly going to be a inbuilding theme.. but i want the intro to the map to look as good as the rest tbh.. I think ill take out the light from the window and keep the darkness fix lampost's base.. and then look at other small things i can fix.. and see how it goes from there on i guess :D! thanks for comments all!

Back