My G-Man Speculation

Retro_X

Reaction score
Those who have finished HL2 will kinda know what I will be talking about in my first speculations.

Who, or what is the G-Man?
Both in HL1 and HL2, you see the G-Man in many different places. Especially in HL2, you see him in places where you've travelled miles with either your buggy or the hovercraft. How is it possible that the G-Man can travel so quickly, and be infront of you wherever you are? I have no idea of how he does it. Could he be an alien? Could he be a machine with teleporting capabilities? Why does he have that suitcase with him wherever he goes? What exactly IS in that suitcase? Could it be a teleporting device of some kind?

Also, at the end, he spoiler)[
freezes everything, except you. No human can do that
]So what exactly is he?

While I still hold my bias that the G-Man is NOT an alien, there is enough evidence to support some research into the matter. However, I fail to see where you came up with the notion that the G-Man is a machine. Please refer to my signature. Even if he's not a man, he is at the very least flesh and blood. And if they could build a teleportation machine that could do the things G-Man does, why not just build a smaller version of the device that a human or alien could carry around, and not go through the trouble of creating a T-800, terminator-style android, with synthetic flesh and blood, an endoskeleton, etc.?

How can the G-Man do the things he does? My guess is it's simply technology. Could be human, could be alien in origin, but it is advanced technology at work.

Now, I've been reading a lot of people's speculation on HL2 and the whole ending with the G-Man and how he seems to have 'paused' everything. Also, he appears to be wherever you are, how that is possible is unknown because you travel so far and so quickly.

Anyways, on with my speculation. As everyone knows, this was, again, a test. At the start, you see the gman talking to you, with images in the background. Some of those images are from inside the citadel. Some are from the happenings back at Black Mesa. What if the world you are in is something similar to the matrix? I mean, he did 'pause' it..and you are still in bio-stasis inside the citadel? I mean, you are kinda of having 'dreams' while they "plug you in", while the gman is talking to you.

I don't know...this just popped into my head.

I think Laidlaw is too smart to include anything resembling The Matrix into the story.

The G-man has access to incredible technology, technology that makes the Combine pale in comparison. Whoever he is working for must be powerful beyond belief. When the G-man came and stopped time, I got the feeling that the Combine isn't actually a big deal. Just some obstacle that someone wanted to remove. And it got removed.

After Gordon battles the Combine for days, and survives againts all odds, the G-man just simply throws a switch, freezes time and teleports Gordon away, as if nothing happened. It makes the evens seem insignificant.

This is all just too confusing actually. I wonder, and hope, if everything will be answered in HL3...

remember the bit where breen said to u something like " Did u realise ur services were open to the highest bidder? i understand if u dont want to talk about it in front of ur friends.....you are just a pawn...etc"

i think g-man is working for the combine and manipulating you into doing its dirty work. Defo alien not to be trusted.

I agree with Darkside55 that it is simply technology he is using. Kleiner speculates that they have created a slow teleporter and I think this is what the G-Man uses at the end. In the first game the scientists were struggling to perfect teleportation, whilst the G-Man had complete control over it. In Half-Life 2 the G-Man's organisation has already developed time control teleportation whilst Kleiner is only beginning to come across it.

I'll stick by my own theory though and say that only Gordon, and possibly Alyx, sees the explosion stop because they have been teleported to another location. The gravity is low when he speaks to you, but this could be slow motion, even though he continues to move at normal speed.

I think the G-Man is human, but like Breen he is working for some sort of "universal union" whose aim is to limit the power of the Combine. The question is whether the G-Man put Freeman in City-17 because he was hired, or because Kleiner and Eli had finally set up their own teleporter.

Darkside55 said:
While I still hold my bias that the G-Man is NOT an alien, there is enough evidence to support some research into the matter. However, I fail to see where you came up with the notion that the G-Man is a machine. Please refer to my signature. Even if he's not a man, he is at the very least flesh and blood. And if they could build a teleportation machine that could do the things G-Man does, why not just build a smaller version of the device that a human or alien could carry around, and not go through the trouble of creating a T-800, terminator-style android, with synthetic flesh and blood, an endoskeleton, etc.?

How can the G-Man do the things he does? My guess is it's simply technology. Could be human, could be alien in origin, but it is advanced technology at work.

The G-man IS NOT human, read the Bio for him in the guide, clear hints, (his trouble with human speech...etc.)

Ok I this is what I think
I think the Gman is basically a 'good guy'. I think he sent freeman to city17 to save the people. He says at the end something about needing you again next time. Maybe next time the world needs help?

Goldon will be too old by then. I say in HL3, Goldon will be replaced.

I think the resistance purchased Gordon..if Alyx respone when breen was talking about gordons contract is any clue...

A2597 said:
I think the resistance purchased Gordon..if Alyx response when Breen was talking about Gordons contract is any clue...
hhuummm... every interesting... also i think that the G-man "paused/slowed/stopped" Gordon's perception of the explosion... Alyx is ok.. Dog popped up there and saved her.

A2597 said:
I think the resistance purchased Gordon..if Alyx respone when breen was talking about gordons contract is any clue...

purchased but at what cost? What does the Gman get for setting gorden loose? highest bidder..

I'm starting to believe that the rebellion was the highest bidder and the G-Man "Lent" gordon.
I believe that the G-Man is simply business. Yet what does he get in return? What are people bidding?
I think the G-Man has his own agenda. I bet you arn't the first person hes done this to. Infact, I think that the reason why he can slow\pause time and everything is because of what people bid on. What he is being givin. Thus I also believe he is a scientist. That he takes these technology..and changes\improves them.. Thus that is how he has gained such technology to do what he has.

I believe he is using these things he gains from these bidders into building something.... of some sort.

(Btw, Also, gman is actually a word. It's a Federal Agent. gman is a real word.)

I now believethat The gman is a Parasite like Creature within the G-man body.
At the end of hl2 when you chasing Dr breen Dr breen Askes the Combine creature to help him get away. The creature tells dr breen to go though the portal. Breen then complains about the Combine plantet not being suitable for humans the Combine alian thing then suggests breen taking a Host or somthing. It suggests that its possable with Combine technology to have one creature to take another as a host....

im most likely wrong though

CountShockula, if by "clear hints" you mean, "rampant speculation designed to spur crazy-ass rumors," then yes, I agree with you. :p Listen, let's break this down a bit.

G-Man has a speech impediment. While it is not impossible to say that this makes him an alien, it is very, very, very improbable. True, it's probably one of the weirdest speech impediments ever and you will not likely find a person with such a problem in real life, but that's just a quirk, not a dead giveaway of extraterrestrial origins.

And that's really all the guide has in the way of "proof," doesn't it? His voice. Just like, "he may OR MAY NOT be an agent of a rogue government." That's a clear hint if I ever heard one. He may or may not be a giant three-legged space panda in a human suit, as well. True story.

Bottomline is this: nobody outside of Valve knows who or what the G-Man is. Maybe only specific people within Valve know. Maybe nobody knows, but that's a stretch because Valve seems to be winding a tale with the G-Man that must end up somewhere, and in order for the parts in HL1 and HL2 to make sense there must be a clear outline on the G-Man.
What I'm getting at is that the Prima guide, which, although official, is, in fact, a third-party item, nobody over at Prima knows who the G-Man is, what the G-Man is, where the G-Man is from, who his leaders are, or what his agenda is. The guys over at Prima are just like everybody else in the community who believes there's something fishy and not quite human about the G-Man.

Now, let me close by saying that I have not completely ruled out the fact that G-Man might be an alien. However, it will take more than some odd pauses and inflections in his speech to convince me. There's some more telling evidence out there too if you delve deeper, which really has little to do with the fact that he can teleport, and now time-travel. Until some stark evidence is found to the contrary, my personal bias is that he is a human.

Some people said that the rebellion was the highest bidder, and that the g-man "lent" you out to them.

That could probably be true. I mean, wherever you are, he's there, "watching" over you. At the end

the gman had to stop time, and get gordon out of there to save him, so that he can make more money from you you

who knows....he's maybe lending you out, but he is taking care of you.

I don't think the rebellion purchased Gordon :) I don't think they even knew where he was. When breen talks about the highest bidder, I believe he is refering to his benefactors, and that the gman was in fact leading freeman on to be captured and hand over the rebllion. After all, what does it matter that some combine (human...some possibly engineered, but still human) soldiers died in the process. It would leave Earth firmly in their control. No more resistance, and no more Vortigaunts either.

I think we are all thinking about this too much and should give up and wait, cuz most likely we're all wrong except for me because I am awesome.

After reading other people's post and playing the game for myself, i am of the opinion that the gman is a contractor for the future. he has the power to wield time and he has complete control over gordon freeman. with these tools he can create whatever future he so pleases or the future that pleases the "highest bidder." perhaps the entire game of halflife 2 was chosen by humans in the future who never were able to free themselves from the combine. once the citadel is destroyed and the combine's hold on earth is in shambles gordon and the gman job is complete. maybe this is why the game ends without much resolution; no reason for gordon to stay (and its not like we would ever see a cutscene).

Breen obviously knows about the G-man, and how he has contracted Freeman.

In his end speech when he has you, Alyx and Eli in those pods he says such things as,

"Fortunatly the resistance has shown they are ready to accept a new leader, and this one has proven to be a fine pawn to those who control him".

And then he says,

"You do your services are being offered to the highest bidder?"

ect ect, Valve havent made this story easy on purpose, but if you listen and read between the lines, you can make alot of sence of it.

Back