my new map and sum problems im having

twinsen

Reaction score
Im making this really cool map called de_destroyer. as you can guess its guna be set on a destroyer. I have made most of the hull and it works fine.
destroyer50000.jpg

But I have a few problems. First of all I cant seem to compile the level anymore.
I have saved version6 but when i make changes to the level and try compiling iut says windows cannot find file specified. Can any1 help me as I cannot proceed with the level untill I can check that the guys can fit in my ventilation shafts. I know tht sounds dodgey btw.:flame: :flame: :flame:

Compile log...?

Really, what do you people think that big box with all the text in it is? A fanciful decoration? Some sort of emergent A.I. within Hammer?

It is really a cryptic language insulting you.

i thought so... lousy ai :sniper: anyway try restarting your steam client a lot of people have had problems since yesterdays (8/10) update.

im not a noob u idiot raven i know wat the compile log is BUT i was wondering y it did it now and not b4. I cant fins any reason for it to buggar up. Is this just sum thing hammer dus to annoy u. Ive heard from other forums that if you copy and paste into another file and save as a different file it works. y the hell dus it do this is it just a bug.

If a new BSP isn't created, it's because a critical error during the VBSP stage of compilation prevented it.

Since this is fairly basic compiler knowledge, I'd advise you to carefully reconsider the first few words of your post ;)

very well ur not an idiot. Happy now.I have loads of servers lined up who will take my map on and like the sound of it. this is only my second ever map so i dont know everything but I think I learn fast judging by the attempts of other ppl on this forum whose second maps look like s**t. So plz dont slag the map off . And dont you think I know tht no new bsp has ben created I wanted to know what change i made to the map could have caused this not sum coky git telling me im crap at map making. It does not show any error in the compile log before saying windows cannot find file specified.

twinsen said:
very well ur not an idiot. Happy now.I have loads of servers lined up who will take my map on and like the sound of it. this is only my second ever map so i dont know everything but I think I learn fast judging by the attempts of other ppl on this forum whose second maps look like s**t.

Maybe they look like shit, but at least they work

You'd do a lot better without an ego that far surpasses your ability.

Boasting about your own map won't earn you any respect, making one that is good and does well earns you that. Sure does'nt make me wanna help you out that's for sure. If you are so special how come I have never heard of you.

You might want to run all source games after an update, sometimes the updates screw the SDK. Also you might give a try at Batch Compiler, wich is much more efficient than Hammer for compiling and will tell you more about the current compiling process. http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=3

thank you Ti133700N this has proved useful unlike sum other ppls comments. My map does work now and did b4. Oh yer wats the point in making a map which looks like shit. OK when I say loads of servers I mean 3 or 4 but that is quite a few for a persons second map. I dont want ur help DjBourgeoisie if you dont have anything to do but post about sum1 else boasting about their map then I suggest you go get a life or piss off preferably both.
Thank You all who have given me useful information.:sniper: DIE Pi Mu Rho DIE!!!!

I suggest you:

a) learn to read
b) lose the attitude

OK I AM SORRY TO ALL. I am just angry because sum1 insisted on slagging me off instead of answering my question. It just reli annoys me when ppl just insult u instead of helping. I bet you know wat i mean. And im sure u find it annoying too. BTW it is true about the servers wanting my map and I believe it is quite good for a second attempt I have fixed the problem. It ended up being a displacement tied to an entity. This mistake was not made by me but by one of my team. who made a bed and forgot the sheets were displacement.:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:
do u want to see my helicopter of course u do.
destroyer50003.jpg

there u go it needs perfecting but I think it looks kl
Oh yer again SRY TO ALL especially admin dudes. LOL

That better be brush-based... cause if its a model...

I think it is brush based and then tied to detail. I made it with the ppl in my team using the block tool. I then custom textured it and decalled it (stuk stickers on it). So do u like or not.:thumbs:

The helicopter looks squarish wich leaves me to think that its been made in Hammer (brush based). If it is then I would suggest you to make it as a model since you can add alot more details, it will look better and models are cheap to render plus it will take less time to compile. Will it be usable or is it only for decoration?

im very new at this second map. How do you make it model based. I wish i knew how to do tht. This is wat it is for. It is used as a ct start point and inside is hollowed out with doors which open to let the ppl out. The blades spin around and the lights flash. Can you make a model out of this?
I didnt actually make the model sum1 else in my team did. Also have you ever seen a seaking helicopter they do look square but I know wat u mean and i has been made in hammer.

You have to build the model in a modeling package like 3dsmax. You can use up to 4000 polies on that helicopter if you wish that's why it would look less square. You could add details and the texture would be much much much better. You can animate it in the modeling package then export the model and load it into Hammer. It would also react to physics in a realistic way (because of the collision model you would create). There are a bunch of tuts on the net on how to export models into Hammer. You can have a look at hl2 world.

There is a small problem with that the fact that i dont have 3dmax would be the main one. I do have truespace modeling package wud it b possible to use that.

And truespace doesn't have em... You have mainly 2 choices : 3dsmax or XSI.

I havnt got the money to spend on that so hammer will have to do. Just because you can afford £2000 for sum software dusnt mean every1 can. And I cant get student edition because im not doing a degree.:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
anyway im giving up on this map because every1 says its crap.

Ti133700N said:
And truespace doesn't have em... You have mainly 2 choices : 3dsmax or XSI.
Milkshape also works, but I wouldn't recommend using it for anything more than props.

-Angry Lawyer

twinsen said:
Just because you can afford £2000 for sum software dusnt mean every1 can.

If only you knew...

Back