My new pc

Ren.182

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Since i've got a job i've decided to build a new pc.
Here's the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500 Retail
Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi
1GB GeIL Value PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus NCQ 120GB ST3120827AS SATA 8MB Cache (2 of them running in RAID)
Leadtek PX7800GTX-TD256 GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
And i'm getting a new case and some extra fans to cool it all.

Anyone recommend any changes to my computer? I have about £250+ left. So i'd like to know if theres anything i should change.

Thanks.

How much is that costing you so far?

If you haven't already got the case then spend just under £100 of that on a Coolermaster case.

It's costing me £900-£950 (+ the price of case and extra cooling). Depends if i can get the 7800 this week or not.
Yeah, i was thinking of getting a coolermaster case, the prices aren't bad on them either.

the coolermaster cases are good. Another thing is onboard audio, sometimes, not always, the onboard sound can have some interference, so you might need to get a sound card. See how it is, and then see if you are going to need one.

Well, the place i work at have just put a few computers into the store room. They have audigy 2's in them. I might ask if i can buy one for cheap from them.

They have some nice Coolermaster cases on OCUK. Might get one of them from there.
Anything else anyone would recommend me geting/changing?

I'm not an nvidia fan actually. i prefer ATi.
Maybe i should get a X850 XT PE... but can you go SLi with those?

you'll supposedly be able to do better than sli when crossfire comes out- faster and better ati version of sli. A pci- e x850xt might be an option if you wanna look at that.

Honestly...SLI is a waste. You have to get the exact same model with the exact same bios anyway. Basicly that means you have to buy the cards together and if you wait to upgrade to SLI chances are there will be a different bios in the cards. And by that time a newer better card will be out that can waste an SLI system. (Notice performance of dual 6800Ultra's vs a single 7800)

Crossfire (ATI's dual gfx tech) will let you buy a ATI card and then a master card down the line (Crossfire card from ATI) and it will work with any X800 out today. The only thing is nForce boards are not supported yet. It's only a driver but they have to get Nvidia's aproval. gl
I wouldn't buy into SLI. Crossfire is better but it isn't setup yet. Getting an SLI board isn't that big of an expence if you want to be ready just in case. So all in all, keep what ya got in the list...just don't get your hopes up.

Just make sure that PowerSupply has a 24Pin ATX connector (Not 20pin) and it has at least 18Amps on both 12V+ rails. (12V+1 and 12V+2)
You have some pretty power heavy stuff in there (except the A64). Seagate drives use a lot of power compared to other brand drives (such as WD and Samsung). That 7800 Nvidia card will also draw some power. ;)

Doesn't SLI only benefit you if the game specifically supports it?

diluted said:
Doesn't SLI only benefit you if the game specifically supports it?

Yeh tahts right, although teh list of sli compatible games is increasing, there will still be some games taht don't support it.

Hmm, i think i'm going to go with an X850 XT PE instead of the 7800. I really do prefer ATi over Nvidia. But i was only going with Nvidia because of the SLi stuff. I forgot all about Crossfire. One question though. If i was to stick with the Mother Board on my list, will the X850 XT PE work properly in it (Seeing as its got Nvidia SLi stuff on it) and when crossfire is eventually released, will i be able to run it on this Mother Board?
Silly questions maybe, but i'd rather be sure ;)

Also, here's the full spec for the Power Supply:

Unique user friendly modular design to reduce excess cables.
Patented design device extension cables.
Supports ATX up to v2.2 & Intel BTX configuration.
Complies with all Intel & AMD CPU specification requirement.
Gold Plated connector, preventing rust & bad connection.
High efficiency APFC (Active Power Factor Correction).
Connects up to 4 SATA HDD + 8 other component devices.
Dedicated PCI-E connector.
EZ-Grip Molex connector.

Power Train:
--580Watt continuous output. (Peak Load 630 watts)
--Newest ATX 2.2 with 2 x 12V connection
Chassis:
-- Full 1.0 mm Japanese Steel
--Complete Mesh Body
--High Gloss Titanium Coating
Cooling System:
--Active Thermal Controlled Circuitry.
--120 mm Long Life Chromed Blade Fan with LED.
--80 Long Life Chromed Blade Fan with LED
--Power-Off Component Protection design.
Power Delivery:
--Aviation Type heavy duty Enamel Modular Connector (Patent Pending)
--exTension Device Connection Cable(Patented Design)
--UL/CE/TUV Grade Cables
--Gold Plated Connector Pins.
--Braided Power Cables.
--EZ On/Off Connectors.
--Serial ATA Connector.
Stability System:
--Active Power Factor Correction.
Electrical Protection:
--Over Voltage Protection Circuitry.
--Over Current Protection Circuitry.
--Short Circuit Protection Circuitry.

Reckon it'll be ok?

Thanks for all the help guys :) Really appreciate it.

And in response to graphics card issue, that card will work fine on that motherboard as long as it is the pci-e version. As for crossfire, i believe ati have said that their crossfire solution will work on nvidia sli boards as well as their own chipset, anybody correct me if i am wrong.

Personally though ren i wouldn't get that graphics card, mainly because on overclockers you can get hold of a 6800 GT for about 160-170, and it is not much slower than the X850XT PE, and one hell of a price at the mo..

Asus said:
Crossfire (ATI's dual gfx tech) will let you buy a ATI card and then a master card down the line (Crossfire card from ATI) and it will work with any X800 out today. The only thing is nForce boards are not supported yet. It's only a driver but they have to get Nvidia's aproval.

3ssence said:
As for crossfire, i believe ati have said that their crossfire solution will work on nvidia sli boards as well as their own chipset, anybody correct me if i am wrong.

Asus had the answer on the Crossfire working on Sli mobo's :D

duffers20 said:
Asus had the answer on the Crossfire working on Sli mobo's :D

Lol, soz mate, i skimmed through the thread but i missed that, apologies for my incorrect information. Chances of nvidia giving ati approval ? lol

:D

Which now renders my comment on the X850XT PE completely noob as well because he would be able to get a master card at a later date and use sli, doh. Go me lol, i'm on fire today

:E

Haha, Dave you n00b ;)

Well i'll be getting this card now:
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X850 XT PE ICEQII 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

I should be ordering the GFX card this week, and the rest of the parts at the end of the month. :)

Ren.182 said:
Well i'll be getting this card now:
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X850 XT PE ICEQII 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Only thought on this, firstly, damn good card, but will the nvidia sli board you are looking at be able to accomodate two of those ? I only say this because these cards have the artic cooling silencers on, and these take up a fair bit of space, and it could be a pretty tight squeeze. So i would just make sure of that before you buy the card.

:D

Thats a pretty good point there 3ssence, better make sure there is plenty of space between the pci-e ports. Don't want to block one of the fans.

Nothing a hammer and a bit of duct tape can't fix ;)

Well, i think they would fit, i'm not sure. If not then i guess i dont get crossfire, or, sell that card and buy two that would fit.

Erm, guys, you can only run nvidia cards in SLI.

Roflmao.

I know, i'm getting an ATi card, which is why i'd want a crossfire mobo. But they dont seem to sell them over here yet. I'm hoping SLi boards will support crossfire eventually.

You people have money to blow on a leet PC and for that I hate you.

lol, you can have my 9800 SE if you like!

I ordered my X850 XT PE today. It'll be here tomorrow and i'm taking up my friends to test it out on his pc. He has PCI-e already damn him :p

OK, sorry for bumping this, rather then make a new topic i thought i'd bump this.

OK, all the parts for my computer are comming on monday. And i'm not too sure how to set up RAID. I know you have to enable it in the BIOS, then install the drivers for it before windows installs.

Now i was wondering, which drivers for RAID are the best ones? And is there a GOOD step-by-step guide to installing RAID on my computer.

Spec's of the PC are in my sig.

Thanks again for the helps guys. :)

Your motherboard will come with a booklet that explains everything you need to know about raid, including how to set it up on your mobo.

And your mobo will come with the proper raid drivers. You'll just need a pc with a floppy drive to get them from the cd onto the floppy, for use when installing windows.

Back