My Server Never Shows Up

D

DarK_AssassiN

I create a server and go to check to see if its in the server list. Nope. I make sure sv_lan is "sv_lan 0". Still not on the list. I go to the LAN tab and there it is. Is there any way to set up my server so others can join?

You shouldn't be able to see your own server I don't think...

cause well, you can't join it again can you?

Well how do I tell if my server is there? Is there a program I can use? No one ever joins so I'm just guessing that it may not be there.

I imagine your server will be there, just only to the people who are connectable.

Which may not be a lot. I'm not really very knowledgable on this sort of stuff though so you'll probably be best waiting for someone who is to come along!

I get that as well, i think its something to do with my router and dynamic ip. I just can't make servers that other people can join. What kind of setup for the internet do you have?

(remember theres always alot of servers and someone randomly joining won't happen often, unless you've asked mates to join and they can't see the server then fair enough)

Has anyone solved this problem yet? seems like heaps of people can't create their own servers

Yep, I posted a thread about this ages ago and got no response. I could host games fine until I installed the Plan of Attack Beta. After that, whenever I tried to host CS:S or any HL2 mod it game up as a LAN Server. Yet if I use Dedicated Server it works just fine.

If you are playing behind a router, then the reason others cant join is because you need to forward the CS:S ports to your router to allow other players to join.

the ports you need to forward are:

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive

to forward ports you should go into your router settings and look there, if you have a manual for you router it will say how to get into the settings :D the usual way to get to them is your lan ip.

hope this helps
-d4rkvaat1

Not playing behind a router. As I said, I can host fine if I use Dedicated Server, but if I try to host a game from inside the game, it shows up as LAN. It only started doing this after I installed Plan of Attack, which I promptly deleted, but alas, the problem remained.

Have you tried doing a complete re-install of your Valve games AND Steam?

Tried re-installing Steam, and that doesn't work. And I don't much fancy re-installing all the games again on my crappy 256 Cable connection. That could solve the problem, and could be a possible thought for the future when I have 3 or 4 days spare to re-download HL2 and CS:S, but at least as it stands Dedicated Server still works.

If you give us the IP address of your server we could try and see if its visible

I know it's not, because I host games for friends and they can't see it unless I use Dedicated Server.

Back