My sisters emachines wont turn on

nofx

Reaction score
Basically the title. Ive tried trouble shooting it by unplugging it ten seconds as te manual says.
Then i OPENEd it, it was really dusty, but I dont have any canned air. Next I checked to see if anything was burnt because lightning is very common in florida and she thinks it got struck by lighting but i dont think it did bcause it would be obviously signs of damage whcih I see none. taks help soon plz my family is getting irritated by me -.-

First of all try it with a different power cable, like the one you're using on your computer right now.

If that doesn't work Unplug it all again, when it is unplugged (including the power cables), press and hold down the power button for 40 seconds. Count it using a clock - it will seem like ages :p

When you've done that try and turn it back on.

If it still doesn't work, go in there again and see if any of the capacitors have blown on the motherboard.

If the motherboard looks fine from damage, then you might be looking at buying a new power supply.

ya thats what im thinking about the psu ****ing emachines ;/

Well before going out to buy one, try all those things I said first.

Let me know how you get on/

none of emseemed to work i just think its tooo too dusty and the dust has killed the psu so ill probavlg get another psu. do you have any idea what are psus that work for emachines?

How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

emachines are gaylord, building one is much much cheaper. Ever since I showed all my friend's the $200+ price difference they have me build them :D

I had an emachine. It worked fine, and still does!
Sounds like it could be the PSU though. :(

If dust has killed the PSU, you can hardly pin that on eMachines.

eMachines in the UK break down very rarely. I work at the company that provides technical support on them. They're good and reliable for their uses.

Dude its my sister and we bought a year ago but ill have to ask my mom it should be a month from the warranty expiring. i built my own comp so non e of that please. I didnt build this emachines and its never been opened so its no way the mb atx 24 could be unhooked unless some supernatural force rectified the case, WHICH I highly doubt. but ill check the warranty thanks :D

Chris_D said:
First of all try it with a different power cable, like the one you're using on your computer right now.

If that doesn't work Unplug it all again, when it is unplugged (including the power cables), press and hold down the power button for 40 seconds. Count it using a clock - it will seem like ages :p

When you've done that try and turn it back on.

If it still doesn't work, go in there again and see if any of the capacitors have blown on the motherboard.

If the motherboard looks fine from damage, then you might be looking at buying a new power supply.
What is the 40 second power button thing doing?

It's not used common enough. It's referred to, where I work, as an ATX reset. It discharges any excess of electricity stored by the capacitors on the motherboard that might be stopping it from powering up correctly.

<Reads thread>
I can't believe no-one made a joke about offering to turn his sister's emachine on.

Back