n00biating question

[NW]FuriosD

Reaction score
I have a question, (n00bie i know). I've been asking on forums and dont get any answer at al... Heres the problem.
I want to add water to my map that's under progress.
I make a box wich i can put the "water brush" in. I add the square brush into the box and applies the "nodraw" texture on the whole brush
Then on the top texture i applies the water texture (in this case pretty_1) I add the entitys "Water_lod_control" and "env_cubemap" <--(alt+enter on it and selects the water texture) Then it looks realy nice, but then when run the map and go where the water is supposed to be, i only see an empty box. If i shoot in the box the "splash" effect shows.
Then i jump into it, and when i look up when 'm under the water, The water shows perfect. But it dont shows when i'm over it...
I've followed a couple of tutorials and done exactly as they say. But always the same result, i've been struggling to get it work for 5 hours and it is impossible.
So is there anyone that can tell me what's wrong. Or should i ask the source itself (VALVE)

Hi

This problem happens sometimes if you don't run VIS... VIS wont run if you have a leak in your map.. If you have a very big map and VIS takes 1 hour or so, try set VIS to fast just to test.. Scroll up and see if you have a ***leaked message from the BSP

SuperHebbe

You can do this with expert compile on too. To check for leaks before I do a full test of my maps (it's annoying to compile the whole map only to find out there's a leak) I always use my GLVIEW compile setup.
Read this:
http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Optimization_%28Geometry%29
You'll have to make that say "hl2world" because this site is weird about them...

well.. finally some answers, i'll check it out soon and see if i understands what u guys mean....
i'll report back to u :)

The log says like this

fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
**** leaked ****
Entity env_beam (-674.00 -60.00 270.00) leaked!

What can i do to fix this???

Okay... i fixed this ***leaked*** problem by deleting some lights...
and then i runned the map several times to see if there was anymore ***leaked*** problems left, but it wasnt..
So then i started the game loaded the map, and it did not work....
So WHAT IN HELL IS THE PROPBLEM... i'm getting pretty frustrated of this now, been trying to add water for 3 days with no success

Back