Navida Doom3 and Half-Life 2 power house?

C'mon!

As if anybody would believe nvidia :LOL:
And their new card is no completely new design, but based on their old cards. And if you believe 32 bit precision was an advantage for nvidia, look at their current speeds and think again :LOL:

Almost forgot to say hi: Hi dudes :D

Ahnteis said:
I've no trouble believing this. Nvidia's implementation of dirx9 and shaders currently sucks. Their hardware isn't optimal for it. This is a next gen card, not an upgrade of an existing card.

Yeah, their numbers are best case scenario numbers but that's normal.
Can't wait to see what ATI has to offer in response. (3 months difference in their schedules isn't it?) Especially since I'll have $$ to spend on new hardware soon. :D (Windows 64 here I come.)

This is how I feel also.

Compared to what their fastest card does right NOW, I'm sure the new cards will work correctly with DX9 and thus be much faster by default. I am not sure about the "seven times" comment though; time will tell.

But, whereas Nvidia is just now catching up with DX9 stuff, ATI will continue moving forward.

We need the competition to heat up...means better cards for less money for all of us :)

Everything on Nvidia's FX last year is based around how their FX sucked. They knew it yet they still had to get it out the door and deal with it. That was what last year and the FX was about. Nvidia dealing with a crap card.
We are starting fresh along with a wider core design and renewed shader performance.
We will have to see benchmarks from both ATI and Nvidia again to judge.

Those claims are very much marketing.
Craby is right. 10 or 20 FPS on the FX in HL2 will put Nvidia around 60-80 fps where it should be with the new card.
New generation, new design, new opinions please but we have to wait for benchies.

I hope we get a neck and neck race this coming generation.

Wanna know I hope? I hope all new graphics cards will have their price set to a maximum of $100!! Ahahaha... ha... ;(

Yeah know what I hope?
They introduce their mid range products with full features just reduced clock speed.
Just like GF4 4600/4400 vs GF4 4200 oh yeah baby.

They said 7 times better than ANY current card, that includes ATIs. Meaning the 30 FPS performance of ATI on HL2 would be 7 times more on the new nVidia cards.

Sparta said:
Whats a PCI Express?
PCI Express is a new forum of Motherboard BUS technology. Allow me to explain.

When you get a video, or sound card, you stick that in a BUS slot, that connects it to the CPU. These slots are a lot like highways for data. Currently there are two types of BUSes. The older PCI BUS is used for most cards, it's very slow and old, it was a standard invented in the early 90s and still works okay for most purposes. The PCI BUS system basically hooks all cards into a single giant highway to the CPU and can get very slow and clogged, like an LA highway during Rush Hour. The other type of BUS is an AGP BUS. These BUSes connect graphics cards directly to the CPU, and are much faster.

PCI Express is an all new type of BUS that's set to replace both types of BUSes. Instead of having five/six PCI slots and a single AGP slot, you'd have six/seven PCI Express slots. These slots, offer each slot its own dedicated and large highway directly to the CPU for transferring data. PCI Express is much faster then AGP. By a comparison, an AGP8X (AGP version 3.0) BUS gets a maximum bandwidth of 2.12 gigabytes per second between the CPU and the graphics card. PCI Express has a maximum of about 16 gigabytes per second in bandwidth from any card to the CPU. These faster BUS speeds allow for more data to pass faster through the computer and allow applications to work with more data at a time.

Hope that helps.

Good explanation.

So a vidcard running on PCI Express would be much faster? Well.. not much faster, I suppose?

This quote tells me that its not a very serious claim.

Quote: According to the inquirer.net, the new core will enable cards to run four times faster in Doom 3 and seven times faster in Half Life 2 then its current fastest product. End quote.

Its probably "up to 3/7 times faster" wich means that only in cases where the previous cards did not support a feature it would break the FPS, but now supports that feature and can run it nicely. Oh yeah, as you know, If you take a snail and make it crawl (or whatever) 3x faster, then its just 3 times faster than a slowmo.

LittleB said:
Good explanation.

So a vidcard running on PCI Express would be much faster? Well.. not much faster, I suppose?
It has the POSSIBILITY to run faster, but it has to BE faster before it can use all the bandwith that PCI express has to offer, cards today hardy utilizes AGP 8x as far as I know.

Zakat said:
They said 7 times better than ANY current card, that includes ATIs. Meaning the 30 FPS performance of ATI on HL2 would be 7 times more on the new nVidia cards.
You can't take a quote out of context.
It was said in comparison with the FX.

Doom3 is said to barely take advantage of AGP8x. believe me, the big companies simply will not release PCI Express cards that totally rape their current AGP solutions, that would be foolish. The big video card vendors release technology slower than they can to ween every ounce of cash out of our pockets. just because the bandwidth is there doesn't mean it will be used.

As to nvidia's new lineup, i think they may try to overdo it this time around and make a very fast card to try to regain faith in gamers, and their own parent company (microsoft) for that matter.

did you guys know the xbox2 specs are said to be using a variation of the up and coming R420 ATI graphics chipset? it is in development in ati's massecheutusas (christ thats a weird state name, sorry im not american :thumbs: ). thats right, microsoft chose ATI as their graphics solution, not nvidia! ATI Prepare for assimilation! can't beat em? buy em! yeaahhh microsoft. that's what they did with 3dfx.

anyways we've heard this "10 times faster" nonsense in the past. fps gains might raise as much as 50% in the extreme if we are lucky.

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
It has the POSSIBILITY to run faster, but it has to BE faster before it can use all the bandwith that PCI express has to offer, cards today hardy utilizes AGP 8x as far as I know.
It's the GAMES that don't take advantage of the fast BUS, this is because most hardware vendors want to maximise audience by minimizing technical oomph. The source engine is one of the few really taxing engines because it can do both. Source might see some use since it does have almost every graphical bell and whistle you can think of.

Im really feeling sorry for the ATI 9800 owners (still a great card though), that NV40 card sounds absolutely awsome, like I heard people where saying its about time graphics cards had a jump in performance and this looks to be it. :) start saving guys, and they'll be almost absolutely nothing that your computer cant render fast.

clarky no offense, but you're stupid if you believe this imho, ost likely the new R420(Radeon) chip will own the NV40, also, unlike nVidia, ATI acctually have SHOWED the R420, the NV40 is only talk so far as I know, nothing has been showed.:)

Imho, I got 9800 like a half-year ago or some shit, not suprisign that it gets 'old' now.

I will just simply buy the 9900 when I build my 4th computer this year.

no im just being hopeful :E , but if it is the case, then well just see :), anyways whatever card is better theres usually hardly anthing in it,.. but im happy too see all of this cause im waiting to buy a card that is worth the money, and i just dont think the Nvidia 5950, and ATI 9800 are worth my cash, id rather wait and save for something a bit more up the scale on the improvement. no use buying all of these cards as they come out in progression, especially when none of these next gen games are even out yet, my 5400 is more than fine at present.

p.s , im neutral, :cheers: .. being an ATI or NVidia fanboy is just counter productive, whoever has the best card I say. :) but like it really makes much of a difference for the consumer, its all good

I wish babelfish had a marketing speak translator for this kind of information. The new Nvidia card will have the potential under very particular circumstances to run 7 times faster. My guess is that the pixel shader will be much faster in the NV40 and that is where the majority of this speedup will occur.

As for all this ATI vs Nvidia talk, the truth is that the products from both companies perform and are priced very similarly. I expect the next generation (NV40 and R420) to continue the same close race. If you truly want to see companies getting their butts kicked in game benchmarks, compare ATI or Nvidia to video chips from Matrox or Intel.

Fallout2man said:
PCI Express is a new forum of Motherboard BUS technology. Allow me to explain.
One nit pick, it isn't a bus.
PCI is a bus, many devices connected to the same line.
This is a serial link like HT. Bus seems to become a common name for any PC connection and lost it's definition.

Some interesting speculation over at
3dcenter.org.

I think the NV40 is a new core. Sure they may have kept CineFX and some other things that work well. Most gfx chips keep some things from previous cores but it's a new design for textures/pipeline and supports Shader version 3.0 as well.

We will have a competitive gfx market between ATI and Nvidia this generation.
ATI fanboys seem to think Nvidia talk is bad so they spread FUD.

Here is some R420 info.

Zakat said:
clarky no offense, but you're stupid if you believe this imho, ost likely the new R420(Radeon) chip will own the NV40, also, unlike nVidia, ATI acctually have SHOWED the R420, the NV40 is only talk so far as I know, nothing has been showed.:)

Imho, I got 9800 like a half-year ago or some shit, not suprisign that it gets 'old' now.

I will just simply buy the 9900 when I build my 4th computer this year.

How can you already say that r420 is gonna own the NV40? Is that your fanboyism talking?
Being a fanboy of a company is retarded anyway, right now I prefer Ati cards, but if the NV40 based cards are faster than r420, I'll happily buy Nvidia again.

Yeh, sorry, I'm not ussually fanboyish. I guess all that pot smoking finally got to me :( Sorry.

Asus said:
One nit pick, it isn't a bus.
PCI is a bus, many devices connected to the same line.
This is a serial link like HT. Bus seems to become a common name for any PC connection and lost it's definition.

Some interesting speculation over at
3dcenter.org.

I think the NV40 is a new core. Sure they may have kept CineFX and some other things that work well. Most gfx chips keep some things from previous cores but it's a new design for textures/pipeline and supports Shader version 3.0 as well.

We will have a competitive gfx market between ATI and Nvidia this generation.
ATI fanboys seem to think Nvidia talk is bad so they spread FUD.

Here is some R420 info.
Point taken, LOL, I call it that since essentially as far as looks go there will be no more "BUSes" in the old terminology. Once PCI Express rolls out, given enough time, we'll see it and/or similar technologies replace the old ways. It's much easier to use the existing names though, makes it more familiar to people.

Back