Need card to work!!

F

FCKaul

Hey, just bought a new Fx 5600 for £25 which def works as i ahve tried it in my mates comp.
I cant get it to be reconised in mine!! i put it in and connect the wire to the moniter, no signal!!, i have integrated GeForce 2 gfx but when i disable it, it turens itself bk on!!
I have been told to reset the CMOS by taking out the little battery for 10 mins but i am not sure if this will work, or what it does, please help

FCKaul said:
Hey, just bought a new Fx 5600 for £25 which def works as i ahve tried it in my mates comp.
I cant get it to be reconised in mine!! i put it in and connect the wire to the moniter, no signal!!, i have integrated GeForce 2 gfx but when i disable it, it turens itself bk on!!
I have been told to reset the CMOS by taking out the little battery for 10 mins but i am not sure if this will work, or what it does, please help

Fix your text so i can help you.

Taking out the little battery resets your bios settings to the factory defaults. Could conveivably do the job, but isn't the actual cause for the problem. Does the card need a seperate power connector from your power supply?

Did you disable the intergrated video from the bios?

If the video card all the way into the agp slot?

does need need extra power?

Chances are the video card uses AGP 8X. Does your computer have AGP 8X? And is AGP 8X required for the video card (don't know the answer to that question)?

If you have a relatively old motherboard (it must be if its a geforce2 igp) you may have to 'flash' your motherboards BIOS with a newer version before the newer graphics card can be recognised by your motherboard.

Almost every motherboard I know with an integrated graphics chipset is set so that if a recognised card is plugged into the AGP slot, the on-board chipset is automatically disabled and the output is sent via the AGP, so I do not think pulling the CMOS battery out will fix this problem. It is more likely that the motherboard does not recognise the new card architecture, and so does not disable its own on-board graphics chipset.

Go to the motherboard manufacturers website for the software and tutorial on how to flash the bios, and good luck.

oh, and an AGP8X AGP port is not required for AGP8X cards, they can run at 4X and to be honest theres no noticable performance difference between 8x and 4x anyway.

Pobz said:
If you have a relatively old motherboard (it must be if its a geforce2 igp) you may have to 'flash' your motherboards BIOS with a newer version before the newer graphics card can be recognised by your motherboard.

Almost every motherboard I know with an integrated graphics chipset is set so that if a recognised card is plugged into the AGP slot, the on-board chipset is automatically disabled and the output is sent via the AGP, so I do not think pulling the CMOS battery out will fix this problem. It is more likely that the motherboard does not recognise the new card architecture, and so does not disable its own on-board graphics chipset.

Go to the motherboard manufacturers website for the software and tutorial on how to flash the bios, and good luck.

Isn't flashing your bios dangerous?

Only if it breaks halfway through and you didnt save a backup =) hence the 'good luck'

Are you using Windows 98/ME? If you are you probably have to change the driver for the integrated graphics before being able to properly disable it. Try this.

Go to your device manager, right-click on your integrated graphics card and select "properties". Select the "driver" tab and click "update drivers". A driver update wizard window should appear, click "next". In the second window, select "display a list of all drivers" and click "next". Select the option "show all hardware". Select "standard display types" from the top of the manufacturers window. Select "standard display adapter (VGA)" and click "next". Restart the computer.

After reboot go back into device manager, right-click the now listed "standard display adapter (VGA)" and select "properties". Uncheck "exists in all hardware profiles". Shut down your computer and install the new video card.

if you're going to flash your nios, it might be worth it to look around for a friend with an un-interuptible power supply :p

its a compaq comp, so i dont know the motherboard number etc, im gonna get a new mboard and a 2500 xp-m anyway

it can be used in a normal nforce 2 400 ultra mobo and is extremly overclockable, anyway, thanks for all ur help ppl much app

Back