Need help with AMD64's

Alig

Reaction score
Ok...im upgrading my cpu and i've had my mind set on an AMD3200+ XP for quite a while and my pc is Ready for me to just plonk it in and away we go....but then i started looking at AMD64's and the 3200+ 64 caught my eye but i need to know some basic things that shops/online shops dont seem to tell anyone.

Does it need registered memory? Thus new expensive memory and i only got 1gb DDR400 like 1 month ago.

Do i need a top of the line motherboard in excess of £100 just so it will run at 800mhz and not 600mhz like ive heard?

If thats the case then forget it....i have'nt got enough cash to keep up with pc hardware companys...i only upgraded my pc like 1 - 2 month ago and its already a p90.

Also...i'll be going from a AMD 2600+XP o/c to 2.2ghz to a 3200XP/64....which will be the best or is it really worth keeping my 2600+ and waiting till i can afford an AMD 64? I could buy either at the end of this month but GFX > CPU as im using a crappy GF4 TI4600 :(

Just my opinion. But the only thing that currently needs upgrading is probably the videocard. As fasts as the 64 3200 is I dont think its going to be worth all the extra cash if your using your system for games. If you did go with the 64-3200 im almost positive you can use the memory you have in your system right now as it uses different memory then the fx line (the fx line only uses registered but the the 3XXX line uses regular) One thing I should point out though is that if the memory you are using right now is dual channel it wont work with the AMD 64 3200. You could just go out and get the 3200xp if you wanted as im sure you can get it for a good price now.

your gpu is gonna bottleneck ur comp more than the processor. i suggest getting the gfx card updated asap. anything from a 9600 - x800 will be more than sufficiant.

kickass2009 said:
One thing I should point out though is that if the memory you are using right now is dual channel it wont work with the AMD 64 3200.

yes it will, im running dual channel memory in my a643200+ right now... just not in dual channel mode.

1) no it doesnt need registered memory
2) the fsb on the athlon64 is dynamically controlled (at least, on my 130 dollar k8t it is, which id highly recommend by the way)

i would save up and get a socket 940 cpu, they will be coming out soon.

if you feel like waiting id suggest just get a radeon 9800, your cpu is great as it is.though i wouldent upgrade the cpu, you will at some point need a 64 bit processor anyway.

Ok thanks.

I thought both the FX and the normal 64's needed registered memory but nevermind...thats that :p What is dual channel memory heh? i got two sticks of 512mb DDR400, ordinary local shop memory...nothing special.

I was going to get a 9800pro (badly wanted the XT) but now the new cards are almost out im saving the extra...www.overclock.co.uk have a sapphire (£300 inc VAT) and a powercolour (£340 inc VAT) X800 PRO's for pre-order, i want a new gfx card so badly that if the nvidia isnt out by my next pay day (2 weeks) and the ati is im getting an ati...i cant hold it off anymore :hmph:

1. nForce 3 150 chipset has only 600mhz Hypertransport
2. VIA and nForce 3 250 chipsets have 800mhz hypertransport
3. Socket 754 is single channel memory
4. Any A64 is leaps and bounds above a Athlon XP CPU (even a A64 2800+ is better than a AXP 3200+) but a Graphics card should be first priority for games.
5. Only Socket 940 needs Registered RAM

Is the Fx-53 the fastest current processor until the socket 939 comes out?

The FX line will always be the fastest AMD CPU (No matter what socket it is on).
The socket 940 Opteron and socket 939 Athlon 64 CPUs will be one step behind for the most part.

so why are you guys telling me to wait for 939 when a fx-53 will be faster?

guinny said:
so why are you guys telling me to wait for 939 when a fx-53 will be faster?
note he said the FX "line". That means it is like the P4 and the P4EE. Mainsteam and Enthusiast levels of processors, which means that the FX-53 will soon or later be replaced with the FX-54-55 etc and so on. FX is currently faster because it allows dual-channel memory, 128-bit memory registers(not like 64-bit=AMD64 or 32-bit=Athlon XP), and unlocked frequency multipliers.

Back