need new model'n program

E

episode

i was using milkshape 3d and doing ok with it, i got alot of free time so im trying to get good. but i wasnt really feeling
the program so anyone tell me whats an easy program to use to model weapons? i wont be modeling players at all only guns.

this is probably asked alot and im sure u guys are sick of anwering it so my apologies.

xsi 4.2 if u want to buy something
xsi mod tool if u want to get something for free with little limitations and can export to hl2

They're all hard as hell to learn...

3ds max
xsi
maya

episode said:
this is probably asked alot and im sure u guys are sick of anwering it so my apologies.
you obviously realised that... so why didnt you think to search before posting ?

...just a thought :|

yea my b forgot all about search heh does it really take years to get good at modelling? i just want to make guns like the steyr aug or m4a1 just curious how long it will take to be able to make a perfect one like the ones from CS? hope i have fun with it so i stick wit it... sometimes the programs are mad frustrating to learn but neway thx for replies

aint really hard to make guns, ive seen plenty of noobs get on the modeling bandwagon that can produce decent looking guns,, however their models arent very optimized and generaly have shitty wireframes. Look at ichi's and desty's modeling videos (search) to get u started. once u create your first GOOD looking gun, give it 1.5 year before u can reach the peak of gun modeling (with the technique and optimization knowledge)

Takes some people longer than others. Modelling is actually often the 'easy' bit. Just pick a program, get accustomed to it, do some tutorials, practice and push yourself.

Blender is the program I use.. have used it for 4 years so I can do nigh on anything in it. I'm a modeller for cold war meltingpoint and yea my first couple of gun models were pretty crap but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I can make a pretty decent gun model in 6-8 hours work and 4 or 5 more to have it optimised and detailed.
Blender is extremely easy to model in but only after you've spent years getting used to it. I'm ashamed of the models I first made from it (I'm sure we all are) but everything you do gets you more experienced in it so :)

go to www.blender3d.org to download it free. Just 6mb!

Most natural-feeling program to model in that you will ever use.

If youre making new weapons... is it for a MOD ? and are you planning of working in the game biz ? because if you are.. you should learn XSI. its a lot better then maya and max, for max only uses plugins from other programs, and its expensive, and you cant use illigale software in the game industry :D ! ! And maya is just a living hell to learn. Soo LEARN XSI ! its the future ! (now i sound like a freaking TV add)

coo ill have to check blender out, i downloaded xsi from this place and its not working so ill try blender

Back