need some help.

leadphalanx

Reaction score
ok i gotta new problem, i sent the map to a freind, but when i try to join his server, it says my map differs from his.

lol u have to compile it everytime u make a change in the map

i have no idea how to compile....i read a tut that says your supposed to hit run map to compile it, but thats what i did..... i may be wrong though, im a comlete newb at hammer. i tried to save it with a different name then running it, but it said
The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

If, when you compile, you find that the map is not updated, then there's a problem with your map causing a critical error in the VBSP portion of the compilation process. Usually, the very last line in the VBSP portion of the log contains the error.

ok, i got it to work, but now i have a new question....how do i get objects to move at smaller intervals? like im trying to place a ramp, but its always too high or too low

If you are saying what I think you are, hit [ or ] to change the grid size. You can also make it not snap to grid, but I hear tell that's a Bad Idea. Down in the right hand corner of hammer, it should tell you what size the grid is.

ya i figured it out, and also got the skybox to work on my map, just about to test it on gmod. edit: gave this map to a freind, and wont let me join his server, it syas his map differs from mine...

Uh isn't this a simple matter...

Just to make sure follow these poorly written instructions.

1. Delete Steam\SteamApps\UserName\Modname\Maps\Mapname.bsp
2. Recompile your map.
3. Test map.
4. Send Steam\SteamApps\UserName\Modname\Maps\Mapname.bsp to friend.
5. Use google before asking stupid questions.
6. If answer canno't be found via google, then go about your forum bashing.

can anyone tell me how do hammer units transform into meters, cm....

1 hammer unit= xxx.x m

1 unit = 1 pixel.

If you have a square monitor and resolution, I'm sure you could come up with a real-world scale.

There is an option in Hammer that lets you set it to feet etc.

I forget where it is though...

GonzoBabbleshit said:
There is an option in Hammer that lets you set it to feet etc.

I forget where it is though...

That option only divides the number of units by 12 and reports the result and its remainder. You're still not looking at feet and inches, just pixels divided by 12.

So how do you know how big something is when you model it in like XSI or 3dsmax?

(I've only tried xsi and I a newb modeller)

Limpet said:
So how do you know how big something is when you model it in like XSI or 3dsmax?

(I've only tried xsi and I a newb modeller)

There is a scale to use. However, with moddeling apps you can merely scale down/up the entire project to the necesary size.

Right, but it'd be nice to know how big something would be ingame. I guess I need to do more experimenting.
Then again there probably isnt something like the measure tool in those modelling programs is there.

Back