Need Urgent Help...

Tarkus

Tank
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if there is someway of me knowing what kind of disc I have without opening the tower? I know it runs at 7200rpm, but i needed to know its brand and wether it is an IDE disc or a SATA disc.

EDIT- if there is no other way to know the disc i have, then i'll put my question another way. I'm buying a new disc, and since i dont have much experience concerning discs, i only know the new one has to be as fast as the current one i have (7200rpm). what other things have to be the same to my older disc?

right click on my computer and choose manage. in the management console choose system information->components->storage->drives. on the right-hand panel look for drive model and put it into google, you should be able to find the manufacturer and specs

DISCLAIMER: this is only my opinion based on my own experience, do not take it to be fact, especially if you are an IBM lawer, but...

DO NOT buy any drive by IBM, Hitachi or Fujitsu. There is/was a class action lawsuit against IBM for their crappy deskstar drives (nicknamed 'deathstar', i had 2, both failed within 3 months) and they sold their entire HD business to Hitachi. I know Fujitsu have had product recalls and I don't trust them after owning one

DO buy drives by Seagate, I hear Maxtor and Western Digital are good also

I disagree on the Maxtor front, but that's just me ;)

i have to say i have an IBM atm and it never failed on me (had it for a couple of years so far). ok, now i know all about my disc, final question is about the cache. mine has 2 MB cache, will it make a diference if my new disc has 8 MB cache (i'm targetting a seagate)

tkz in advance

yeah, i only heard maxtor were good, never owned one, but that was a few years ago i guess.

you have an IBM deskstar and it still works? i'm amazed! i had 2 fail like i said, but 2 of my friends had them fail as well, all within a couple of months. i beg you to do a full backup! if you hear it start making horrible noises (they're quite noisy anyway) it's on the way out. if you google ibm deathstar you might still be able to find a sample of the 'click of death'. or you could just google 'click of death', that might be quicker lol

i'd highly recommend seagate, they have a reputation for speed and reliability and i can vouch that they're quiet as hell

aaanyway, to actually answer your question, 8Mb shoud serve you well, i think it's about standard for current drives, but don't expect to notice a huge difference

so that means that the 8MB cache will not interfere with the 2 MB cache disc.. cause i'm keeping the old one too..

Back