Nerdrage 101: Why Nobody Cares.

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
emot-siren.gif
Wordy, schizophrenic and heavily opinionated article follows, be warned.
emot-siren.gif

Wake up, "PC Gaming community"

The way video games are being monetized is fundamentally changing, and some how this is coming as a shock to people. The fact that we're being charged $60 for an identical product on a console is labeled as robbery. The lack of dedicated servers is pegged as neglect of Infinity Wards "PC roots" and the vocal minority of gaming pressers and forum regulars seem to have been tugging their hair out for the past few weeks.

My question is exactly this: how exactly is any of this a surprise? ActivisionBlizzard is rapidly becoming the only massively successful and publicly traded game developer/publisher for a reason. They've found a market niche that works splendidly (ed: internationally, mind you, not just in North America or Europe)--in the form of subscription services, downloadable content, and various other purchasable digital goods. Without starting to sound like I'm copying my damn thesis outline word for word--the video game industry is growing up like any other pioneering media outlet ever has in our capitalist dominated society. Bobby Kotick and his buddies at VUG and ActiBlizz are business men and women.

It's only a matter of time before folks like Jean-Bernard Lévy, Bobby Kotick and Morhaime become household names--these guys are becoming filthy rich pioneering technologies and marketing strategies that have proven largely recession proof (again, I'm talking the movement of money here, not necessarily industry innovation). If history has anything to say about pioneer markets and companies like ActiBlizz (whose Call of Duty, regardless of the artistic integrity of quality of the product offered, is now the fastest selling piece of distributable media ever released) and those who follow suit will begin to turn major wall-street heads.

What we have is an interesting cultural phenomenon that can be explained (in part) through the transgression of media platforms such as television and radio. For a time niche cultures existed [albeit without the exposure offered by the net generation] who were understandably upset when the prospects of mass appeal entered the picture. Even a decade back video game consoles were not the household items they are now, the "culture" didn't exist--seemed niche, was labeled as being exclusively for nerds. This is changing. fast. Yes, franchises you adored in your childhood are being stripped of some of the same versatile and creative, competitive elements enjoyed in the past--but that's part of the natural progression of such a connected industry, and has been since the rise of capitalistic mass media.

Take for instance the rise of cable television, Fox News, and Rupert Murdoch's bold and daring acquisition of exclusive rights to broadcast National [ed: American] Football League game rights. At the time, major buyouts like these appeared as market suicide. The archaic mentality remained that not all TV owners were interested in selective TV viewing, and that Fox brand power alone wouldn't be strong enough to warrant such a bold and expensive move--but lo and behold, much to our possible dismay, the inevitable happened and Fox and News Corp are some of the most influential, powerful and, yeah, scary monetized and publicly traded media conglomerates around (though the web era has since threatened this strangle hold, maybe.)

Essentially what I'm trying to say is this: we live in a money driven world. Anyone who's jaw dropped and panties were subsequently soiled when they found out Infinity Ward, who is a property of what is now potentially the most powerful media conglomerate in the world, had created a game in which the consumer was allowed less creative control--and pigeon holed them into DRM, should take a good look back at the history of major media outlets. It's not a popular opinion, particularly among this forum, but I think this is largely a good thing: here's why.

The Light at the end of the Tunnel:

Indie developers have never had more tools at their disposal, and PC gaming has plenty to work with between the UDK, the Steam platform and a plethora of readily available and increasingly flexible and easy to learn software suites. This not only means more jobs and more opportunities to deviate tired IPs, but also a chance to build a hefty resume or start a business of your own more easily than ever before.

I have no problem with people trashing something like Modern Warfare 2 or World of Warcraft (or even Guitar Hero) on a surface level. Sure, they're becoming some of the most tired franchises in the industry. If this didn't trigger any red flags given the economic landscape of the societies that birthed these products as far back as the 1990's, you've been decidedly delusional.

tl;dr: The monetizing and regulation of PC and console gaming alike should not come as a surprise to anyone with even a remote understanding of first world economic history. As video gaming becomes more popular, opportunities arise to move past what has become an outdated and oft-stereotyped industry. The same thing happened with Television, Movies and Radio--and it didn't spell out a certain "death" to grass roots creative efforts.

Sure, the quality of those IPs you once treasured may appear diminished. Yes, you won't be able to enjoy your IPs in the same way you did in the late 90s--but acting as if we've all suddenly been back-stabbed is decidedly ignorant, and makes people appear completely oblivious to any of the real business behind an industry that reaps in more than Television and Movies combined.

The loss of dedicated servers and suggestion of a heavier focus on monetizing services like IW.net and battle.net has not only been predictable for years, it's the culmination of years of decision making between the most lucrative publishers and developers the industry has ever seen. XNA, Steamworks, UDK, Apple App Store have all provided outlets for even the most casual of game developers to begin careers in the industry. The "old" method of PC Gaming is not dead, it's just moved on to other, less stale, avenues--and so should the rest of the community with more than a passing interest in the continuation of a subculture which we've all come to cherish.

Can I read the full thesis?

Good read, PC gaming isn't dieing just changing. Consoles are the market giant that IMO is greedy as ****, thus wonderfully capitalist but not too creative.

Good read, PC gaming isn't dieing just changing. Consoles are the market giant that IMO is greedy as ****, thus wonderfully capitalist but not too creative.

Its not changing, its degrading into a console copy

Its not changing, its degrading into a console copy

No, very select IPs which were in dire need of reinvigorating themselves in the first place have become more similar to what we traditionally have seen as the "console model". If you'd read my post you would have seen very specific examples as to why what you just said is provably not true.

This is just free-form brainstorming thus far. The actual finished product is a long, long time from being remotely presentable. I'll be sure to send you parts as I get to it, though--can always use a second set of eyes.

The suggestion here is that the video games industry has a hilariously large divide between it's business aspects and online media / PC Gaming audience. Until recently, they've seemed to all but ignore each others' existence--leading to a laughably loud and ignorant diatribes from supposedly key figures and forum knights alike.

I'm not part of the "PC gaming-only" community, but I still hate the concept of microtransactions etc as much as the next guy, and Activision can suck my giant enemy crab.

The loss of dedicated servers and suggestion of a heavier focus on monetizing services like IW.net and battle.net has not only been predictable for years, it's the culmination of years of decision making between the most lucrative publishers and developers the industry has ever seen.

The loss of dedicated servers...for one game...published by wankers who make Guitar Hero games. Okay then.

I'm not part of the "PC gaming-only" community, but I still hate the concept of microtransactions etc as much as the next guy, and Activision can suck my giant enemy crab.

This isn't constructive in any way, though-that's kind of the direction I was aiming for in creating this thread. Blindly insulting them accomplishes nothing, you're smarter than that. Activision is here to stay regardless, they're the best business players the industry has in spite of your newfound hatred for them or decision to protest their products. For every decision ActiBlizz has made to shatter your dreams, there's outlets elsewhere popping up for the type of gaming you once enjoyed on their behalf.

I pretty much completely agree with the points you make, but I wouldn't quite conclude that people should just lay down their weapons and welcome their new overlords. As futile as it is in 99.9% of cases, it doesn't hurt to get through to person X, who may just seem a cog in the machine, that something is wrong, because one day they may have some sway over how a product is managed, and they may actually realise that you can't make all your business decisions based on what makes upper management happiest. Or your voices may reach developer Y, keen to steal away the disillusioned with similar ideas.

And yes Activision, is the heartless behemoth of choice at the moment, but you only have to look at Electronic Arts to wonder whether sooner or later, everyone takes the fingers out of their ears or arse or wherever.

Still, I suspect the ragers need to develop better tactics than petitions and boycott groups. Just don't ask me to come up with them, because none of the recent issues in PC Gaming have actually made me irritated to the point where I'd actually follow through on my fine principles. Modern Warfare 2? Public Dedicated Servers are too frequently on single map rotations with ridiculous player-loads for shoebox sized maps, and I'm just not a big enough MP person to care. Left 4 Dead 2? If you bought into the boycott of this game, stay the **** away from any person who looks like they might give you a free book on Dianetics.

Public Dedicated Servers are too frequently on single map rotations with ridiculous player-loads for shoebox sized maps, and I'm just not a big enough MP person to care.

Some people like that, some people don't. At least you have a choice though right? Well not any more with MW2. COD is just one franchise one I've never actually liked so it's not a big loss to me. At the end of the day we buy what we like and disregard what we don't like. The market will decide who survives and who doesn't. Actvision may continue to be a massive success but that doesn't mean their method of achieving that success is the only one. If a market exists someone will take advantage of it. PC gaming dying? Not a chance. Changing? Not in any way that significantly effects me.

As for the outrage that exists. When aren't people outraged at something? The internet has made it so easy for the secondary audience of many products to be outraged. I don't own MW2 and I'm outraged at the decisions IW/Activision have made. Someone offends a group on TV, maybe a few complaints until it leaks to the internet where you have people with the specific goal of creating outrage. Creating outrage is a method big media companies have been using for ages to get more viewers and readers. Why not make that outrage work for the gaming Industry? People are angry about MW2 for various reasons yet at the same time it's sold millions of copies.

People tend to overreact it's just something we do. However, when you have people with the express intention of fuelling that overreaction to line their own pockets you can't really blame those that react. Perhaps some people react badly but the vast majority seem to act at least remotely civil. There will always be that vocal minority and they will speak louder than everyone else. PC/Console gamers make themselves look bad all the time (see recent console kids getting angry about features in Bad Company 2 on the PC) but I don't blame them.

Some people like that, some people don't. At least you have a choice though right? Well not any more with MW2. COD is just one franchise one I've never actually liked so it's not a big loss to me. At the end of the day we buy what we like and disregard what we don't like. The market will decide who survives and who doesn't. Actvision may continue to be a massive success but that doesn't mean their method of achieving that success is the only one. If a market exists someone will take advantage of it. PC gaming dying? Not a chance. Changing? Not in any way that significantly effects me.

Bingo. This is almost exactly what I'm trying to say, but I'll argue that gaming (and PC gaming with it) is inevitably changing, probably for the better.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I saw this happen to skateboarding... I barely recognize it anymore.

I saw this happen to skateboarding... I barely recognize it anymore.

Weird, isn't it. Check out the last twenty years of surfing, especially in European countries, if you want to see another example of a sport mutating. But I guess it's a universal phenomenon.

Excellent read, BHC, I'd suggest posting on a blog or other as your thesis gets written, but I don't know how you'd stop people stealing it ;(

Just like everything else post-culture myspace whores look at, it gets ruined in their gaze.

Internet's becoming another wart of pop culture.

etc.

and so on

Excellent read, BHC, I'd suggest posting on a blog or other as your thesis gets written, but I don't know how you'd stop people stealing it ;(

Thank yeh. I'm just collecting data and keeping up with business/industry news so far and doing outlining, so sharing ideas on hl2.net is good enough for now. Problem is very few people at my small liberal arts college research this kind of thing.

Very interesting read BHC. Do post more of your thoughts.

The loss of dedicated servers...for one game...published by wankers who make Guitar Hero games. Okay then.

Basically this.

While I fear for the implications of MW2's success, I'm not convinced that ActiBlizz's new era of monetized PC servicing is upon us just yet. Infinity Ward's baby was going to sell millions regardless of what they did with it and we still need to see how well it holds up over time. I firmly believe that most other games would have only seen failure had they been bound and gagged similarly. And World of Warcraft has always been a beast in its own right.

I'm also not seeing this supposed change for the better you're referring to. I don't know how cutting out SDKs and mod support or removing dedicated servers produces a more quality experience. You bring up indie games, and the time for them has never been better. But surely their success has more to do with their distribution than the curbing of customer freedom, and I probably own a grand total of one indie game in my Steam game list. How would an ActiBlizz model make, say, Counter-Strike 2 any better?

I'd much prefer Valve's model for success to take root on the PC than Kotick's.

I'm not sure how all major game companies are faring economically, but it seems to me that these companies are simply adapting in order to stay alive. It may be annoying, but the majority of consumers are buying into it.

Like BHC said, I find the indie game movement to be very exciting and promising. There have already been tons of great titles, and a few of them have found their way onto big-time publishers (like Scribblenauts with WB Games). I'm hoping that the more relevant indie games become, there will be a greater push for innovation for the overall industry.

I don't have any, y'know, amazing charts or graphs to go on or anything. So I'm in the same boat as anybody when it comes to knowing how well these companies are doing.

But what I'm saying is... They need to adapt to stay afloat and this is a way of ensuring income. Okay, fine. But I've not heard any convincing spin that leads me to believe PC gaming will be changing for the better as a result of it, especially in MW2's case where the developers were quite obviously grasping at straws to explain how awesome it all was going to be. That's what gets me peeved, and that's what leads to gloriously facepalming moments like that "PC Feature: Mouse Support" bombshell.

IMO if this kind of treatment becomes widespread, it's not going to be for the evolution of a better PC platform. It's going to be because most consumers don't give a shit and they'll allow it since they're ignorant.

I'm not sure I agree entirely, but perhaps I just "missed the point" or something.

It seems to me that they've adopted a protectionist attitude. Removing the potential for modifying the game and running servers protects the brand of the game and the company. What you get, is only what Activision are selling, and they don't have to worry about controversial or crappy mods and servers being associated with it.

But protectionist attitudes are, I think ultimately, a poor move. Rather than innovate, they've just tried to [strike]force[/strike] coerce and cheat people into adopting their system. They're by no means uncompetitive at this point in time, but I think that's the destination they'll arrive at if they keep with this trend. I just hope that they and their kind haven't monopolised the market entirely by the time they do, because we'll just end up with a decade of uncreative cash cows before the bottom of the market finally falls out.

Good read, all I can do is provide a bunch of disjointed sentences about the personal experience of a 33 yr old that doesn't game that much anymore...

I used to be a PC only gamer. I'd still prefer to play everything on a PC, but I hate console ports on a PC. I haven't had a gaming PC for many years now because I can't justify it. There is next to nothing in the "high quality, PC only" market that has the slightest interest for me. If there were a lot of good, PC only games that didn't feel like trashy ports then I would revisit buying a new gaming PC. As it stands, just about anything out there that I want to play I can play on a 300 dollar console as opposed to a 1500 dollar plus PC. Video cards become outdated fast, my console's lifetime is much longer, I can buy 1.5 consoles for less money than a quality video card, let alone if they're run in parallel.

This isn't constructive in any way, though-that's kind of the direction I was aiming for in creating this thread. Blindly insulting them accomplishes nothing, you're smarter than that. Activision is here to stay regardless, they're the best business players the industry has in spite of your newfound hatred for them or decision to protest their products. For every decision ActiBlizz has made to shatter your dreams, there's outlets elsewhere popping up for the type of gaming you once enjoyed on their behalf.

Okay, I'll try to be more constructive.

I am fine with some form of microtransactions.

For example, say they were to sell different characters skins for the next CoD, or different parts of the uniform(you could customize your characters look heavily), then I'd be fine with you paying real money to get customized looks etc.

What I would not like, would be if they do like EA originally intended to do with BFBC1, EA originally intended to sell part of the better weapons as independent DLCs, this caused outrage in the community since it basically meant people with the money to buy those weapons with real money, would get a big advantage in multiplayer.

So basically, I'm all for DLCs/microtransactions that add new content to a game and so forth.

However, I do not like the idea of using real-life money to gain an advantage over other people in multiplayer in the game, since that makes it very unfair to the poorer consumers who maybe can't afford to spend a lot of money on getting 'better' equipment in MP.

Luckily, Blizzard at least seem to be intent on not letting this happen, and they're trying hard to stop people selling WoW equipment ingame for real money, however, the question remains to be seen, do they want to control it to stop it completely, or do they want to control it to be able to make some profit from it themselves?

So to sum it up, I'm fine with the company giving new content in exchange for money from the consumers, as long as said content doesn't upset the balance in multiplayer or give an unfair advantage to one person in multiplayer over the others(for example, say paying real money for an exclusive multiplayer perk in CoD)

I hope that was a bit more constructive.

You said this yourself: the video game industry is going through the same changes as TV and radio went through. So I'm assuming the internet is the same kind of industry which will (or is) going through the same kinds of changes, at least on some levels (I know of some examples).

This is kind of like saying that there's no need for net-neutrality because the internet is just "changing" and it'll get better than it is now because companies will control what everyone experiences online.

Also, your indie game argument could be compared to say, YouTube, and how everyone has the ability to create their own content and distribute it worldwide, with the help of some kind of distributor. YouTube started out in 2005 as a website centered on sharing videos with people, with everyone's videos being on the same level. However, this has "changed" and has become more monetized and therefore more controlled. In the end it isn't freedom, it's selective spotlighting.

Watch this (you might know this person as the crazy black guy with a fridge full of women-seducing beverages):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0bGs-hhenI

How is any of this good? Yes, it's more popular. No, it's not more sincere. People are being treated like sheep.

This is just my partially-educated opinion though.

I'm not sure I agree entirely, but perhaps I just "missed the point" or something.

It seems to me that they've adopted a protectionist attitude. Removing the potential for modifying the game and running servers protects the brand of the game and the company. What you get, is only what Activision are selling, and they don't have to worry about controversial or crappy mods and servers being associated with it.

But protectionist attitudes are, I think ultimately, a poor move. Rather than innovate, they've just tried to [strike]force[/strike] coerce and cheat people into adopting their system. They're by no means uncompetitive at this point in time, but I think that's the destination they'll arrive at if they keep with this trend. I just hope that they and their kind haven't monopolised the market entirely by the time they do, because we'll just end up with a decade of uncreative cash cows before the bottom of the market finally falls out.

Right, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. My sentences may not convey this in the most clear way possible, but I'm essentially asking people who identify as gamers to speak in a bigger way through their wallets and get involved more with the business aspects in order to understand that we, as consumers, have a bigger role in the future of the industry.

Okay, I'll try to be more constructive.

I am fine with some form of microtransactions.

For example, say they were to sell different characters skins for the next CoD, or different parts of the uniform(you could customize your characters look heavily), then I'd be fine with you paying real money to get customized looks etc.

What I would not like, would be if they do like EA originally intended to do with BFBC1, EA originally intended to sell part of the better weapons as independent DLCs, this caused outrage in the community since it basically meant people with the money to buy those weapons with real money, would get a big advantage in multiplayer.

So basically, I'm all for DLCs/microtransactions that add new content to a game and so forth.

However, I do not like the idea of using real-life money to gain an advantage over other people in multiplayer in the game, since that makes it very unfair to the poorer consumers who maybe can't afford to spend a lot of money on getting 'better' equipment in MP.

Luckily, Blizzard at least seem to be intent on not letting this happen, and they're trying hard to stop people selling WoW equipment ingame for real money, however, the question remains to be seen, do they want to control it to stop it completely, or do they want to control it to be able to make some profit from it themselves?

So to sum it up, I'm fine with the company giving new content in exchange for money from the consumers, as long as said content doesn't upset the balance in multiplayer or give an unfair advantage to one person in multiplayer over the others(for example, say paying real money for an exclusive multiplayer perk in CoD)

I hope that was a bit more constructive.

Not only more constructive but helpful to my research. You're completely right and I agree on most of your points--aside from the notion that the monetization methods being employed by the big players are inherently bad, because I believe the rise of other similar pioneer industries in capitalist minded societies proves that to be false. Creative minded folks will always find a way to defy the dominant Michael Bay guys. Half-Life 2 and Valve's MP games can co-exist with the likes of Kotick and his army of generic, heavily monetized rubbish, as can the increasingly diverse indie circuit (for cheaper, too).

There's numbers out there, but they are incredibly limited, so much so that I may have to switch topics altogether.

One place to look is compounded NDP/Steam sales of independent titles over the last two years when compared with the last decade (they're selling faster and the devs themselves are seeing the largest historical payouts) and the rise of a certain PopCap games. It's truly remarkable what's happening.

And, yeah, you're spot on in saying they may not even be successful--and may not be the next Rupert Murdochs--but I think we as gamers should be more responsible for understanding the business aspects of an industry we're passionate about.

I think, that so long as the internet remains neutral ground, there will continue to be a place for all niches and all kinds of creativity will abound. It may not be very profitable, but that doesn't stop everyone. My main concern is that these big companies will see those niches as competition, and therefore, lost revenue, and try to lobby of legislation that will remove that neutral status.

Also I went out and voted with my wallet. Or rather I didn't. I loved Modern Warfare, but I was turned off buying Modern Warefare 2 and so I didn't. That is essentially how I voice my opinion on these matters; with my meagre wage.

Using Fox News as a model for a lucrative corporation is just wrong. Fox News didn't turn a profit the first six years it was on air. To this day it loses viewership contests to MSNBC and CNN on many of its timeslots.

Fox Media, maybe. An even better example would be Sony BMG, and how it took over commercial music... but, one argues, music still lives on.

If gaming gets bad/overcommercialised/whathaveyou and there are enough people who complain about it (i.e. the people in this thread), a company will spend its time and resources to sell to you, as you will have become an untapped market.

A good read, though I contend two points in your post:

BHC said:
Bobby Kotick and his buddies at VUG and ActiBlizz are business men and women
The first being your statement that Bobby Kotick is a man, and not, as is correct, a hideous denizen from the fourth circle of hell who clawed his way up from the deep to hoard more riches;

BHC said:
Even a decade back video game consoles were not the household items they are now, the "culture" didn't exist--seemed niche, was labeled as being exclusively for nerds.
and that video game consoles weren't the household items they were today, and that gaming culture was "exclusively for nerds". Rather, consoles WERE household items, but the "culture," gaming as a whole, was viewed as being for children. This is why every 80-year-old grandma knows the name Nintendo, and why the barb is more often, "S/he still plays video games?" rather than "Video games? What a nerd."

You guys are all ****ing too young. Video games were the ****ing SHIT in the 80's. And it was cool. And if you didn't have an Atari 2600 home video game system with the best arcade games, like Defender and Centipede, you were a punk ass worthless piece of shit nobody.

I will never buy into these ****ing $60 games and micro-transactions and all the other things I hate. And as long as I don't buy that cookie-cutter Michael Bay crap, there will be companies that don't do this that will always get my money.

You guys are all ****ing too young. Video games were the ****ing SHIT in the 80's. And it was cool. And if you didn't have an Atari 2600 home video game system
Oh no you didn't. The REAL cool kids had the C64 and later Amiga. **** yeah.

The cool kids had ColecoVision. Thanks for the games, Atari, I can play them all. Also have you met my friends Sega and Konami? Yeah, you know you love my perfect arcade ports.

It's a text file containing problems exclusive to the first world.

Examples include: the loss of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2, the abnormally long distance between your house and the nearest Kentucky Fried Chicken and your inability to tolerate cable television because you've been spoiled by the likes of hulu, torrents and other various video streaming websites that are free of obnoxious commercial breaks and the abomination that is daytime programming.

The list is enormous and problems have begun to amass at an exponential rate. Make peace with your respective gods.

the abnormally long distance between your house and the nearest Kentucky Fried Chicken
The KFC is literally in front of my house. EXPLAIN THAT

Back