Never Been Kissed

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So I need some help (I'll explain the title later).

My HP laptop has been ****ing me around for a good while. I bought it in January last year and it did everything I wanted it to do, but by that September it had mysteriously degraded, and was no longer able to play Left 4 Dead. I tried various methods of cleaning it up - installing new drivers, cleaning the startup programs, clearing hard drive space, etc, etc (while I'm here I never fully thanked Laivasse for his help in that thread - thank you!). Eventually, stressed and with more important degree-related things to do, I felt forced to accept that my computer had stopped working as it should for no reason at all. It also had a persistent fault that occasionally muffled music or continuous sound for minutes at a time (why I didn't claim on the ****ing warranty at this point I don't know. Probably because it would have taken weeks during which I wouldn't have any computer at all. Still dumb).

By early this year the sound fault seemed certain to be a hardware problem with the on-board sound chip. I say this because a problem that caused regular WoW crashes - sudden lockups, terrifying sound repetitions, then a black screen - turned out to be experienced only by other people who had sound chip faults. Indeed, playing WoW without the sound solved the issue.

Now, however, that fault has migrated to all other situations involving continuous sound. I can't use skype, play music or any videogame without an eventual crash. And a new problem has ensured that I cannot even simply turn off the sound. The laptop now crashes - seemingly from overheating - after an hour or so of strenuous activity, or even less, and that's after I put it up on stilts near the open window and hoovered at its air vents. This has never happened before, and there seems little to be done about it. In retrospect, it's looking like Laivasse might have been right about the graphics card overheating - this might all be linked to all the other hilarious quirks this PC has thrown up.

In my entire life I have probably spent, in total, about a year in possession of a working computer which I can rely on to run new games. Absorb that: I've been a gamer for more than a decade and yet I have almost never been in a position where I can just PLAY WHAT I WANT TO. It feels like never having been kissed. Which is ironic, because people who use computers are supposed to have great luck with their machines and none with girls, not the other way round. So what can I do?

In a few weeks, and with no further effort, I will graduate from university with a pretty good degree. My parents will probably be willing to help me with any purchase I mean to make. So I'd like to ask you all...well, of course, at first, I'd like to ask you all if there is a better way to get what I want without spending £400-500 or more on a new machine. I'd hoped that a reformat might fix the random and mysterious slowdown, but now there's heat problems and the sound chip's just escalated that doesn't look like a possibility. So presuming this particular laptop is a lost cause, I'd like to ask you all about my options.

A friend helpfully suggested building a desktop, but there are two problems. Firstly that for the next two years I will potentially be travelling between the USA and the UK - and through several locations within each - at alarming frequency. Secondly that I want a working computer as soon as possible, and it might take weeks to order all the parts, put it together, get it running, etc, etc. Make no mistake, some day I'm going to build a cheap and brilliant home desktop, but maybe it should be when I feel at leisure to do it, and when I live in one single place. On the other hand, a laptop won't be upgradeable, and, for all I know, might go wrong in the same completely, infuriatingly ineffable way that this one did.

So: what are my options? What's best? And, if I'm going to order a laptop within the next few days and receive it in the mail a few days later, what model would be a good investment? Whatever I do, I'm looking for decent enough gaming capability - I want to play Source games, TF2, Modern Warfare 2 would be an unexpected pelasure - and my budget is preferably around £500, but potentially rather higher.

Thanks in advance <3

PS: I realise there's a gaming laptop thread already, and I've been having a look through it. Just I thought this complex of questions would merit its own thread.

TBH it probably would involve taking the laptop apart. Looking over all the circuit boards to see if you have any busted or bulging capacitors (sign that you just need a new laptop). Clean out the inside of the laptop without static electricity sapping the parts. Maybe taking heatsinks off, cleaning the bottom of and reapplying thermal compound or pads.

Not hard to do but potential to making things worse if you make a mistake and it is a time consuming thing to do.

It sounds like you have done the software solutions and other practical things (clearing HDD space) trying to put an end to the crashing.
Also, that notebook has a Nvidia 9200m right? linky

I would suggest models, but I have no idea what pricing schemes the UK is up to. I would almost recommend waiting until you're in the US to buy a laptop, as the pricing just isn't as balls-in-vice there as it usually is in commonwealth countries.

Brands that are pretty much universally accepted as good: Acer, Lenovo.

I think the first thing you want to figure out is how big of a screen/keyboard you want. Form will halve your number of options. Weight for me is especially crucial, as I'm usually carrying mine around.

I like a numpad, and a big screen, but I'm not too bothered about either. Often when I have the laptop in a given location it'll be possible to attach a keyboard or even a monitor to it. If these things can significantly reduce the price then I can make sacrifices. Same with weight - it's not a big concern for me.

Feel free to recommend US options, because it may be worth paying the shipping, and even if it's not, I can have someone receive it and send it to me or otherwise just pick it up when I get there (probably the former as I want to be able to play games again ASAP tbh).

EDIT: It's mad. I cannot find systems that are anywhere near equivalent to the one I've already got at anything like what I paid one year ago. Either they are fast but have integrated graphics, or have dedicated graphics but processor speeds of around 1ghz. Grumble.

I'm using this list of benchmarks to compare the mobile graphics cards, hopefully it's fairly accurate. Though one thing to remember is that the very top-end mobile cards can be more likely to have heat problems.
If you mainly want to play Source games though a lot should manage that, my old laptop (5 years old) with a nvidia 6800go handled HL2 fine, and only started struggling with TF2 once the larger maps such as Goldrush came out - though I don't know if that was due to low graphics memory or system RAM (the latter I suspect).

Perhaps something along these lines?
This
Or this, bigger and pricier.
Or this, somewhat similar to the above

There don't seem to be many options with decent-looking graphics cards for under 500 maybe you can find a v nice one if you search hard enough, but for up to 600 or 650 there's a decent selection.

Your link don't work Maestro. Brings you to Asus front page.

If your budget is rather higher, I'd suggest a Dell Studio 15 or 17. Dell have always got offers on that save you relatively huge amounts of money. I'm talking £200+. I put together an insane Core i5 rig just the other day that cost as much as my current Studio 1555 did only 2 years ago (about £750-800). A studio 15 with an i5 CPU and the card it has (I think they default at a dedicated 5470 with 1gb GRAM) will run pretty much any game you want to play very well.
So take a look at Dell's website, and look at the special deals they're doing.

As for fixing your current, like Asus said you could take it apart, but really there's very little point unless you're a dab hand with a soldering gun.

Brands that are pretty much universally accepted as good: Acer, Lenovo.
And by Acer I totally meant Asus.

But, as Eejit mentioned, this one by them ain't so bad.

Dekstar has a point--despite a shoddy reputation, Dell does let you customise almost all their models fairly extensively. Their parts aren't the greatest quality, but you can find some decent deals.

I'll try and find some more later.

I recently cleaned my laptop out and removed a solid bar of dust that had been trapped in the fan, about a centimetre thick. Try that. Also, I'd recommend completely reformatting and re-installing your OS.

Well, the thing is, one of those isn't going to fix the overheating and the other one isn't going to fix the sound card. Looks like a new machine. Alternatively, if when I first get it: good idea, if there really is too much pre-loaded nonsense.

So: at the bottom end of my price range a friend recently bought one of these for about £450 (or a little more). I've watched him play GTAIV on it, which is a big system hog as far as I know, and the offer of what seems like quite enough power for a low enough price is a tempting one.

Nevertheless, it might be worth getting something better and the deals posted here are pretty good. When it comes to graphics cards, am I right in thinking that 3dmark scores are the most important measure of their power?

I should note that hard drive space isn't very important. If I buy a new PC, I'll have the hard drives from two old laptops, and I've already got a little caddy to slot them into (they go in like nintendo cartridges).

At your price the HD 4570 is going to be as good as it gets, as far as I can tell. Most seem to have it.

Hmm, really? The 5650 seems to have significantly better 3Dmark scores (not that I know if that means much!). Eejit's "bigger and pricier" option (the Acer Aspire 8735) also seems a good deal, and totes the Nvidia GT 240M.

You guys are helpful. I'll have to consult my blowjob pricing chart.

Well, yes! Preferably. But I'm just about willing to spend more maybe possibly I dunno. I'm open to considering a bunch of options, not least because I know that, if nothing else, I can run GTAIV - and probably whatever else I want - for under £500.

Also one thing to keep in mind, if you do plan on getting it from your friend in the States, warranties become much more fickle. I know Lenovo has an international warranty option, but it's expensive. Can't speak for other companies.

So, if you can, stick with domestic.

Alienware does have a great new gaming notebook for around $1100 USD.

SO DODDS WHAT HAPPENED ARE YOU HAPPILY GAMING NOW?

I HOPE SO.

Well! The budget turned out to be lower than I thought, but luckily I found a refurbished version of this (only with a smaller hard drive - no biggie) for £350 and will be ordering it soon. Not sure if I should pay an extra £40 for Windows 7, though - on the one hand I could perhaps get it some other way some other time, but on the other, I can't get Microsoft's student offer to work, and it might be an advantage to have 64 bit running on a dual core system (???). But yeah I'm pretty happy with the deal. Any comments, it may not be too late.

That one looks fine. Refurbished is a great way to save money.

64 bit is nice (but not essential). If you get the OS built in, there's a known trick that might yield you two licenses out of the same machine, but it depends on how Acer does things.

The student offer expired in March in North America. No idea about its status in UK.

Oh, really? Oh, well. I looked at the website, but as with many things Microsoft, it wasn't the most user-friendly of systems. And I'll see what I can do with Windows 7. I just hope I can make its interface look like Windows 98, as is my custom.

I am so freakin' excited. I'm going to get the computer and sit down and play sooo much

robot unicorn attack

I missed this post before. You will need to open up the case of the laptop to get to the vents. They have dust built up on them, that's why you are having overheating issues. Get some canned air and once you have the case open blow the vents and heatsinks out. I can't give you advice on your perticular model but I'm sure if you look around you will find disassembly manuals for your laptop. Dell always has service manuals online, I'm pretty sure HP does too.

Then you might have to reformat to fix your sound issues if your sound card is still having problems. I don't think sound issues are usually related to heat, I could be wrong on that.

If you do go with a new laptop that has windows 7 the interface will be nothing like windows 98. But trust me, that's a good thing. Come in to the 21st century, after getting used to the Windows 7 UI I could never go back. But if you want to play COD:MW2 on a laptop I dont know that it's possible, for that you would have to find a way to drag a desktop back and forth when you travel.

When I say Windows 98, I only mean the way the task bar and the windows look. :p I dislike this swooshy-shiny aesthetic that seems to be the default. It is disingenuous - this is a computer of the kind I've been using for a decade, not some shiny new sci-fi machine.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, because I'm still planning to do what I can to fix the old machine, to have it as a spare.

You can still use the grey classic theme but it looks a bit different than your default windows xp classic theme as everything is a bit bigger. Takes a bit of getting used to but I actually like it better now.

I'm sure you must have tried this, but can't see it anywhere - have you tried a windows reinstall?

Also, what are you planning for the old laptop? If your selling it, I might know someone who would be interested.

Dunno. I've just opened it up - which was very difficult - and nothing seemed amiss. I couldn't really get to the vents because they were down under the motherboard, and the friend who was helping me said taking off the motherboard would require disconnecting it from the heatsink and that would need thermal paste and things and oh no. It's something I wasn't in a hurry to do; from what I could see, there didn't seem to be any massive dust buildup (nor is any such thing visible through the fan from the outside, although maybe it wouldn't be. If there is a huge bar of packed-up dust in there, it's in a place I can't open up without potentially going past the point where the computer will run again if I, with my inexpert sausage fingers, have to put it back together.

Presuming it works, it probably won't be in saleable condition, let alone run at the capacity it's supposed to, and I'd probably try and keep it as a backup, or...well, we'll see. But I won't know until I know whether I can get it working again.

On which subject I never did try a windows reinstall because A) I would have had to buy a new hard drive anyway, something on which to back up everything I'd want to keep; B) it wouldn't have fixed the overheating issue; C) it wouldn't as far as I can tell have fixed the sound issue (which the WoW community isolated to a hardware fault). Maybe I'm wrong or maybe they are.

In any case I'm pretty happy to have a new sexy exciting laptop which works quite well. I've been playing TF2 and Altitude on it. It's a good time. I just want to say in what may well be the last post of this thread thank you to everyone who helped out! And if anyone wants to play something some time...

Back