Never mind the M16 clones, here's the M96 Recon ;)

Grey

Reaction score
Another WIP at about 95%. The M96 in case you don't know is a relatively new gun inspired by the Stoner 63A. Here's a link for more info:
http://www.robarm.com

1840 triangles... under budget so far, so I'll probably add some more details.

Overview:
M96_01.jpg

Detail render:
M96_02.jpg

Iron sights ;):
M96_03.jpg

C&C desired :).

Iron sights are great.
There are alot of little detail htigns that cna be added....

Otherwsie, looks good! :)

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
Iron sights are great.
There are alot of little detail htigns that cna be added....

Otherwsie, looks good! :)

Yeah add some more detail man, then it its super 1337!

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent. That model is Uber pro as is. Theres enough detail in the mesh to satisfy the eyes and what little bit is left can be done with a skin. 1800 triangles so whats that work out to in poly's? Superb Grey

Exactly what Hiro said, details can be added via the skin. Just because you can have high-poly weapons doesn't mean you should push the limits, when you can have just as much detail on the skin and in HL2 the bump mapping as well.

Originally posted by HiroProtaganist 1800 triangles
so whats that work out to in poly's? Superb Grey [/B]

Thanks! Before I trianglulate it, it's 818 faces. HL2 works with triangles though and I'm pretty sure thats what the polycounts in the SDK FAQ are refering to.

I dunno if Max triangulates before it adds everything up in the polycounter tool. If it doesn't, some people are in for a rude awakening once it gets triangulated when it's imported into HL2 lol.

I dunno if Max triangulates before it adds everything up in the polycounter tool. If it doesn't, some people are in for a rude awakening once it gets triangulated when it's imported into HL2 lol.

As a general rule games use triangles. In the world of 3d art 4 sided polygons are very commonly used. But for games you should be dealing with 3 sided polys AKA triangles.

And yes, I believe some people are going to be in for a rude HL2 modeling awakening regarding 2 things, triangles and LOD models. Youre going to have to create the LOD geometry yourself, the engine isnt going to re-work your high res geometry, its just going to pick the best LOD model available in order to maintain framerates.

Cool idea building an M96. As far as I am aware of its not used by the US military.
I've seen a few a some gunshows and they seem nice. I had not however seen the Rav02, that sucker ROCKS!!

Originally posted by Punisher454
Cool idea building an M96. As far as I am aware of its not used by the US military.
I've seen a few a some gunshows and they seem nice. I had not however seen the Rav02, that sucker ROCKS!!

Yeah I was thinking of buying one, which is why I did a model of it for kicks. The civ version of the RAV09 is the M96 Recon. The main differences being the RAV has gobs of mounting rails, choice of calibers, and of course full auto.

I read about how the spec ops in Afgantistan wanted a 7.62x39 gun because the was ammo readily available. Perhaps the RAV was made for those reasons. I can't imaging the situation is/was any different in Iraq either.

In regards to greys post just so everyone knows by default in edit poly mode 3ds Max will not give you a polycount in triangles only in quads or infact whatever size polygons you have. If you want to see your polygon count in triangles turn it into an edit mesh or apply a turn to poly modifier and set the max poly size to 3. Ohh and nice model :)

Youre going to have to create the LOD geometry yourself, the engine isnt going to re-work your high res geometry, its just going to pick the best LOD model available in order to maintain framerates.

Where did you get your info from on this point? Just curious.

The model looks good from what I can see, but the floor material distracts me from the model. Just as a rule of thumb, when showing people a render of an un-textured model, make the ground untextured too.

The engine probably will rework your model for LOD, but you can most likely make your own LOD model. I'm pretty sure that Source will just use an algorithm kind of like 3dsmax's Multi-Res modifier.

Where did you get your info from on this point? Just curious.

My interpitation of the e-mails and interviews with valve. There was one in particular that said it, but I cant remember which one right at the moment.
Seems like it was said that the Game engine dynamicly switches to a lower polycount model.
The LOD systems that I've seen before ALWAYS require the modeler to build multiple instances of the model and specify the viewing distance of each LOD version. In HL2 the modeler may be relieved of the minor burden of optimizing lod change distances
They didnt say about the triangles, it was the LOD that I'm talking about. Its just safe to assume that the polycounts Valve have mentioned are all in triangles.

They didnt say about the triangles, it was the LOD that I'm talking about. Its just safe to assume that the polycounts Valve have mentioned are all in triangles.

The triangles part is a fact from the sdk faq ;). So we don't have to wonder about that any way.

I tend to think Punisher is right about the LOD thing. As a rule in game engines, you preprocess every thing you can. Now if Valve said they had dynamic realtime LOD in the engine, it'd be another matter. I've never heard them say that though.

On a different note, here's a model I knocked together this morning. It's the MP7/PDW. Although it's not super accurate, it's mostly based on the production version, not so much the prototypes you see in photos every where. Looks OK IMO... :rolleyes:

MP7_001.jpg

I too have only seen LOD models preprocessed before, but you never know with this new super Source engine?

It does make more sense to preprocess as much as you can though.

Back