New ATI card this monday (tomorrow)

Spiffae

Reaction score
I'm getting kind of excited now.. the R420 will be unveiled tomorrow. what do you guys think? will it beat the Geforce? will it suck?

It will probably be faster but have slightly less features (not that anyone would notice at 70fps)

^^^ IS A GUESS

It's a rumor that it will be out on monday, but they don't have an event schedueld then. If you look at the ATI events they have one from 3-5 may in seattle(hint hint).

I think it will be worse...i would'nt say suck though. I'll still buy the nvidia though because ATI have to many problems for my likings.

Doesnt the new Nvidia require its own power station? Anyone know how much power the new ATI will need?

The nvidia card needs to molex connectors, no word yet on the ATI

im betting the x800Pro will debut may 4th ....not the XT.
which is why im waiting till june to pick my card. ;)

cant wait to see the next wave of ATI cards surface, and then find their way into my PC CASE... mwhahahahahah
:D
unless of course Nvidia spank them badly... but I doubt thats gonna happen.
then again MY 9800pro isnt showing its age yet, and no games are out that I cant play in the highest settings and have smooth fps....
so I guess wait until some new decent games come out.

I thought May 4th will be the day when all the X800Pro benchmarks appear.
I wouldn't mind if it would actually happen tomorrow, of course. It should be an interesting battle between GPU titans. :cool:

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's gonna be a pretty close call in the Pixel Shaders department. I suspect the GeForce6800 will have some advantage in the OpenGL area. Perhaps the X800Pro made some advances in Image Quality. But that's all just a wild guess.

Mr. Redundant said:
then again MY 9800pro isnt showing its age yet, and no games are out that I cant play in the highest settings and have smooth fps....

i guess you havent played far cry yet ;x

Dunno, I can come close in Farcry, and I don't even have a 9800 Pro yet, I'm running a 9700. It just doesn't play as smooth as I'd like.
Anywho, I'm guessing the card will be better in some infintesimal way, and worse in another, therefore sowing the seeds for thousands of nerd flames in the months to come.

:p ^ Actually I have a 9800 Pro. I put my settings on 1280 x 1024 and i've set all settings on very high, except for texture filter quality or something, the game forces it to stay at medium setting. I have Vsync, my max refresh rate is 60. I get around 40-60 FPS with those settings, haven't played without Vsync yet. But, yeah that is pretty smooth for those high settings.

I heard the ATi presentation of the Radeon X800 Pro will be presented in early May(4th or 5th) and that the Radeon X880XT(AGP & PCI Express 16x) are scheduled for a June introduction, though keep in mind what I heard is unofficial.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040422180038.html

x84D80Yx said:
i guess you havent played far cry yet ;x
bought it the week it came out, beat it twice in realistic/statistic mode.
Im a gfx whore, I loved every second of it.

and it runs great on my P4 3.ghz 2gb ddr 3200 ram, 9800 pro
... ok so there is some slowdown now and then, and it irritates me ... but its usually pretty consistent 40-60fps..
and I mean everything on the highest settings (and most on custom to get even more)

I said it once, I will say it a million times... I am a graphics whore.

i play on max settings with a little slow down, i have a radeon 9800pro greatly overclocked, and a athlon 64 3200+

Any of you guys see the extrapolated results from rage3d?
They were interesting.

I've heard too many dates and rumors.
Nothing for sure.

They may lift the NDA on the 26th or May 4th/6th. No one knows.
The release event is probably in May.

The power needed was slightly less then the 450 needed for Nvidia, I think it was ~420 or so. I don't have time ti find it now, but it was on inquirer.net not that long ago.

/offtopic
Ailevation change your damned avatar!

/ontopic
I got a 9800 XT like 4ish months ago... if only i knew this stuff was coming out.

Once a year. ;)
When do you think the 9800/FX5900 came out?

:hmph: Damn you Sabre! I've had this Avatar since AIM. You change yours bastard!

Some news on ATI, they are handing out job applications to work on the RS600!!

sabre89 said:
I got a 9800 XT like 4ish months ago... if only i knew this stuff was coming out.

Thats your own fualt..... the info that new cards were coming out was widley available.

crabcakes66 said:
Thats your own fualt..... the info that new cards were coming out was widley available.
Heheh
I think he just 'ran' into that info.

i keep hereing more and more info and i sucking it in... i might just get a Radeon 9800 pro... i mean its only 200$ and all you whooberry freaks keep saying its the best thing ever made so why not... should be good till next next gen cards come out

Back