New Black Mesa Interview

Agreed the MP5 looks great. I'm lovin' those bullsquids too. Miss the blood stained tentacles though.

WTF is up with the bullsquids tentacles? They're white...and have suction cups... :\

AND THE SCIENTISTS HAVE DIFFERENT REDICULOUS TIES!

Yeah, the tentacles on the Bullsquid look a little...odd. Mainly in terms of shape. Not fluid etc.

Samon, do you mean in terms of the texture or the model (or both perhaps). We've tried to make them seem a little more realisic (well.. obviously we wouldn't do the opposite lol), we haven't noticed them looking stale in geometry, perhaps as we see them animated, perhaps not though..

Question: Will the scientists say..."Why do we always have to wear these rediculous ties?" in BM:S?

For some reason I got a strange feeling that both Forgotteh Hope-2 will release just about the sam time as Black Mesa: Source. Why? Well, they're both High-quality mods that focus more on Quality than quanity & both a 50% done.

Samon, do you mean in terms of the texture or the model (or both perhaps). We've tried to make them seem a little more realisic (well.. obviously we wouldn't do the opposite lol), we haven't noticed them looking stale in geometry, perhaps as we see them animated, perhaps not though..
Animating them would probably help. IIRC the HD pack had a cool little tentacle-wiggle thing.

Edit:
Also, why the **** are they white?

Edit:
The way they are, all bent at the same angle they look almost like teeth rather than tentacles.

I think it's just the shape. Don't get me wrong, they look good, I just think that they look perhaps a little too square. I'd prefer if they were a little rounder to be honest. I'd imagine the movement might look more fluid if they were?

If I can give any advice:

Hire Samon as quality assurance. You don't get much more quality than Samon. Assured. Maybe.

-Angry Lawyer

WTF is up with the bullsquids tentacles? They're white...and have suction cups... :\
I agree with you 100% totally. However I tried bringing up the issue over on the Black Mesa forums, only for the Devs to just blow those criticisms off..... as I've should have perdicted by now. Honestly, those suction-cups don't look good at all, they resemble bolts more. There's no reason why they should remain. Plus the red tentacles are a classic feature of the original HL1 Bullsquids. The Bullsquids are better off with red, cup-less tentacles beyond any question. :sleep:

This stuff you guys are making is truely amazin'. Everything looks unbelievable.

The Black Mesa, New Mexico desert looks so real. the cannions look really nice. I can only imagine what Xen will look like :p.

If I can give any advice:

Hire Samon as quality assurance. You don't get much more quality than Samon. Assured. Maybe.

-Angry Lawyer

Well, he won't stop whining til he gets what he wants. Fortunately in this case most of what he wants is good, so he would do a good job at that. :p

I agree with you 100% totally. However I tried bringing up the issue over on the Black Mesa forums, only for the Devs to just blow those criticisms off..... as I've should have perdicted by now. Honestly, those suction-cups don't look good at all, they resemble bolts more. There's no reason why they should remain. Plus the red tentacles are a classic feature of the original HL1 Bullsquids. The Bullsquids are better off with red, cup-less tentacles beyond any question. :sleep:
Shrugging off critisim, that's a winning stratagy :rolleyes:
But it doesn't really matter what they do at this stage. It'll still crash many a server come release date.

There is a difference between shrugging off criticism, constructive criticism and opinions of people who think that everything should be done exactly the way they want.

And general bullshit.

There is a difference between shrugging off criticism, constructive criticism and opinions of people who think that everything should be done exactly the way they want.

And general bullshit.

Its called making the mod better, with the community you can get feedback...so you can fix what needs to be fixed rather than ignoring us.

Please read my post again.

We listen to constructive criticism, we ignore useless comments such as ".... looks ass". Then there are people who don't just say "I think it would look better with .... because..." but instead write: "It should have.... No questions". As though their opinion is law.

We appreciate constructive criticism, we don't appreciate arrogant people trying to force their opinions on us.

The Bullsquids are better off with red, cup-less tentacles beyond any question. :sleep:
Agreed, though it won't split my heart in 'twain to see that model stay... From the shot, what I least like is the articulation in those tentacles. I was imagining a Zoidberg level of floppyness I suppose, but it rather looks from the walking bullsquid there that the tentacles are rigidly jointed halfway along their length. They look more like arm-teeth or something.

Back