New Black Mesa news and media

One could argue that. Different development team, different assets, different engine... just the same story, character concepts, and generally same areas.

Half-Life? THIS-IS-BLACK-MESSA!

Then why bother? It is a waste of time, effort and talent.

Then why bother? It is a waste of time, effort and talent.

How is it a waste when there are obviously so many people clamoring for what they are "wasting their time on"? :E
It would be a waste if no one wanted the damn thing, which is obviously not the case. It's maybe an "intellectual waste", since it's not majorly original.

samon, I simply do not understand how or why you are saying it is pointless, I'm sorry samon and pi mu rho but your words are shit!

I am with whitezero all the way, as he said it's not just half-life with good graphics; it's a remake of half-life exept 10 times better, I wish you could appreciate that it will be a lot better and even if there are bad things with it, or it dosent completly live up to expectations the devs have put a hell of alot of time and work into it for our enjoyment!?!?!??? and also as he said ; loads of people want it, so I guess we win.

Oh don't get me wrong, they have worked hard - very hard - but the simple fact is, it's just a remake. It is a mod like any other and I challenge anyone to say it deserves more recognition than the rest - it does not, and if you think it does, you are wrong. It is just Half-life with better graphics. That's it. And if it is more than that? Then it isn't Half-life. And if it isn't Half-life, what is the point?

The talent could have been put to so much better use.
I'm curious to know your feelings about Counter-Strike Source and Day of Defeat Source then. Were there any major differences besides better graphics and flying bodies and barrels? Not that I recall.

I'm going to play this mod (whenever it comes out) because I'm always likely to play through Half-Life 1 again, so why not play with a version that looks really pretty and actually has game physics? That's how I feel about it anyways.
----------------
Now playing: Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
via FoxyTunes

I actually agree with Salmon somewhat. It's just a remake, sure it looks nice and should be fun but there's no real originality to it. Some mods look nice, are fun and are original.

I'm curious to know your feelings about Counter-Strike Source and Day of Defeat Source then. Were there any major differences besides better graphics and flying bodies and barrels? Not that I recall.

The huge, major difference, is that they are multiplayer games - it is totally different to what is happening here, and Valve themselves made them. The fact that I didn't care for either the originals or the 'source' versions is irrelevant, because your point holds no weight.

samon, I simply do not understand how or why you are saying it is pointless, I'm sorry samon and pi mu rho but your words are shit!

I am with whitezero all the way, as he said it's not just half-life with good graphics; it's a remake of half-life exept 10 times better, I wish you could appreciate that it will be a lot better and even if there are bad things with it, or it dosent completly live up to expectations the devs have put a hell of alot of time and work into it for our enjoyment!?!?!??? and also as he said ; loads of people want it, so I guess we win.

Oh no! My words are shit!

And it's going to be 10 times better? Measured on what scale? Cite your source!

I think he rounded up, which is a bit misleading. The statistics actually say 9.66 recurring times better.

So the awesome Resident Evil 1 and Metal Gear Solid remakes for GameCube were a mistake? Graphical improvement packs for games like Duke Nukem, Doom, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are all mistakes?

How original does something have to be to meet some of you people's standards? I'm really curious.
It's not a poly-for-poly remake of Half-Life, folks.

So the awesome Resident Evil 1 and Metal Gear Solid remakes for GameCube were a mistake? Graphical improvement packs for games like Duke Nukem, Doom, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are all mistakes?

How original does something have to be to meet some of you people's standards? I'm really curious.
It's not a poly-for-poly remake of Half-Life folks.

Oh I didn't realise they were awesome remakes, my mistake!

I never said it was a mistake to make something if it isn't original, just that it is less deserving of praise for lacking said originality.

Oh I didn't realise they were awesome remakes, my mistake!

I never said it was a mistake to make something if it isn't original, just that it is less deserving of praise for lacking said originality.

I think the consensus was they were pretty awesome.

And I wasn't trying to direct the comment directly at you, just in general.

Just registered to say thanks for the comments and critiques about our mod!

Obviously we're remaking a very beloved game and there's a ton of pressure to live up to people's expectations of it, but also an underlying question as to why we're remaking it in the first place.

Even from this thread it should be obvious a double standard present in the community, some people say we should not change or re-imagine anything about it, but then others say if we make it exactly the same then we're just wasting our time. We're screwed if we do and we're screwed if we don't :p

What we're shooting for is re-imagining every aspect of the game while still keeping the SPIRIT of Half-Life intact. Some iconic scenes, such as the test chamber, have been kept exactly the same to the last detail. Other parts we've updated to reflect newer, more powerful technology or refined gameplay (yes, there were plenty of flaws in the original game haha). And still others we've changed completely.

But what we hope is never for a second during playing this mod will you doubt you're playing a Half-Life game. You'll have to be the judge of that when you play the mod for yourself, in the meantime the debate will continue to rage onwards. But luckily, it only has a finite amount of time left before it's settled.. more about that in the trailer.

I'm sure that when it's released I'll play it and probably enjoy it. It just seems to be causing a lot of internet drama, and personally I'm slightly iffy about some of the choices that have been made. That said, there has obviously been a lot of effort put in, so I hope all goes well.

The game excites me, because of a mixture of different aspects of my human nature. The first being my desire for nostalgia and to go back to a time when things were better. The second being my attraction to all things pretty. Thus I can understand why you might like the concept.

However, it really isn't original. It's a rehash of a very good game with nicer graphics. It'll be fun to play through and awesome to look at, but it'll still have the same storyline that Half-Life had. You know how it ends, you know what happens. Thus it's just rehash of a previous game.

If you take the time one normally takes to create a full game and deduct the time it takes for generating ideas (hey look, it's already been done for them), deduct the time it takes to make the engine and and then add on people's lack of dedication this mod still should have come out a long time ago. You might expect the wait with something completely innovative and new, but it's honestly been far too long.

internet drama

Lol, internet drama.

The huge, major difference, is that they are multiplayer games - it is totally different to what is happening here, and Valve themselves made them. The fact that I didn't care for either the originals or the 'source' versions is irrelevant, because your point holds no weight.
Just to be a nit and a nitpicker, I was asking about the differences between the different versions of the game, so I don't think "multiplayer games" is a valid answer. But just to make you happy, this mod is unoriginal as hell. :farmer:

A multiplayer game does not rely on a storyline. Simple as.

I applaud the devs for the work they are putting in it. It looks great. However, i think the talent could be put to better use in the form of an entire new idea and something original.

Ahem I didn't mention that one of the biggest gripes I have is the viral marketing they tried to do. Viral marketing, for a mod? Fuuuuuckin hell man!

Again just my thoughts!

Evo this isn't journalism - nobody is going to assume you speak for HL2.net.

You failed to read the thread too I guess. Well done.

I read the thread and I can't see any sort of proof that this was made by anyone related to BM. But nevermind. Everyone has his own opinion. Now this thread is about media release, so once again good job BM team.

Holy yesh, awesome! Hl1 was my favourite game back then and since the dawn of Hl2 I've been wishing for this kind of remake...

And I'm positive that it will trump HL2. Hard.

Wrong. Half-Life: Source is Half-Life with better graphics.
Black Messa is a retelling of Half-Life using brand new models, voice acting, area redesigns, new music score, etc.

It's a way to re-experience a classic, not replay it with "better graphics".

If you want to cheapen the experience for yourself by down playing it, thats your loss.

Agree here, and if im not mistaken full coop support.

I fully intend to be a total dick whenever someone mentions Black Mesa: Source.

I'm really hoping that this mod gets released and turns out to be awesome.

I just want to see a mod this ambitious succeed for once.

No, because that flies in the face of everything modding is about - there are specific reasons as to why BMS has come this far, and none of them will resurface in the future when potential modders, looking to BMS as a kind of inspiration, attempt to replicate its 'success'

I guess ambition, determination and talent are the antithesis of all mod work.

Funny how anyone that bawws about BM having no imagination fails to remember they still have to physically make everything again in a different style at a higher quality.

Back