New Comp

D

DanteTDH

Got it custom built locally, and please don't flame me for my vid card or for me making this thread itself. I'm looking for positive feedback only. Thanks

Pentium 4 2.6 gig. cpu w/ HT tech. 800 FSB
1024 pc3200 mem DDR 400
NVidia Geforce-FX 5900 128mb
56x cd-rom
ASUS P4P800 mobo
420w power supply
30 gig. hardrive
Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard
Windows XP pro.

P.S. I was wondering what would be better for speakers, I haven't bought them yet and I plan on buying them from Wal-Mart (Wally World!) I'm looking at the Creative Inspire 5.1 speakers and the Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speakers (all black in color) Just wondering what everyone's opinion was in the matter. Thanks

Oh yeah and this is my current comp :cheers:

Pentium celeron 500mhz
128mb ram
some intel chipset crap...it's nasty whatever it is
dunno power supply
10 gig hardrive (500 megs left on it)
some soundcard that has 2.1 is all I know
Windows 98
I swear this comp is a POS and a Dinosaur!

Nice computer it should play DX8 games fine with all the wistles and bells on.

It looks as though it will run quite well. The only thing I would recommend is that if you have some more money, spend it on a larger hard drive. Maybe a 60 or 80GB Western Digital, make sure you get the Special Edition with 8MB of cache. Or, if you're sure you won't need any more hard drive space, but you want a very fast hard drive and you have the money, you could get the 36GB Western Digital Raptor SATA drive. It's not faster because it's SATA, it's faster because it runs at 10,000 RPM instead of 7,200. The only drawback is that it's very expensive; I think it's around 120 USD online. Also, if you have the money, I'd recommend getting the Mushkin Level 2 Black RAM, that RAM is the best you can get at the moment because the timings are fantastic. It's also quite expensive though. Also, you could save a little money by getting a P4 2.4C and overclock it with just the stock cooling. It won't go as high as if you were getting high quality cooling, but you could most likely get it above 2.6 GHZ. Just my two cents.

EDIT - I didn't notice that you said you already bought this stuff. It'll definitely run like a dream.

Trust me, when I looked at all what was needed to run HL2, I knew I needed to get a new comp and fast. I looked at tons of review sites and sites for a month. Then my aunt called me one day and told me about this place that's local so I went and checked them out and they gave me a goooooooood deal (all that stuff for under a $1000 dollars....$998 :) )
So I went with that, seemed plenty for me and it'll last for a while, plus this will be the first comp I'll be upgrading that's my own so I'm excited about that when new hardware comes out.

oh yeah, I got the 30 gig. hardrive because I play only Half-Life games mainly, I don't have time for much else and I don't use my harddrive for very many movies so I thought a 30 gig hardrive would do me just fine.

Originally posted by DanteTDH
Got it custom built locally, and please don't flame me for my vid card or for me making this thread itself. I'm looking for positive feedback only. Thanks

Pentium 4 2.6 gig. cpu w/ HT tech. 800 FSB
1024 pc3200 mem DDR 400
NVidia Geforce-FX 5900 128mb
56x cd-rom
ASUS P4P800 mobo
420w power supply
30 gig. hardrive
Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard
Windows XP pro.

P.S. I was wondering what would be better for speakers, I haven't bought them yet and I plan on buying them from Wal-Mart (Wally World!) I'm looking at the Creative Inspire 5.1 speakers and the Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speakers (all black in color) Just wondering what everyone's opinion was in the matter. Thanks

Oh yeah and this is my current comp :cheers:

Pentium celeron 500mhz
128mb ram
some intel chipset crap...it's nasty whatever it is
dunno power supply
10 gig hardrive (500 megs left on it)
some soundcard that has 2.1 is all I know
Windows 98
I swear this comp is a POS and a Dinosaur!
positive feedback only?

How's this for feedback
Should have gotten an Audigy card and a card that will be able to run dx9 games

If you're going to be playing HL and related stuff pretty much, you should have gotten an ATi card instead. However, I'm sure you'll run old DX8 games great. :D ?

it will

5900's are more than capable of running DX9 games and I knew I'd run into a few asses and ATI fanboys...I even asked politely for no flameing and I got it anyway. BTW. info is straight from Tom's hardware reviews so enjoy

ATi Radeon 9500 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9500 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9600 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9700 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 Value (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5800 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5800 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)

NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA) <--mine

if your going to go all ati fanboy or ass off please go find some other thread to do so, I'm asking for well rounded opinions thanks.

P.S. Here is some more info for the back. http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-12.html

Re: it will

Originally posted by DanteTDH
5900's are more than capable of running DX9 games and I knew I'd run into a few asses and ATI fanboys...I even asked politely for no flameing and I got it anyway. BTW. info is straight from Tom's hardware reviews so enjoy

ATi Radeon 9500 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9500 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9600 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9700 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 Value (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5800 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5800 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 Ultra (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA)

NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 (DirectX 9, multi sampling FSAA) <--mine

if your going to go all ati fanboy or ass off please go find some other thread to do so, I'm asking for well rounded opinions thanks.

P.S. Here is some more info for the back. http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-12.html
What do you mean with this? Reviews show that the 5900 is compliant, yes, but not very fast in real DX9... It gets beaten by the 9600 in speed (at higher quality). But that doesnt matter, as long as you are happy :)

Btw, all FX (and G4 and below) can do Super Sampling AA too. Though its a hybrid (mix of MSAA and SSAA at the higher modes, for example 6x would be 4x+2x). But ATI MSAA beats all Nvidia modes anyway :)

so far I've found a few reviews where the 5900 is beat either by the ati pro 128 or 256 by around 4-6 fps but the 5900 Ultra beats those by around another 5-6 fps and yeah I'm VERY happy with my choice and sorry if it seems like I went off, I've seen a lot of people slamming NVidia around here and I was just throwing in my 2 cents. that's all (info above is with 4xFSAA & 8x Anisotropic on.)

Ok, Please no one make any more comments about his video card... itmight run HL2 at 60fps rather than 65, but it's not a big deal. the 5900u is a great card, and so is the 9800pro. Leave it aat that.

To be the first one to answer your question....Altec Lansing is the better speaker company.

looks good for a hl2 rig and you can overclock it a bit if you want

for the speakers id choose creative.

bleh, creative? They make good sound cards, but thier audio setups leavesoemthing to be deisired...

Back