New computer

Rambo

Reaction score
Ok guys, i have 5k and im looking to buy a good pc. Im to much of an idiot and to build it myself and i was wondering 2 things....

1)Should i wait till the 9800xt comes out since hl2 is prolly delayed

2)What gaming PC is the best? Alienware?Hypersonic-pc.com?ect

Thx in adv.

Befor ethe rush of people say "oh build your own" he obviously dones't want to, so if thats all you have to contribute, don't posts.

My personal favorite of the pre-builts is Falcon Northwest.....get a Mach 5 Exotix

yea but if u buy all the parts seprate u could get some hardware store to build it for u...ud get a much better deal that way and its more fun :D

dude for 5K you could build an amazing system
i recommend making it your self, its very easy and youll save like 500 bucks or more.
if you want the current top of the line stuff 5k will easily cover it.
I dont recommend getting an LCD monitor, they are terrible for gaming

you could wait though. 64bit cpus are coming out soon, so you may want a 64 bit system, and a radeon 420.

cause if i spent 5k, then a month later a newer card came out, faster cpus, ect i'd be pissed.

this post is such a mess of random ideas sorry.

well also if you dont want to build you can configure a system from a standard computer store site they charge a bit for putting it together and stufff.

If you dont know what to look for then grab a falcon, alienware are way overpriced.

Hey i have an idea....dont double post.

Hey i have an idea...build you own. Saying something like "I dont want to" is just stupid. It saves you money, and you have the freedeom of getting every single part you want. Even if you dont know how to put together a pc. There are plenty of places that will do it for you under $100. Compusa maybe, pc warehouse, etc etc

however, no one can come close to matching the case on a Mach V Exotix. That is one pretty case.

Xaser III > Any case in the world.

Xaser III?

Well what should i start w/ to build it my own? Could some1 like give me a whole pricelist on what i need? Like tell me every part of ur dream machine...

Also, what do u guys think of hypersonic-pc.com

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
however, no one can come close to matching the case on a Mach V Exotix. That is one pretty case.

You mean the Coolermaster 110. That case is the best one out there. It's not without reason that Falcon uses them. Anyway if you're interested in some reviews of the case, here they are...

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0zMzk=
http://www.gamingin3d.com/reviews/atc-110/main.shtml
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=atc110&page=1&cookie_test=1
http://www.hwguru.com/view_review.asp?reviewid=53

heres what u should do in my opinion, go look at a pre-built system and see what components they are using. go do some research on thos components and how much they would cost if u bought them sperately at other retailers. add the prices up and im pretty sure that it would be a lot cheaper if u built ur own. take the component and price list and go do some shopping at the places which are cheap. when all that is done, take all those components to a computer store with hardware service, and they will put it together for u for a fee and now u got a system with everything of ur choice without having to be overcharged from pre-built comp manufacters.

heres a list of stuff u need...
case-get a nice case, preferely a fulltower so u can be sure the motherboard will fit. can be anywhere from about 50 to 150 depending on brand, design, material and extra features included. i like the xaser iii series

cpu-since u have a big budget to spend, get a p4 3.06 i belive its about 500. get an athlon xp 3000+ if u wanna save some more. belive its about 400. i dont really know price casue cant afford one so dont keep track

motherboard-get an asus abit board, they are two excellent manufacters. about 80-150 depending on which model for which cpu. make sure the board is compatible to with the cpu; u dont wanna buy board made for amd if ur getting and p4 (rong sockets)

power supply- get one thats at least 400watts so u have a lt of juice for the comp. under 100

cpu fan- if cpu didnt come with fan, u can buy one thats compatible for cpu for about 30

memeory- get ddr 2700 or 3200 depending on which type ur motherboad can use. have atleast 512mb. use corsair or kensington, booth good brands with decent prices. average cost is about 90 for every 512.

video card-this is a big debate on which one u should get. but both are about 450-500. (fx5900 or9800 pro)

hard drive- dont need a big one; 40 gb is fine for about 80 or less. make sure its 7200rpm or faster or else loading ill be hella slow

sound card-if ur motherboard doest come with one or u want a seperate card, get a soundblaster card for about 80

dvd/cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd-rw - choose one of these; i recomment dvd-rw drive. u can get a good one for 200 or less.

i belive this is about all u need. of corse these are estimated prices for the best things in there catagory

it can be a lot less but i doubt it can be more.

wait dude. athlon 64 is just a couple of weeks away. And its going to be about %40-%50 faster in dx9 games than p4, so yeah, wait just a few weeks. I personally would look for places to build it to your specs.

well if you can make do with your current system for a little while id say wait for the athlon64 and pci express.

normally i would agree, but with 5k i dont think anybody wants to wait

I wish I had 5k for a computer but I'm stuck with only 1.5k and that took me a long ass time to get.

www.alienware.com sells great computers. You could get something like the following there.

P4 3.2 Ghz 800 FSB
2048 PC3200 RAM
120 Gig HD
Radeon 9800 Pro 128/256
etc...

Just mess around with the configurator. Goto the products button and select gaming systems then desktop. Pick Intel or AMD then click the customize button.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MHGSBG/article.php/3069551 This comp was built with a $2,500 budget, half of what you have. The systems here (1 has an amd processor, the other uses intel) are very muscular for the money, and since you have an extra $2,500 to spend, you can buy some extra stuff, like buying 2 sticks of 1gb ram instead of 2 sticks of 512. And you could buy a gigantic 22" monitor, among other things.

But the best bet would be to wait 1 or two months for the new 64bit processors, and the new chipsets from ATi and nvidia.

well let me tell u that i have a

p4 1.6 ghz
512 of SDRam :(
and a gf4 ti4200
I think medium settings shold get me in the range of like 30 fps :)

i was hoping to buy my new pc for hl2 but im gonna wait for the new rad card and 64bit. BTW whats PCI Express? I hear its like better than amd 64bit new comps?

Back