new custom pc

M

Mr.B

Well I am obviously getting a brand new custom pc and i thought i would post the specs here and see what some of you guys think, like if it should run well or if a certain part is holding another certain part back.

-Intel Pentium 4 2.80C GHz 512K 800FSB w/ Hyper-Threading

-Asus P4P800 Deluxe-UAY w/ DualDDR400, Audio, GB LAN, SATA, IDE RAID, 1394, WinDVD

-OCZ 512MB PC3200 DDR Premier Series w/ Heatspeader

-Antec Performance II SX1040B II w/ SmartPower 400W

-VANTEC Stealth Fan, 80mm (case fan)

-Panasonic 1.44MB Floppy Drive

-Seagate 80GB Barracuda 7200.7 ATA Fluid Dynamic Bearing

-LG 16X(48Xcdrom) DVD-ROM

-ATI Radeon 9500pro 128MB

-Viewsonic E90 (CRT, 19in, Beige) monitor

-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 OEM

-Creative Labs Inspire 4.1 4400 speakers

-Microsoft Multimedia Optical Keyboard & Mouse Value Pak OEM

-and i haven't decided if i want to use my old windows 98 SE or buy windows XP

And thats all for about $2100 canadian, so if i could get some opinions that would be great.

My opinion, and it wont get any better than this: Bring the 2.8 down to a 2.4C, you can OC it to that and WAY farther, so easily. With that extra money, get a gig of ram, and a 9800 pro.

also get windows XP, you wont want 98 with that. Im sure you can get an XP CD from a friend, and then just make a backup of it.

That xp idea is good, but if i was to OC what kinda cooling will i need?

Originally posted by Mr.B

ive heard that the 2.4c is extremley overclockable with regular stock cooling.

where are you buying from? also, get the keyboard and the mouse seperate... unless you're really attached to it, cause in those kinds of "value" packs, they're always trying to screw u over

MAN YOU WONT GET MORE THAN 6FPZ's!!!! YOUR COMPUTER IS 4n7! l337n3$$ n0 t3h pwn f4c3

Yes as they said, its almost gauranteed you can get it over 3 ghz stock cooling. If you got a thermalright slk900u, with maybe a vantec stealth, tornado, or a TT smart fan 2, you could probly get it over 3.5ghz. And i would recommend buying from www.newegg.com Best prices, i can barely find better. Great shipping, and THE BEST customer service around.

wtf my post didnt come up.
I said "Thats the second post of ridics that ive seen like that"

think about this, there will be virtually no noticeable difference between the 2800+ and the 2.8c, yet the 2800+ is cheaper and the supporting parts (mobo) are generally cheaper as well for AMDs, plust AMD mobos support one of the best chipsets around, for either Intel or AMD, the Nforce2, which can have an impact on memory and processor performance

Originally posted by Doobz
think about this, there will be virtually no noticeable difference between the 2800+ and the 2.8c, yet the 2800+ is cheaper and the supporting parts (mobo) are generally cheaper as well for AMDs, plust AMD mobos support one of the best chipsets around, for either Intel or AMD, the Nforce2, which can have an impact on memory and processor performance

do not listen to doobz...he has no facts to back up that the 2800+ is even close to a 2.8c

Im sure people will back me up on this.

edit: doobz....im still waiting for some proof that a 2800+ is as fast as a 2.8c???

well after looking at the first article....it seems the 2800+ is about 10-15% slower than a 2.8 with a 533mhz fsb

...and 15-20 or so % with a 800Mhz fsb after reading some other articles...

Its funny becuase both of those article say that the amd chips are not as fast.

lets compare a 2.4c about 170$ with a 2800+ for about 160$

not a signifacant price differance .....and one of those cpus can be clocked more than 50% above what its shipped at with some aftermarket cooling. effectivly making it faster than a 3.2 Ghz model from intel

"given the fact that a 2.25GHz processor is even competing with a 2.8 GHz and for a lower price... "

Why are you so obbsessed with the ratings? Im talking real world performance.
The fact that they run at differant frequencys means nothing. I just use there ratings to tell the differance between each cpu.

did you even read the tomshardware article? at all? it won in that arrangement

in the anandtech article it lost, but looking at the game benchs it came ahead, so, i don't know where you're pulling those numbers from...

also, consider the chipset

now, point me to a chipset as good as the Nforce2 for Intels and i'll settle on that topic

and why do you keep misreading my posts? i'm not hung up on ratings, i mean, here i am, giving you proof of real world performance, discussing real world performance, not comparing ratings

i made the statement about it competing cus it really is something to think about, a 2.25GHz competing with a 2.8GHz, that's not ratings, that IS real world performance

Do you guys smell what I smell? I smell an AMD fanboy. A 2.4c Pentium beats a 2800+ in most benchmarks. :eek:

i am no fanboy for any publisher/developer/manufacturer
in fact, i'm using a p4 1.8GHz right now
and that statement you made proves that you did not click either of the links i gave

that is absoultly awful

for 2100cdn i could have done a LOT better, and topped it off with a 9800pro

that is a complete waste of money.

-OCZ 512MB PC3200 DDR Premier Series w/ Heatspeader

Make sure that 512MB of RAM is two 256MB sticks. If you only put one 512MB stick into your system, you'll be running in single channel mode, and the FSB will clock itself down.

Doobz: I looked through the benchmarks, and the 2800+ won about half of the benchmarks compared the the 2.8 533mhz fsb. the 800mhz fsb gives the p4 an advantage that AMD can compete with.

aye, they can, can they? :cheers:

sorry, just had to rag on that

it may not beat it the 800 fsb, but you have to give it credit that, given it's low clock and price, it manages to stay relatively competitive

plus, if you go with an AMD you can get the awsome Nforce2 chipset, can't do that with intel, can ya?

Originally posted by Steven Q Urkle
that is absoultly awful

for 2100cdn i could have done a LOT better, and topped it off with a 9800pro

that is a complete waste of money.

Ok then, instead of trying to make it seem as if I'm a n idiot, why don't you just give me a little help. Where are you shopping from to get this for starters?

EDIT: just thought I'd add that that setup i posted was taken from memoryexpress.com. I am trying to get my computer from a store in calgary, or at least one that offers something way cheaper with the shipping cost added.

Originally posted by jbscotchman
Do you guys smell what I smell? I smell an AMD fanboy. A 2.4c Pentium beats a 2800+ in most benchmarks. :eek:

lol, ok, moron.

" "

Test #1 on tomshardware - Testing the nanoseconds it takes to go from one folder to the next. Hmm, looks like the 2800+ beats the 2.4c by 8nanoseconds. But, wait...that cant be. This is tomshardware, screw AMD. Lets just say the 2.4c won insted.

Test #2 on tomshardware - Tested how fast each toms harware reviewer could eat his ham sandwhich. Bob won this time, so we decided to say that the 2.4c was better than the 2800+.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
lol, ok, moron.

" "

Test #1 on tomshardware - Testing the nanoseconds it takes to go from one folder to the next. Hmm, looks like the 2800+ beats the 2.4c by 8nanoseconds. But, wait...that cant be. This is tomshardware, screw AMD. Lets just say the 2.4c won insted.

Test #2 on tomshardware - Tested how fast each toms harware reviewer could eat his ham sandwhich. Bob won this time, so we decided to say that the 2.4c was better than the 2800+.

I have to say that is so true. TH is biased towards intel.

lol, ok, moron.

" "

To bad you can overclock a 2.4c so that its faster than a 3200+ :)

...and it will still run rock solid.

Originally posted by Doobz
and why do you keep misreading my posts? i'm not hung up on ratings, i mean, here i am, giving you proof of real world performance, discussing real world performance, not comparing ratings

i made the statement about it competing cus it really is something to think about, a 2.25GHz competing with a 2.8GHz, that's not ratings, that IS real world performance

.......you can twist words all you want........i dont care

Originally posted by crabcakes66
To bad you can overclock a 2.4c so that its faster than a 3200+ :)

...and it will still run rock solid.

well im not talking about over clocking.

Anyways, overclocking also depends on your mobo. You would need a really nice mobo to overclock it that much

Hmm not really. Any i865PE or i875P board thats not intel can overclock almost the same amount, and have practically the same amount of stability.

well im not talking about over clocking.

Anyways, overclocking also depends on your mobo. You would need a really nice mobo to overclock it that much

i was just reading up on the subject.......and the numbers are pretty impressive.

Although a Mobo based on the 865/875 chipset is needed....there are budget models without all the extra crap like raid gigabit ethernet.....

overall......I dont see how a faster system can be built for less money, AMD or Intel.

between 3.0 and 3.3 Ghz(having some fast memory is a plus) with "STOCK" cooling....

Both Amd and Intel fanboys should be impressed with those kinds of numbers......

your looking at a minumum of about 700-750$(thats a rough estimate) for the basic parts of a 3200+ based system ...(just CPU, decent 512 ram, mobo and a good powersupply)

now with a 2.4c based system. you are looking at around
450-520$(rough estimate) for the basics.

And the 2.4c ....can be made faster with some simple Bios changes that anyone can do.

(my estimates are for top end PS, high end ram, mid-level Mobo)

Im not favoring Intel or Amd here ....i just think its kind of cool :)

Im ordering a 2.4c, abit is7-g, and 1 gig of corsair XMS PC3700. Thats the basics and that together costs about $630 on newegg. But itll still be better then any AMD system.

Im also ordering from newegg a 2500+ with an NF7-S, and hyperX PC3200. Cost: roughly $340.

Itll sure be worth the more money that it is for my 2.4c system then with my 2500+ system though.

Im ordering a 2.4c, abit is7-g, and 1 gig of corsair XMS PC3700. Thats the basics and that together costs about $630 on newegg. But itll still be better then any AMD system.

keep telling yourself that

K, i just said out loud several times in a row "itll be better then any AMD system". After a few tries things just came blurted out. I dont get it?

Originally posted by crabcakes66
Stop being a little bitch.

excuse me? i dont even own an AMD.

IM a big bitch btw

the only thing the 2.4c owns is the 2400+

Back