New DoD picture.

Mr. Redundant said:
I was going to bring that up too, but I think your rant is in vain.. most people in the thread liked the pic.

lol yeah, I knew I should've put in somewhere that these people i'm talking about know who they are :p At least I wasn't the only person being somewhat annoyed by the negativity that always seems to hang around nowadays =/

Wesisapie said:
well if its all about the gameplay why dont you stay on DOD 1.3??? the only update i can see in DOD:s is a graphics update, so whats the point? really?

unless you count prop physics as a gameplay update, look how that went in cs:s though. its useless.

physics make the environment feel much more realistic. if it werent for the physics in cs source, i wouldnt be playing it.

source engine online games will always look much worse in screenshots than while playing. Because the nature of the candy involved in them is less poly's more shaders, more 3d skybox trickery and so forth. And unless your looking at the same shot from multiple angles you can hardly ever see material shaders in a screenshot. Unless your just looking at water.

As for cs:S prop physics being useless, eh you can do some very nifty things with objects in certain enviornments, completly changing the gameplay.

You must also understand that these games arent meant to be new at first. They are meant to be direct ports so that users of older versions can converge to the new engine much more comfortably, at the same time allow for future updates, perhaps game modes, game types, gameplay and so forth. The success of a mod like dod or cs isn't changing things fast but gradually over tyime adding featurers and letting god(fans) sort them out.

Looks alot better then with the halflife 1 engine..can't wait :)

It's obvious they haven't updated all the geometry and textures yet.

I'm glad it's not redone as much as css, that means I can run it over 60fps.

I don't understand these ridiculous comparisons to CS:S. The DOD team was busy working on Half-Life 2, and so DOD:S has so far had less development time than CS:S. Thus, comments about lack of effort or some other such bullshit have no validity.

There's a reason as to why DOD:S has not been released yet.

I suggest you people sit down, grab an otter pop, and chill. When more screenshots have been released, or you have more substantial information, then you can feel free to bitch and moan.

Heres a quote directly from the DoD team:

We're not at a stage where we want to show things off yet.

Does that explain anything? The reason they dont want to show off yet is that they know what peoples reactions will be.

Taking only the top half of the DoD:S screenshot, it looks pretty damn good. Moving downward though, your eyes are drawn to the HL1 style weapon model, wooden bench, floor and debris. Obviously people have trouble focusing on one specific area that has been improved.

To me, it looks like they have added the light and particle effects, and slapped some new textures on. It will only be when they start to up the poly-count and completely redo things that people will take notice. For the moment, we just have to sit back, wait, and *sigh* try to be content with Half Life 2 and CS:S, which valve are so kindly providing for us.

killahsin-[CE] said:
As for cs:S prop physics being useless, eh you can do some very nifty things with objects in certain enviornments, completly changing the gameplay.
I dont know who said that.. but the props definitely arent useless. In the beta I loved hiding the bomb with barrels and then watching some CT check for the bomb, not see it, and head for the next site.

Back