New Fiction: HL: Second Sight

J

jonesey_11

Hello everyone, this is a new piece of fiction I've started working on, it'll be up on FanFiction.Net soon, but I'd love to get some feedback from the community!

Prologue

You will see, sooner and later, great changes made,
Extreme horrors and vengeances:
For as the moon is thus led by its angel,
The heavens draw near to the reckoning.

-Nostradamus. Century 1, Quatrain 56

“Do you have anything of important concern to add, Mr…”

Breen trailed off, hoping for a name. He received another expressionless stare. The man before him was not unlike the others- a slender man in a dark suit, entering his office at an inopportune time- a bureaucrat through and through. But there was something about this man and this man in particular that made Breen uneasy. It wasn’t his raspy voice or his skeletal appearance which bothered Breen. It was his eyes. For as long as this man had been in his office, his eyes had been fixed on Breen, watching him. Studying him. In the instants when Breen’s eyes met his, Breen got the uncomfortable feeling that he was staring into something much deeper than eyes- as if all of his questions would be answered if only he could see through those steely beads.

The man spoke again. “Dr. Isaac Kleiner has requested a less… potent sample for his team’s next test. You are kindly requested to replace the sample with a safer grade.”

Breen stood up from his posh chair overlooking Black Mesa Canyon. “Absolutely out of the question. Do you know the lengths my people went to in order to obtain such a perfect sample from the… outlying world? This will be one of our most important tests. There is absolutely no chance in getting a substitution!”

The man cocked his head slightly and frowned. “There are…repercussions for non-compliance, Mr. Breen.”

“Doctor. And really, at this point, you bureaucrats have dried my patience. There is absolutely no chance that you will get such an important experiment changed.”

The man made an unnerving noise, half way between a sigh and a gulp. “I am sure a man of your… stature can understand the importance of… employee safety. We really do encourage these…experiments, but unfortunately cannot allow for this particular experiment to take place. I take it we understand each other?”

Breen leaned forward over his desk. “No we do not understand each other. You go back and tell your people that if they want to end this line of experimentation, then they can give me an official order to do so. Until then, we are proceeding as planned in the Sector C Anomalous Materials labs. And another thing, exactly which division of the US government do you work for? I know most of the others to come lurking around here have come from the CIA, but you?” Breen laughed, slinking back into his chair. “I’m guessing, straight from the Division of Advanced Research Science? Or hell, maybe you’re here on direct order from the President.”

The man raised his head a touch and made a pathetic attempt at a smile. “I serve a much… higher authority.”

With that, the man gathered his briefcase and walked promptly out of Breen’s office. No doubt he’d be prowling the facility for the next few days, Breen thought with distain. He knew that if the government wanted to have an experiment cancelled, they would do it one way or another. Unless this man…

Breen shut his eyes with a start. No, it was impossible, he reassured himself. He was a government agent, nothing more. He couldn’t possibly know about the Heirarchy, about the Synth… Still, it was not a risk worth taking.

Breen picked up his phone and dialed an extension. “Yes, Eli? We’re pushing your team’s experiment ahead…Tomorrow, if at all possible…I don’t care if your senior HEV-team member is unavailable, you will find an replacement…Yes, fine, by all means, use your latest addition, just be ready to go by tomorrow!”

Breen hung up the telephone and buried his face in his palms on the polished wooden surface of his desk. “Eli, forgive me for what I have done.”

The man walked outside of the administrator’s office, frowning. He took a seat next to a vast window overlooking the canyon, and placed his briefcase out in front of him. Opening it, he retrieved a small piece of fabric with the insignia “UU” emblazoned on it in gold. He flipped to the reverse side, seeing what he already knew was there. A handwritten message was scrawled across the back.

It was in a language that no man had any right understanding, yet the man was able to recite it back to himself in English: “To help you remember.”

U.U. The Scourge. The Universal Union. For all his power, for all his intellect, the man had failed. He had failed an employer. He had never failed an employer. And I’m not about to start, he reflected. Yes, it was possible- just barely possible, but possible nonetheless- for the United States Armed Forces to arrive in time to stop an outbreak situation. Stranger things have happened, he though, laughing the laugh of a man who had seen stranger things that, by all accounts, should never happen in all the known universe. After all, life is full of surprises.

And one man was about to prove him right.

Breen checked his watch. 9:09. It should have already happened by now. He got a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach- what if it didn’t happen? What if the Synth had betrayed him? Despite his anxiety, Breen also felt a different emotion: hope. Maybe there would be no incident after all. Maybe he would be given a second chance. He stared back down at his hands, watching his forefinger rub his glass contemplatively. He had opened his private supply of 12-year-old scotch, which was now resting at the bottom of his finest glassware. As he watched the tinted liquid, he noticed ripples beginning to form on its surface, and looked up in a start as he came to realize that the walls were shaking in a low rumble. The warm lights which lit his mahogany desk and bookshelves flickered on and off briefly, and then steadied their stream of light as the tremors subsided. Breen took another look down at the scotch and downed the glass in one large sip. What was done could no longer be undone.

Eli checked his watch, as he rounded the last corner to the residential complex. 3:34. It was hard to believe that it had taken him six hours to reach topside level, but what surprised him even more was his ability to survive, despite the warring armies all around him- of both terrestrial and otherworldly origin. The tears running down his cheeks were barely noticeable against his already sweat-drenched skin. He wished, for a moment, that he had not chosen to carry such a cumbersome weapon as the shotgun he had pulled off of a recently killed soldier. He wished for a lot of things, in fact, but only one of them really mattered to him- he wished he could have saved his wife…

She had been right there, behind him, urging him forward. They had darted from column to column along the vast hallways of the Beta Labs. And then, after just another switch to a new cover- her words of encouragement had suddenly ceased. Eli remembered vividly the look on her eyes as he turned back to see her there, as she lay sprawled across the tiled floor, blood pooling up below her, a visible bullet piercing her stomach. She had looked directly into Eli’s eyes in desperation, mouthing something that he could not hear. But he knew exactly what she had said; her eyes had told him by the way they became slits at the mention of her noiseless word. “Alyx.”

He fumbled now with his set of keys, finding quickly the one that opened his apartment. He gave a quick prayer as he violently slammed the door open with a crash. He breathed an immense sigh of relief as he saw Alyx safe in her crib, crying. He dropped his shotgun in pure relief, running over to her and clutching her over his shoulder.

“Don’t cry, sweetheart. Daddy’s here,” he said, turning towards the parking lot. Good. He could still see his tiny car amid the SUV’s of the residential lot. They were almost free. Alyx calmed down considerably as her father smiled.

And then, she went completely silent. Eli’s eyes went wide and he took an uneven breath as he heard the sound behind him. An animalistic sound, unlike any he had heard before that day. He turned slowly, to face what he feared to face. In his doorway, basked in the light of the hallway, stood a Vortigaunt, its body hunched forward maliciously. Eli quickly scanned the room- his shotgun was much too far away for him to grasp. He backed up slowly, into the corner of the room, and the Vortigaunt followed with equally slow, methodical footsteps. As it approached, Eli sank to his knees, still trying to comfort Alyx. Seeing his own reflection in the massive, red eye of the beast, he tried to imagine himself far away from Black Mesa. He tried to imagine himself anywhere but in his ruined apartment, clutching his infant child, and getting ready to be ripped apart by a Xenian creature. There was no hiding left to do, no more running…just him, his daughter, and the thing. The creature gave another strange vocal sound, louder this time, and wound its arm back, preparing to strike. Eli closed his eyes, preparing for the blow.

It didn’t come. He forcing himself to pry his eyes open, and saw the beast was still there. It was doing something altogether strange. The Vortigaunt raised its shackled arms before its face, twisting its forearms around as if studying the metallic contraptions. It looked back at Eli, cocking its head slightly, almost out of curiosity. Then, with one abrupt movement, the Vortigaunt gave a flick of its wrists. The metal shackles came clanging to the floor, followed quickly by the creature’s leg braces. The creature made another throaty noise, this time less hostile than the last.

Eli permitted himself to rise slowly to his feet, in awe at the event before him. The Vortigaunt looked again at Eli, and then at Alyx, and folded its two large hands together, bowing ever-so-slightly towards Eli.

“H…hello,” Eli managed to push out.

The Vortigaunt paused for a moment, and then, in a deep voice, echoed him, “Hello.”

Amazed, Eli asked, “You…do you speak English?”

Again the Vortigaunt replied, “You. Do you speak English.”

Alyx giggled. Even Eli allowed himself a smile in the face of all he had dealt with that day. In a moment of recognition, he thought of Gordon, and the rumour that he had made it to the border world at last. His grin widened.

“Freeman…”

The Vortigaunt before him, and every other living Vortigaunt, echoed him in reply.

“Free-man.”

---
Next chapter coming soon!

it's good (everyones say that) but i like it more than that story ahh Sylvester the polaroid crab. How long did it take you to write?

Thanks for the kind words, I'm hoping to make my chapters a little meatier than the norm, more like a standard book chapter, which may mean a bit of time between them...I should have the first chapter ready by tomorrow. As for your question, eatbugs: a couple of hours spread over two nights.

Chapter 1 : On a Train to a City

Pestilences extinguished, the world becomes smaller,
For a long time the lands will be inhabited in peace:
People will travel safely through the sky over land and wave:
Then wars will start anew.
-Nostradamus, Century 1, Quatrain 63

Again he was dreaming about Black Mesa. He was in the Alpha labs once more with his wife. He was with his daughter, staring down the Vortigaunt. He was guiding his daughter and the benevolent creature to the car lot. This is where his dream began to lose focus, but he was always able to replay this part back in his mind. The three of them approached their level on the lot, and began to hear noises- people!- down below. Eli listened for evidence that they were soldiers.

“Come on, doc, can’t we get this going any faster?”

The voices were clearly not military. “Unless you’ve needed to hotwire a car before this day, I think you are in no place to make demands.”

Eli crept forward into the shadows surrounding ground level, spying a small group of battered survivors huddled around a large Black Mesa vehicle, inside which a man in a torn lab was working. As the engine roared to life, the man wearing the security outfit spoke again, “Good going…alright everyone, get whoever you can in this one and we’ll try to jack some more.”

As the man in the SUV was pulled out, Eli let out a relieved laugh. It was Dr. Isaac Kleiner, of all people, who’d managed to survive this catastrophe. Somehow Eli was not surprised. He began to approach the group from behind, and the noise of his walking did not go undetected- in a flash, the security guard had spun, his gun trained on Eli’s chest. “Freeze, stay back.”

Kleiner rushed forward, pushing the guard’s steadied arms down. “Eli? Eli Vance, that really is you! I can’t believe you made it here!”

“Dang, sir,” said the guard apologetically. “I didn’t recognize you for a minute there. It’s me, Barney, I work security for your team in the Sector C test labs. Well, I used to…”

Suddenly, Barney redrew his weapon, aiming behind Eli. “Look out behind you, I think I can take him!”

Eli wheeled, bellowing at Barney to hold. He leapt towards the Vortigaunt, shielding it from harm. For a moment, no one moved- Eli, Barney, the Vortigaunt… And then Alyx appeared between the legs of Eli, crawling forward towards the group of survivors. Barney lowered his weapon against the dim light of a self-sustained fire. Eli looked around, beginning to notice even more science team and security personnel emerging from the darkness. It was here that Eli’s memory always jumped forward by about forty minutes, as the final cars were being prepared to evacuate the facility.

Eli had been working on settling Alyx into her booster seat when he heard a frantic, familiar voice behind him. “Eli, you made it? Oh, thank God!”

He turned to face Dr. Breen, his left eye smeared with blood, his suit ripped to the point where it became indistinguishable from the dirt and grime on Breen’s undergarments. He was accompanied by several men in dark blue jumpsuits- his personal security staff. It was no surprise that he had survived this far. Eli’s brief relief at seeing an old friend quickly turned to indignation.

“Wallace, damn it, look at what you’ve unleashed!”

Breen took a step back, acting surprised. “Me? Eli you can’t possibly blame me for this horrific accident!”

“This ‘horrific accident’…” Eli became choked up. “This ‘horrific accident’ is what killed my wife.”

Breen closed his eyes in a moment of silent reflection, opening them again to look at Eli with sorrow. “Eli…I am so sorry. I do blame myself for allowing this experiment to continue, you don’t think I won’t have to live with that guilt for the rest of my life?”

He took a step towards Eli, placing his outstretched arm on his shoulder. Eli twisted himself away. “Then if the resonance cascade was such an accident, why, Wallace, WHY did you send in the army to exterminate us?”

“Me? Look at me Eli, really look at me.” Their eyes locked, unable to break away from one another’s stare. “I had nothing to do with the arrival of those soldiers. You have to believe me.” Although he had no way of knowing at the time, Eli was being told the only truth he would hear from Breen that day.

The rest became a blur. He remembered cheering as their convoy crossed the threshold of the Black Mesa main gate, their gas peddles firmly hitting the carpet on their cars. He remembered the arrival of the bright white light behind him, and his screams to not look. He remembered the shockwave, sending cars flying off the road. He remembered waking up in the ditch with the yells of injured people all around him and a Vortigaunt standing over him. He remembered seeing Alyx beside him, miraculously unharmed. He remembered wondering what the Vortigaunt was doing, emitting a blue stream of gentle light towards his body. But most of all, he remembered wondering why he could only feel one of his legs.

“Sir?”

Eli’s eyes opened, adjusting to the light of the train car. How long had he been asleep? A middle-aged woman in a uniform was standing over him. “Sir, I apologize for waking you, but we have received a request from a Dr. Breen to meet him in the meal car as soon as was possible.”

Eli nodded, sending the woman off. He peeled back the screen on the car window and peered out at the snowy, white expanses they were rolling through and wondered with a note of sadness if any man would be safe to walk through such beautiful wilderness again. He turned to the seat next to him. His daughter, now nine years old, was sleeping soundly against a complimentary pillow. He leaned forward and pecked her softly on the cheek, causing her to stir and change positions. With a smile, he rose. A dull ache in his upper left leg served as a constant reminder of his disability as he quietly slipped out of his chamber and into the hall, heading towards the next car.

It was hard to believe that seven years had passed since the Black Mesa incident that had cost him far more than his leg. Those who had survived the eventual nuclear catastrophe had immediately decried the government’s swift cover-up campaign. As the news of the true nature of Black Mesa started to spread, people the world over began propagating the stories of bravery that emerged from that fateful day. The survivors immediately became instant icons, but one man’s story in particular- the story of the unlikely research associate who defied all odds- was whispered on the lips of every man, woman, and child. The popular version of Gordon Freeman’s story, that he somehow managed to fight his way to the head of an alien army and defeated it, was only fueled by the appearance of non-hostile, intelligent (though unintelligible) creatures known as the Vortigaunt. Where was Freeman now? Did he survive? Did he exist at all?

And then, the portal storms came. Forms of Xenian wildlife began to teleport themselves everywhere on the planet. Millions were decimated within the first month alone, and those who survived looked to the living legends of Black Mesa for guidance. Wallace Breen had offered them a simple, elegant solution that seemed to be working: mass all of the people of the world into the urban centers, under the safe protection of the world’s militaries. The world became safe once again, although Eli was uneasy about the procedure.

It had been something that the Vortigaunt had said when it began to grasp the English language, which had been remarkably quick. Since all Vortigaunts seemed to share a singular consciousness, once one was taught a word, all the others knew it as well. Eli had taken it upon himself to teach the particular Vortigaunt who had helped him escape from Black Mesa. The Vortigaunt had begun to follow Eli around soon after the incident, as if so used to the prospect of being enslaved, that it needed a master in order to have purpose. On this one day in particular, the Vortigaunt had violently seized Eli by the collar after a conversation with Breen.

“The Wallace Breen is Nihilanth. The Breen is Nihilanth!” the Vortigaunt choked. “He seeks secondary purpose! Shackles shall not remain broken! The Eli Vance must stop the Wallace Breen!”

That was two years ago, and never since had the Vortigaunt tried to lash out like that. Eli had not been able to deduce what, exactly, a Nihilanth was, but he had taken its words to heart. His trust of Wallace had never been strong to begin with… And yet here he was, traveling from city to city in the company of Breen and other Black Mesa survivors, speaking to governments and organizations on proper protection against the Xen wildlife. Eli could not exactly remember which city they were traveling to next, although it wouldn’t have mattered- all of these Eastern European supercities looked about the same to him by now.

Eli crossed the threshold into the dining car. Breen was sitting alone at a table, nursing a glass of scotch. Eli could tell immediately that something was weighing on his conscience like a ton of bricks.

People had always asked Clifford Mclean what it was like to be in Black Mesa, to which he had no response. He remembered very little about the incident, in fact- his job as the facility’s main gate security guard placed him in a favourable position to escape. Although, at first, the strange thing was, he didn’t escape- the situation simply did not seem as grave as it turned out to be. No, he didn’t begin to panic, until…

Cliff sighed, replaying a memory he had tried so many times to wipe clean from his mind. He rolled his hand over, looking again at the uneven scar tissue that lay near his wrist. It was too difficult to contemplate any further, he realized, shaking himself back to reality. It was only now that he noticed his name was being called.

“Cliff, what’s the deal? I said it was your move.”

He looked down at the checkerboard, its playing pieces shaking slowly to the movement of the train car, and then looked up at Barney, across the board. Cliff was losing. Badly. He had never been a terribly bright man, but he could typically hold his own, especially against a yahoo like Barney. He contemplated his next move, scratching the stubble underneath his bony chin. He could see his reflection in the mirror behind Barney- pensive, subdued, introverted. His shaggy, red hair obscured part of his woefully average facial musculature. He was hunched over the table, the result of a lifetime of slouching.

“King me.”

With those words, there was a flash of light outside the train, accompanied by a loud buzz that was overshadowed by the sound of the cars passing over the tracks. Barney peered out the window and frowned.

“Looks like another storm. Not exactly the best time to come into town.”

Barney was right- it was a portal storm. Ever since the storms had begun over five years ago, the wilderness outside the cities had become uninhabitable. Storms seemed to occur with greater frequency now and, despite the best efforts of defensive UN forces, each occurrence led to more casualties… Another portal crackled to life near a cluster of trees as the train passed by, unleashing from its bright void a series of grotesque creatures worse than even the most deformed of Vortigaunts. An armed soldier strode past Cliff’s chamber, seemingly off to protect an entrance to the train from the threat of an onboard teleport. Barney was right about coming into town, as well. The outer walls would be on lockdown once they arrived- no doubt they’d be the last arrival until the storm ended. This had not been the first time Cliff had traveled by train during a storm, but it was still quite unpleasant. He had learned that one’s best bet was to simply accept that storms would happen but that, as long as the train kept moving towards the city, they would be just fine.

And then, with a jolt, the train began to brake.

---
Today's chapter isn't as edited as the last one... I wanted to get it out the door before I went to bed, but I'll do some editing to it tomorrow. Hopefully soon the FanFiction.net account will activate so I can just post this as a link from now on. Chapter 2 coming real soon!

Back