new gabe interview

Originally posted by schweppes
Roach, the difference between the 9700 and 9800 is about a 5% loss for the 9700, and including the other stuff, that means you're fps will be about 44 :p

Gabe sent me an e-mail recommending the 9800 pro over the 9700. I'm going with his recommendation over yours.

the best thing I learned from the interview is that source engine is able to have dyanmice day night lighting, valve just didn't use it on hl2. I recommand brassmonkey to read the interview.

if they put dyanmic lighting on hl2, the system requirement will be so high that many of us are not able to affort.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
lol schweppes

Gabe didnt even mention RAM. If you have the spec he said and.....maybe 1024ddr i bet you could get 60.

RAM dose boost fps....alot. When i upgraded to 512 ram from 256 i also upgraded my BF1942 fps by 40...... :D

But if you now upgrade from 512 to 1024 you won't notice much difference.

So are you saying if I upgrade my 512MB to 2048MB of RAM my BF1942 will run at like 300FPS? No it won't.

After 512MB of RAM you will notice next to no improvement IN GAMES. This is just FACT you noobs.

Lets put it in simple terms shall we...

Let's say HL2 needs 256MB of memory to run. And you got 256MB of memory. But you see Windows XP uses heaps of memory aswell. So your HDD ends up thrashing like there is no tomorrow because the swap file is going bigger and bigger. So you decide to get another 256MB of memory. This in turns give your winxp 256MB to screw around with. And the your HL2 gets a full 25MB to do whatever with. Total is 512MB on board. But after playing HL2 and running windows with all your ICQ messages going crazy you still got 150MB free. Totally free no drama's. Now why on Earth would anyone need another 512MB? There is no need because you still got 150MB free memory. Get the picture?

[Hunter]Ridic, you're acting immature, don't make a fool out of yourself.

Kamakiri is absolutely right. That's just how it works, there's no denying that. The guy who commented on needing 1gb of ram for compiling maps, that I a could agree on, since such programs just use up a big load of ram in the compiling process.

Uhhh... I have my comp on almost 24/7 and i exit/enter games pretty often.

When i had 512mb of ram, windows and games started to run slow after about 5-6 game restarts (bf 1942, UT2003...). When i updated to 1024mb ram i can literally play all day, do whatever i want without a restart due to the comp slowing down... its also way faster then my oced 1700+ (oced to 2100mhz) wich uses 512mb ram.

Was there a difference in ram clock speed? Cause restarting those games 6 times in a row will of course fill up your ram nicely, but the difference is, slow ram will take longer to do the switch (overwriting unnecessary data in ram with the new necessary data). Trust me: closing a program will result in the memory that it used being released, so it's available for other progs.

MaxiKana, let me take a guess:
Are you still on Windows 98, Me, or earlier?

Sorry for calling people noob. I feel bad. :)

Us geeks love our computers and games. There is no denying that. But buying more RAM just for the sake of having a 'big number' in your PC would be a shame. People don't be those geeks that have the best of everything and show it off. I tell you something, more fool them because they waste good money on getting the best of the best and with PC's the way they degrade in value well...It's not wise.

If your upgrading for games only this is what I would do...

Get a above average video card. ATI 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro. This does the majority of the work in games. I have a ATI 9700 Pro.

For your CPU it's not that important for games. Get a good mid one. I got a good old 1.33Ghz AMD TB (get about a 2ghz). It's getting old now but I tell ya games run sweet full everything about resolution 1280x1024. Every game available. I'll be upgrading when the new AMD's come out.

RAM no less than 512MB ram.

When upgrading ALWAYS buy the best bang for buck.

i didnt say you would get a big boost of fps uping to 1024. However when you up to 512, it really dose help.

gamevoodoo: HL2 already has dynamic lighting. What was said in the interview is that the game doesn't move from day to night dynamically. e.g. The game can't start at sundown and then half way through the second map it gradually get darker and darker.

But it has dynamic lighting in the sense that if you shoot off that flare/incendiary gun we saw in the tunnels video, the pink light that that eminates will light up the environment in a realistic way, and will move dependant on the position of the flare/incendiary grenade in the air. Also like in that Doom 3 demo if a light fixture hanging from the ceiling was swaying around the light would move in a dynamic and realistic way. Or maybe if you shoot a lightbulb it will go out. etc. etc.

I liked the little qube around the flare in the barricade video it was cute and doom esqe

It was nothing to do with doom. As much as I like the idea of both of the games being released, I hate the fact that people compare them to each other. They are each their own game and both very different.

Back