new Half Life speed record

el Chi said:
Sorry, what? How does he bypass large sections of the levels?

there was the Gargantua level...he just ran past it and put two trip mines on the wall and just jumped over, skipping the entire level.

there was another time, can't remember now...i'm sure there are more to come up too..

watch it through, you'll see where he goes from 'level entrance' to 'level exit' in a matter of seconds.

I watched a couple of speedruns of the Resident Evil series yesterday. Quite interesting.

Dr.Spock said:
not girlfriends, better times on game levels! They said it takes 36hours to complete hl1. WRONG!

Yup. That's why I laugh when people are like "OMG THEY SAID HL2 WILL HAVE 40 HOURS OF PLAYTIME!" Yeah, if you take a 10-minute break in between each room, or purposefully go as slow as possible.

Yeah, if you don't take any of it in and just scream through it blindly and thus destroying the quality of the experience.
Sounds like fun to me.

Ah, so he's using the tripmine exploit.
That's how he did it so fast .........

I did laugh at the part with the portal to xen.
Scientist:You must not enter the portal until I say.
/Gordon nods

At first I was watching it... and thought, "Wow, this guy is pretty good..."

But then later on, He kept using exploits and it totally ruined it for me... What went through my head was "What an exploiter, no awards for this guy... why can't someone make a video of fastest time using *NO* exploits?"

So many exploits :x

It was entertaining, but I wished he would've done it without exploits.

Also, why does it seem to me that he's running/swimming way too fast? Have I really been away from half-life 1 'that' long? :x

PunisherUSA said:
Ahhhhh, reminds me of all the Quake-done-quicker videos. The only exploits used were rocket jumps and mad hopping skillz. Those required some skill.

The QDQ series is awesome. They rocket jump through everything.

Raziaar said:
Also, why does it seem to me that he's running/swimming way too fast? Have I really been away from half-life 1 'that' long? :x
That's what i was thinking. It may be converting difficulties.

But seriously, that guy must have NO life.

ShadowFox said:
The QDQ series is awesome. They rocket jump through everything.
Can anyone link us to a source for the QDQ flicks?

It was a fun watch. He showed me some stuff I never knew about. I laughed when he nodded to the scientist too. id have to do that like 1,000,000 times to get a time near that.

My classmate was in the QDQ scene, he got some records (dont know if they still are).

Anyone got a good mirror for the HLDQ movie on the first page? FP got massive lines and the archive.org mirror is only 40KB/s for me.

Raziaar said:
At first I was watching it... and thought, "Wow, this guy is pretty good..."

But then later on, He kept using exploits and it totally ruined it for me... What went through my head was "What an exploiter, no awards for this guy... why can't someone make a video of fastest time using *NO* exploits?"

Speedrunning is based on exploits. Every single exploit is exploited, used, abused and reused.

CptStern said:
45 minutes to complete the whole game :rolling: ...these guys need girlfriends. The previous record was about an hour (I think)

source

Thats a really old vid. My best time is like 1 hour 30 mins, half-life is a mid range game when it comes to length.

It's an interesting concept.

I knew someone at school who tried the Quake speed trials. totally sucked at it too...

Can't say I'd be interested in trying it but its nice to see different people gain different things outta the same game

has anyone seen the super mario bros. 3 speed run that's in the movies section on colleghumor.com? beats the game in like 11 min. although i guess he used an emulator to use slow motion and save states, but it's still pretty cool to watch. highly recommended that you go and check it out. the guy just makes a mockery of the better part of my childhood that i spent playing that game.

http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=26943

After seeing that movie, I'm seriously going to email valve not to include steriods for Gordon in HL2.

lans said:
After seeing that movie, I'm seriously going to email valve not to include steriods for Gordon in HL2.

LMFAO! AHAHHAHAH! :rolling: :LOL: :bounce:

Dedalus said:
heh, sig material :)

but it's only 15-20 minutes...just leave the window open and browse the forums a while ;)

i wonder if Pendragon will add this to his collection...

I wont ****ing wait, aarrrggghhh shit piss **** C unt, thats the point.

*shoots something VERY FAT and VERY UGLY on fileplanets server room*
Amen let them burn i hell.

45 minutes to complete the WHOLE game??!!?? Did he use cheats?

The_Monkey said:
45 minutes to complete the WHOLE game??!!?? Did he use cheats?

No he didnt. It takes practice and a lot of timing. My best time is 1:30

Pah...

How to complete HL in 8min - Load game, Load console, map c5a1...wait for G-Man to stop babbling.

Seriously, all the convo's and scripted sequences with door would have had to take a while or did they just skip them? I dont wanna download because i'll be tempted to try it myself.

I still still don't get this...just to walk thru the whole game without any enemies should take longer time! I mean, if I'm lucky, I wil finish the game in 40 hours...I wan't proof.

The_Monkey said:
I still still don't get this...just to walk thru the whole game without any enemies should take longer time! I mean, if I'm lucky, I wil finish the game in 40 hours...I wan't proof.

Download the vid, wow you want proof and its on the 1st post. Read before you post. Here ill make it easy for you lazy people. http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/halflife.html

40 hours damn dude you must really die to much :/

The game cant take anymore then 3 hours 30 mins. WITH DOING EVERYTHING AND LISTENING TO EVERYONE. I mean my 10 year old brother beat the game on hard in about 4 hours.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Download the vid, wow you want proof and its on the 1st post. Read before you post. Here ill make it easy for you lazy people. http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/halflife.html

40 hours damn dude you must really die to much :/

The game cant take anymore then 3 hours 30 mins. WITH DOING EVERYTHING AND LISTENING TO EVERYONE. I mean my 10 year old brother beat the game on hard in about 4 hours.

Yeah, I have read the first post, but I thought that the dl was something else...well, nevermind, i'm dl it now.

Wooo! That was totlly weird, but the jumped over all the beginning, all the elevators, and he found alot of shortcuts too, like in the beginning where you meet the Army for the first time, he just skiped it on a strange way...and another thing, what the hell was that Vortugan doing in the experiment room? It isn't there in my game game...

The_Monkey said:
Wooo! That was totlly weird, but the jumped over all the beginning, all the elevators, and he found alot of shortcuts too

What did you expect? someone could actually finish a 36 hour long game within 45 minutes without taking shortcuts? He'd be a saint on fire at best.

The_Monkey said:
Wooo! That was totlly weird, but the jumped over all the beginning, all the elevators, and he found alot of shortcuts too, like in the beginning where you meet the Army for the first time, he just skiped it on a strange way...and another thing, what the hell was that Vortugan doing in the experiment room? It isn't there in my game game...

He's always been there after you get teleported back. Since he skipped all the teleporting you got to see him spawn early.

i just noticed something, right at the start, when he is about to go into the room with the experiment, and he is waiting for the scientists to stop talking, everytime one of them speaks, he looks at the other one... could this mean that the video might be sped up just a tad, and the lipsync would look wierd if he was looking at them? this might explain why he seems to move a little bit faster... now, exploits is one thing, but this? ...

lans said:
What did you expect? someone could actually finish a 36 hour long game within 45 minutes without taking shortcuts? He'd be a saint on fire at best.

How can it take you 36s hours to beat the game. I beat it on hard doing everything no exploits no shortcuts in 1 hour 30 mins (about) My 10 year old brother beat it on hard and beat it in 3 hours 30 mins.

guchi said:
i just noticed something, right at the start, when he is about to go into the room with the experiment, and he is waiting for the scientists to stop talking, everytime one of them speaks, he looks at the other one... could this mean that the video might be sped up just a tad, and the lipsync would look wierd if he was looking at them? this might explain why he seems to move a little bit faster... now, exploits is one thing, but this? ...

It's a bug in the demo recorder that speeds up the lipsync and sometimes causes the values on the HUD to change to 0 and then back.

The video is sped up a little. I don't know whether it's caused by the demo recorder or by the guy who made the vid.

I like how this time the guy tried some new routes instead of taking the same ones from the original. What we need now is seperate speed runs for each level, killing all enemies and getting all items a la DOOM. No exploits either.

Back