New HDD and Performance

M

Mr_Kittles

Hey guys :afro:

I've been playing CS:S and HL2 Since the day it came out pretty much and its been great. Recently however though my Hard Drive failed (Was a Seagate SATA 120Gb) and I replaced it with a new Maxtor 120gb SATA with pratically similar specs.

When I used to play on my old HDD, my net graph would just be a straight green line but now it looks like this:

http://img213.echo.cx/my.php?image=screwey7mn.jpg

This happens online and in Bot games. Also I'ne noticed that sometimes when playing this or HL2 the fps seems to drop really low, and it gets really jumpy, but the screen still displays about 100fps. This only happens in certain areas as well, for example the puzzel with the ramp and blocks, as soon as I leave an area its fine again. The weird thing is, intensive areas such as water hazard are fine.

I really dont know weather its my new HDD causing the problem or something else. The rest of my setup is exactly the same as before, and all my ingame settings etc. remain unchanged. I also tried turning off all antivirus etc. and validated steam files.

Can someone please help?

Thanks In Advance

Mr_K

Is your harddrive fragmented, just for a start.

I see you mentioned its a sata drive.I have one as well and have to create a driver diskette(using the motherboard cd) before installing xp then load it in as the install does it basic checks.

mikey388 said:
I see you mentioned its a sata drive.I have one as well and have to create a driver diskette(using the motherboard cd) before installing xp then load it in as the install does it basic checks.

Without that driver disk you can't even install windows, so I doubt that that is his problem.

Thanks guys, and yes I had the up to date SATA drivers for my MOBO etc.

I will try defragging it now, whilst I go and pressure wash the garden for my dad...

Thanks for your tips :)

I just use the simple cl_showfps 1. It's a simple way to tell how well the game's running.

It's kinda weird, CS:Source's framerage goes only up to about 70 or 80 inside, but drops to around 40(or sometimes 30 :flame: ). But In Half Life 2, it stays around 70-100fps inside and from 40-70 fps outside. Graphical settings are set higher in HL2 as well.

Hey guys, thanks for your replys. Defragging had no effect and from what ive seen (net-graph and cl_showfps 2) the framerate stays normal. The only way to describe my "stutering" is like having loads od lag, its like how cs used to run on my 56k however in CS:S i now get a ping of like 30 and in HL2 im not connected to the net at all so its definalty not ping. Its weird as well because its only in certain areas and even when i reload etc. its still only in them areas.

Back