New High Poly Player Models

Ha. Love Cliffes little addition to the thread "Busted!"

Let's hope a BIG CSS update is coming in December, with 3 Player Models per team, More Weapons, and More Classic Maps.

looks like a different model... the dude has a walkie talkie?

Looks like an unoptimized version of the GSG9

if i had to guess, i would say thats just the LOD differences in the model.
b4 you ask, lod stands for level of display, and what it means is...
after modeling you character (or whatever floats your boat) you can create lower poly versions of the same model, and set these lower poly models to different levels of LOD. this tells the engine that as the model gets away from you (or you get away from it, as long as you and it get further and further apart), it uses different LOD so that far away models arent drawn with as many polys. (since its further, you dont need all the tiny details)

5parta

Its obviously 2 different models. Check at all the details of the model. They're in no way the same, even the helmet is different.

I think its just a teaser/easter egg for us to find to see one of the next upcomming models for CS:S.
-Alix

Hehe, nice reply from cliffe there :) Looks interesting though. Nice find.

Cool, looks like cs:s will actually look much better by the time hl2 releases.

mikademius is right, its "Level of Detail". I dont understand though why would they make one character model about 3k and another 5k? wouldn't they try to get all the character models to have about the same polycount?

operative x said:
mikademius is right, its "Level of Detail". I dont understand though why would they make one character model about 3k and another 5k? wouldn't they try to get all the character models to have about the same polycount?

What if the player models are all going to get updated...I mean...the models that are currently in CS:S are not much better than the ones from CZ, and to me, they look out-of-place in the maps. Maybe they kept back the models on purpose...i mena, there is no real detail at all to the models, and because they are dealt with client-side, you wouldn't think it was because of netcode...who knows, but Valve?

But of course, this should all be in the book. I think i finally understand why they have given few updates as to what is actively happening....the book.

Back