New HL2 Video(s) Discussion

Fender357

Reaction score
I thought I'd just start the thread, since it was going to happen anyway. We can talk about the IGN video and the E3 videos once those are out (hoping for tomorrow :thumbs: )

Here's my input.............in the IGN video....notice the part with Alex and Eli.....behind them you can see a Vaurtigaunt powering something.

Thats the first actual video showing them on your side in the game.
Super cool :)

what video? .. EDIT: NM that was pretty neat!

I don't believe this thread was justified because the other thread was directly related to the video..

There is 1 video out already (see the other topic), and it's awesome :E wantt morre (and binks! :F)

Holy shit, watch the video when Eli is on. It's an alien controller!

It's clearer when it's moving btw, the screen is just an indicator.

Edit: actually yeah, I guess that could be a vortigaunt. :eek:

Attachments

• Alien_Controller.png
    Alien_Controller.png
    26 KB · Views: 611
This thread is for that video and the ones that should be out very very soon.

If its really that bad to have started this thread then the admins can just lock it. Its no biggie.

Varsity said:
Holy shit, watch the video when Eli is on. It's an alien controller!

Thats not a controller. Thats a Vortigaunt (Alien Slave)

The Controllers were the ones with the big heads that flew around really high up.

Yeah, it just looked a little like it from just one side. ;)

Yeah, and the Vortigaunts are alot browner now. Not as green as in HL1.

notice the fact that the vortiguant is electrifying something...maybe this is how they are used - for power!

I think I herd they can charge your HEV suit for you.

I think thats very sweet of them :)

I thought the helicopter bit was awesome...swooping around coming to get you!

The strider in motion always looks god but the fact it doesn' know you're there so you have a sideways on view makes it even better, more 'natural'.

The helicopter wasn't too accurate but i'll forgive it.

The barrel thrown by another zombie hits the closer zombie and it gets hurt by that! looked good. The combine kicking the buring barrel also looks awesome.

Most of the video (I had the low res one) looked sort of jerky to me. Eli in particular seemed to be stiff and jerky: this happening to anyone else? Some pretty cool stuff, but short and quick cuts.

In the scene where Gordon walks in water, on the left side of hud there is some kind of progress bar for something.. Anyone know what this is?

edit arr left side not right side

the only jerkiness I saw was that train in the beginning... odd.

Too low quality to make out the text label: any IGN insiders want to comment?

The video actually looks amazing to me.

I did notice a tiny bit of slow down, but nothing major.

The zombie scene was great, watch the shadowing, perfect, obviously the static pictures are being somewhat misleading.

Woohoo, roll on another 12 hours for more E3 vids :p

SD

Wsh said:
In the scene where Gordon walks in water, on the left side of hud there is some kind of progress bar for something.. Anyone know what this is?

edit arr left side not right side

in the high res vid, it looks like it might say "aux power"

The slowdown as far as I can tell, is in the vid.

But look at the train moving thing: what the heck is going on at the very end when it looks like a whole nother car just pops into existence?

Apos said:
Most of the video (I had the low res one) looked sort of jerky to me. Eli in particular seemed to be stiff and jerky: this happening to anyone else? Some pretty cool stuff, but short and quick cuts.

yeah i noticed it too.
when the train moved.
when in the hallway with the combine soldier.
in the water a lil bit (after the bars)
eli jerked a tad when walking up to alyx
when he fires that rocket at the copter

maybe its just me tho ;x

Apos said:
The slowdown as far as I can tell, is in the vid.

But look at the train moving thing: what the heck is going on at the very end when it looks like a whole nother car just pops into existence?

noticed that too. gotta look in the very far back.

Hehe. Yeah your right Apos, that is strange.

I think that whole train bit may be an incomplete cut scene that they have included, because its jerky coming in, and then a carriage appears up front....

Eli seems to have aged considerably since the annoucement of the game and E3 04 (check out the white hair!)

I liked the zombie kicking the barrel and it hitting another zombie before it hit you, the water for both small stretches and big ones seems to be just right, and the sound when the helicopter 'bullets' whizz past you is ace!

is it me or did the bars in the water have no reflection at all?
and on the train there were no shadows by the passengers walking, or under the train itself.

but maybe again ...this is just me :(

Maybe Valve still uses the traincode from HL for the train? ;)

It looks great btw, but what the hell is that chopper firing at you? Are those all bullets? Then you'd think you would stand no chance of beating him.

I love the animations of the soldier walking down the street and the other banging on the door.

But I assume this is like last year's E3 trailer right? Just a small teaser before the big ones.

Perhaps it is just a small collection of shorts from the full e3 demo?

these lags where also in the 2003 e3 vids (e.g the bugbait part)
but this was because of the video compression...
ther are no slow-downs or lags in the bugbait bink...

So, any IGN Insiders willing to upload the hires vid to me so I can host?

About the water and the bars, i think if you were that low in the water in real life you wouldn't see any reflection. But in the next scene the red building are is reflected, so the water still does do that, it just conforms to real life :D

Also, I thought it was a bit odd how the scanner lights the train/ground in the second scene with the passengers. Anyone else notice something wrong with it? It's as if when the scanner's light hits an object, the whole object is suddenly lit.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I saw the water reflecting those bars. Have to check it again.

can't say i did notice that...maybe you have a different film.

I think the USP is the best sounding/looking pistol ever! It just sounds so nice!

fuzzy_aus said:
Perhaps it is just a small collection of shorts from the full e3 demo?

Last years trailer wasn't. In fact, the trailer from last year looked rubbished compared to the E3 videos.

any ideas about when we can expect the first HL proper demonstration video to be shown?

Did anyone notice a list of weapon in the arsenal is shown at the heli fighting scene>

Last years trailer wasn't. In fact, the trailer from last year looked rubbished compared to the E3 videos.

Yeah, major difference you can see is in the tunnels clip. In the teaser, the rocks and stuff on the floor and in the water are all polygonal and pointy and look like junk, and there are no splash effects. In the e3 video, the room has been redesigned to look much smoother and nicer, and the splash effects are boss.

Back