New HL2 Video(s) Discussion

Yep, some think it's from the video that this site is hosting.

the train pop is the change from lit to shadow, like every other model walking through shadows in the video, it's ugly.

It was silly to host the video, when there were already plenty of fast mirrors.

I agree with the shadow problem. I hope that they will fix it, I couldn't stand a good game such as HL2 have a so small but annoying problem.

I agree with the shadow problem. I hope that they will fix it, I couldn't stand a good game such as HL2 have a so small but annoying problem.

When I click on the link to the hi-res video, it opens WMP, but there's no video. Does anyone know what format / codec this is? Help a fan going insane, please! :)

i don't know if I'd call that a problem, so much as a limitation of the lightmap technology Valve is using for HL2. I wouldn't mind at all, so long as the game is good.

you have to understand that static lightmaps like that work to improve performance a lot. they are a big performance boost at the cost of a minor reduction of visual quality.

kelfar said:
When I click on the link to the hi-res video, it opens WMP, but there's no video. Does anyone know what format / codec this is? Help a fan going insane, please! :)

It's divx. the latest (5.1.1) seems to work fine.

I think the problem with the lighting in the video is that things just suddenly pop from bright to dark. There is no fading at all so it's really jarring to the eye. Perhaps the lighting detail was on ultra low settings or something. We don't know enough about the video so we can only guess.

It looks to me like the bars in the water are actaually above the water. They may reflect, we just can't see the reflection because we are too close to them. The problem is actually in the very next scene. there is a large water tower on top of a hill that is very obvioulsy NOT reflected in the water below it, even though the hill and the house next to it are reflected.

OH MAN I just saw the ATI vid and

I LL BE DAM DAM DAM. this is sick. Awsome

That new vid was stunning indeed.. The Closeup of the G-man, the hanging lower body, the sawblades, the vortigaunt, the remodelled C17, ofcourse the remade Aztec (CS)...everything. Just... wow. Can't wait to see it in full res.

Gabe Newell: "one of the big questions is: what about multiplayer? And so we decided to combine the most popular online action game with the power of the Half-Llife 2 enginge."

This may or may not mean that CS is HL2's multiplayer. It's probably one of HL2's multiplayer OPTIONS.

This game is awsome,

I must say this can Kill STALKER and Any other game except UT3.0 engine.

But the point is now what is the real MP ??? is it CS or HL2 got its own MP ???

Back