New info VERY interesting! Plz read.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Newell is already thinking about where Valve goes next. One thing is for sure: The company won't embark on another five-year project anytime soon. "We need to do smaller and shorter projects at first to avoid burnout," he says. On that note, one cabal has already started work on what Newell refers to as the "ATI levels," a series of single-player levels that will require a super-high-end graphics card to run. Valve hopes to release those over Steam later this year. Newell is hoping that the other cabals will move on to creating episodic single-player content that will be released in chunks over Steam. One tentative plan calls for Valve to start developing an episodic game that lets players assume the role of Alyx Vance. "I'd love to play a game that tells the story of Alyx and Doc, her pet Robot," Newell says.

Now the part in that paragraph that made me start giggling, jumping up and down and got me so hyped i couldnt take the feeling in my stomach anymore.

(Newell refers to as the "ATI levels," a series of single-player levels that will require a super-high-end graphics card to run.)

That is like extremely insanely exciting for me. You guys have like no idea how crazy this is. Its these little extra things that make me want the game even more.

Far Cry had so many options that they really didnt need to add that i liked about it. Like all the render modes. Doom 3 had the ultra gfx setting and now Half-Life 2 has these super insane levels . Doesnt that make you guys crazy hyped? Just something i thought i should share with the Half-Life 2 community. :)

Not really seeing as i don't currently have God's computer to play them on...

I will have a good enough computer to do that by Christmas!

It's not too far off... Month and a half.. :)

DigitalAssassin said:
Cheap marketing technique. It's going to be a playable 3D Mark 2005.

You know what this was a mistake. I thought you people would get over your childish flames. I bet your saying that because you cant afford a new top of the line pc. Whatever keep thinking what you like.

some people just take pleasure in being pessimistic... they think that by being extremely cynical they are automatically some sort of intellectual elite.

Raziel-Jcd said:
I bet your saying that because you cant afford a new top of the line pc. .
Think about it, hl2 is supposed to be highly scalable right? Why in the hell would they make it that you can only play these on high end level cards? Valve said they were making hl2 highly scalable so people who dont have the cash for the high dollar cards can play, yet they are planning on releasing levels after people have bought the game that requires them? Doesnt make any sense.
Very cheap valve.

why did he have a call them "ati levels"? what if someone has an ATi radeon 5200 or something like that. going to run better than a geforce 6800? haha....

it should be free, or you're just paying for advertising.

Wesisapie said:
why did he have a call them "ati levels"? what if someone has an ATi radeon 5200 or something like that. going to run better than a geforce 6800? haha....

it should be free, or you're just paying for advertising.

they are called the ATI levels bcos they have to make them as part of the ATI sponsorship deal, duh

ATI care only that the x800XT runs them better than the 6800Ultra.

mchammer75040 said:
Think about it, hl2 is supposed to be highly scalable right? Why in the hell would they make it that you can only play these on high end level cards? Valve said they were making hl2 highly scalable so people who dont have the cash for the high dollar cards can play, yet they are planning on releasing levels after people have bought the game that requires them? Doesnt make any sense.
Very cheap valve.

WOw you dont understand. Can you play Unreal 3.0 engine levels on your pc now? There are tech demos are i can assure you are super fun but no one is able to run them. This is simple the same thing. THey are giving you the extra levels if you can play them good if you cant shut your mouth and flame valve for being cheap in your head. Then go back to your bed thinking whatever i dont need those levels anyway. When you know the truth is you want to play them so badly but your useing all this valve is cheap crap as a scapegoat that you really cant afford a comp like that.

does this mean ,it requires card that is better than x800xt. if so,,..
ahhhh OTL

When I read about that, I was excited too. Can't wait for the ATI levels. They don't owe you anything else but half-life 2, so don't bitch about additional free content please!

Raziel-Jcd said:
WOw you dont understand. Can you play Unreal 3.0 engine levels on your pc now? There are tech demos are i can assure you are super fun but no one is able to run them. This is simple the same thing. THey are giving you the extra levels if you can play them good if you cant shut your mouth and flame valve for being cheap in your head. Then go back to your bed thinking whatever i dont need those levels anyway. When you know the truth is you want to play them so badly but your useing all this valve is cheap crap as a scapegoat that you really cant afford a comp like that.
Dont get pissy now, Im not using valve as a scapegoat. I have no problem with them making new levels that take advantage of the new features of new graphics cards, but making it only for high end cards when the game is meant to be very scalable is bullshit in my opinion. Your right I dont have the money for that computer and Im not willing to put down the money for it either.

stop speculating about hardware requirements.
no-one knows anything yet except that they will be designed to show ATI hardware in the best light.
but if the nvidia dx9 implementation improves with further driver releases, ATI may want the levels delayed until it's newer cards arrive.
nothing would be more emabrrassing than NV cards getting better benchmarks in the "ATI levels"

Raziel-Jcd said:

I think i agree with you...

Is your first language English? Because if it is it would be nice if you could read over your post before you submit it and make sure it is readable. thx :)

deltree said:
stop speculating about hardware requirements.
no-one knows anything yet except that they will be designed to show ATI hardware in the best light.
but if the nvidia dx9 implementation improves with further driver releases, ATI may want the levels delayed until it's newer cards arrive.
nothing would be more emabrrassing than NV cards getting better benchmarks in the "ATI levels"

Re-read OP:
"..that note, one cabal has already started work on what Newell refers to as the "ATI levels," a series of single-player levels that will require a super-high-end graphics card to run"

I would laugh my ass off if that happened..my personal choice..Nvidia..I don't even know why...

something about ATI just rubs me the wrong way..maybe its all the shit talking done by ATI owners..

CS:S benches anyone?;)j/k

whatever..to each their own..my only concern is if these ATI levels will be playable on Nvidia cards..

probably,just not as "perfect"..

yea another thread we already have!

oh and no a 9800pro is not high end any more. It was a year ago but not now.

Prince of China said:
What an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB 256-Bit card be considered high-end?

High end is ATI x800 Xt and 6800 ultra/Gt

Idonotbelonghere said:
I think i agree with you...

Is your first language English? Because if it is it would be nice if you could read over your post before you submit it and make sure it is readable. thx :)

Wow now that i re-read my post. I made so many typos. Anyway i was pissed off and that guys comment type something out very fast and left to make my map.

Yay.. levels that most of the people who buy the game won't be able to play! Yahoo!

The added Alyx chapters spark my interest more.

I would care if I had a highend graphics card.

Seeing as I don't, meh.

I thought of that too, but then i wondered if that's part of a deal they made with ATI due to the huuuuuge publicity stunt snafu that was the Alcatraz island press junket and tie-in with the 9800Pro.

I wonder if ATI is holding Gabe's feet to the fire to produce supplemental material that enhances or otherwise endorse one particular product over another (x800 over a 6800Ultra, for exampe).

I wonder if the "ATI levels" are written to take advantage of certain ATI infrastructure or software implementation that nVidia would need to massively update their drivers to take advantage of, taking time and thus pushing sales to ATI.

Or, i could just be a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

seems like they would have SOME scalability.. i mean, are they going to black out the video options?? i wouldn't worry about it.. it's all icing!

Neutrino said:
I would care if I had a highend graphics card.

Seeing as I don't, meh.

There is no one stopping you from downloading it, just because it's meant for high-end.

Doom 3 looks pretty, even if it runs on someone's Ti4200 at 25 fps. I know many people who can bear with this - just to see pretty graphics.

I think the levels will be made for the X800 chipset.

In all honesty I don't think this is neccessarily a bad thing.

If they optimize the levels for a single card, then you obviously wouldn't need to adjust the settings, yet they'd run great and look good.

Do you need to have Video settings on a Gamecube/PS2* game? No, it's been specifically made for those systems.

Well if you specifically make the game for that card then you get a similiar affect. The only difference is that Everyone has a different Processor/Ram/Mobo but standardizing a level to a specific card is a start.

And this is also a chance for valve to fulfil their obligation to ATI after that deal they made. Not everything is done for the bussiness, eh.

i say we steal all the high end users comps and put shaveing cream on thare faces

edit

THIS IS TOTALL ******** :bonce:

There really is no reason the levels would not be designed in a way so high and low level cards perform well.

I could see Valve putting in some ATi only features (like extensive 3Dc), but there is no reason why the 6800 series would not run these w/o this feature. I could see them maybe trying to use Geometry Instancing (R3xx series and R4xx, and NV4x series which has it part of the SM 3.0 feature set). SM 3.0 support would be great also.

Btw, there have been rumblings that the ATi refreshes will hit in December and their R520 will hit in late spring/summer. On Beyond3d some of the guys in the know are saying the R520 is a SM 3.0+ part and it will begin the trend toward unifeid shaders (which is SM 4.0 and a WGF aka DX10 feature).

Anyhow, as lonmg as my 6800GT runs stuff I will be happy :)

I hope they make a HL2 addon to push the story forward also. I would have to wait 5 years for another HL! I can wait for HL3, but maybe use the engine for some great side stories and stuff that went on inbetween...

Back