new memory; artifacts

Xenome

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just bought some new memory: 2x512 twinmos dual channel kit/pc-3200

It's working great, and i have great performance.
Even far cry loads in a few seconds

But now I have a problem: in some area's in far cry, I get some sorts of artifacts, and mostly on the same places in a map.
When i just started the map they are not there, but after some playing, suddenly they are there. It's not very noticable, and I only have it on outside area's , not indoors.
I didn't have this with my old memory (2x256 twinmos dual channel kit),
so i figured this must be a problem with my memory.

I also have some little graphical issues in vice city, (like textures not appearing well), but it could be that i also had this with my old memory.

How do I solve this?
Is it a heat problem maybe? I don't think I can send the memory back to replace it with other twinmos 2x512 ram, because it's working fine..besides the artifacts.

My system:
p4p800
2.8 ghz, 800 fsb
ati radeon 9700 pro
2x512 twinmos pc-3200 dual channel kit

My first thought was heat.
Your system memory shouldn't effect graphics though.
Maybe your card's memory is over heating because of the extra modules.
You have enough air flow?
Another thing.
Are you using AA/AF, enabled in the display properties, at all?

I'm not using AA/AF, and i have changed nothing, compared to how it was with my old memory.

even if it is overheating, it would be strange because i have two sticks of ram, just like i did before, only now one stick is 512 mb, and not 256.
Could they generate more heat..?

What i find strange, is that i dont notice the artifacts when i start playing.
After a while i get them. And i just played a game(far cry), where i only noticed it once.

Also i think heat shouldn't be a problem: I have a zalman 7000a-cu cooler, or whatever it is called :D It's the 0.7 kilogram one.

Everything inside the case is exactly the same as it was before, except new memory.

( btw my temp monitors are saying that my MB is hotter then my cpu. Could this indicate that there is something wrong with my temp sensors?

MB: 34
cpu: 30

Any of your case fans stop working?

I really don't know why you would be getting artifacts ingame because of system memory.
RMA em back if ya need.

is your video card OC'ed? is a case fna dead? is the vid fan dead?

1) Make sure your new RAM sticks are firmly in place
2) You have the heat spreaders on the RAM sticks right?
3) Make sure your motherboard officially supports the RAM sticks you bought. My motherboard A7N8X-D is very picky about which RAM it likes, yours could be the same.
4) Try lowering the CAS settings and the speed of the memory a bit.

blahblahblah said:
I'm sure you mean increasing or upping the CAS settings rather than lowering/tightening.

My vid card isn't overclocked.

blahblahblah said:
1) Make sure your new RAM sticks are firmly in place
2) You have the heat spreaders on the RAM sticks right?
3) Make sure your motherboard officially supports the RAM sticks you bought. My motherboard A7N8X-D is very picky about which RAM it likes, yours could be the same.

1. They are.
2. I don't know if they have heatspreaders, and i shouldn't build them upon the memory myself right? :p
3. It supports twinmos.
4. They are on standard settings.

---

next thing ill try is setting performance mode in bios to standard, and memory acceleration mode to enabled. (now it's the other way around, and they can't be enabled at the same time).

Okay, ive set performance mode to auto, and memory acceleration mode to disabled: NO ARTIFACTS :D

one big problem: My 3dmark01se score drops from 15900 to 15331, wich is unacceptable for me.

When i set performance mode from standard to auto, and memory acceleration mode from disabled to enabled, i also get artifacts..

/me cries :S

--
I do not have artifacts in 3dmark01se or 3dmark03, so it could be a far cry issue..i gotta try some other games.
Still strange that i didn't have this artifacts with my old memory, in far cry.

what kind of artifacts, im getting bad shadows on the rocks. they disapear when i set lighting to min but that means no 2.0. any one know how to fix this

Update:

I've cleaned my 3dcard cooler, there was alot of dust.
Also ive set my memory timings to 2.5-3-3-8, instead of 2.5-3-3-7.

( strangely cpu-z reads it as 2.5-3-3-6)

Now i havent seen any artifacts at all, after a long 'search' :D

Back