New Mod, Looking for a team.

Sathernut

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im trying to get this mod off the ground. Ok heres the concept:

This mod isnt a Fully blown Total Conversion, because Im not sure if that is a realistic goal to look at.

The is a DeathMatch type game but with a lot more fun. Im not looking at realism here, lol. Each team will start at either end of the map. There is a central point in the map the a team needs to control. You control that point if your the first people in there. Even if the other teams rushes in there after you get in there you still control it, it doesnt become neutral. Only after they have killed you all or got you all out of it whilst they are in there, then they control it. Its a pretty simple concept and it isnt that new but a few gameplay additions should make this a very enjoyable game.

Firstly everyone starts with two weapons. The first is their primary weapon. It looks like a crossbow, except that it launches saw-blades instead of arrows. The weapons alternate fire is a shield which covers the front of the weapon, enabling you to deflect saw-blades launched at you. Im still yet to choose if the player will have unlimited ammo or a limited ammount. This is long range but the only downfall is that others have time to equip their sawblade launcher and deflect your ammo. But deflecting wont be that easy as the saw-blades will still travel quite fast.

The next weapon, at first just looks like a handle (about 1 foot long). But when its primary fire is used it launches an extremely quick and leathal prodding device that extends about 2 feet to 3. The downfall to this weapon is it only has a range of around 2-4 foot and does not have any shield. It will probably kill in 1 hit or 2. Shields cannot stop this weapon.

Each team will have a Super Weapon (SW) situated near their base, which one player can make use of. These will be a Minigun and a Rocket Launcher. (remembering that the saw-blade launches can still deflect these if they get the right spot). If a team member using your teams SW dies, the other team can pick it up and use it against you.

The maps will feature a wacky/fun kind of level design but will also be very tactical allowing for good tactics and good teamwork. When you are killed you respawn in your base area after around 2-4 seconds. Your weapons are not dropped behind they are reset so that there wont be too much stuff lying around lagging out the server. I should Also mention that your weapons can be dropped so that you can carry SW's.

Ok thats the basic gameplay structure set out. Heres the team members we are looking for.

Gun Modeler
Needs to be quite adept at creating weapon models, although only around 4 models will need to be created which each not being too complex. Would like a few examples of work. Should also be able to animate etc...

Coder Required
Must be able to code using the Source engine. Example work would be great but not completely needed. Will need to code a few things including some of the gameplay mechanics and other stuff.

Thats mostly all for now, as this isnt a massive large scale mod. But in the future would also need a skinner, sound technician and a player modeler. Also any mappers wanting to help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I will be doing a lot of the mapping and drawing up most of the weapon concepts and will also be ther webmaster. Also the mod is up for change so this is not the final scheme. Dont think you have to enter the mod and make it exactly this way. A have been looking at a couple of names so far but wont confirm a name until I have a team and we discuss it.

These ideas are Copyright (c) 2005, Nicholas O'Halloran. Please, dont rip it!

Sathernut said:
Hi guys, Im trying to get this mod off the ground.

The is a DeathMatch type game but with a lot more fun. Im not looking at realism here, lol. Each team will start at either end of the map. There is a central point in the map the a team needs to control. You control that point if your the first people in there. Even if the other teams rushes in there after you get in there you still control it, it doesnt become neutral. Only after they have killed you all or got you all out of it whilst they are in there, then they control it. Its a pretty simple concept and it isnt that new but a few gameplay additions should make this a very enjoyable game.
[/B]

this first part kinda sounds like traps but as you go down theres a huge difference lol hahha good luck

Oh, lol. Havent actually read about the storyline to your mod yet, but thanks for the comment.

Yorick said:
It's called "King of the Hill".

Haha, thanks. Im twisting it a bit though theres a little bit more to it but Im only telling that to people interested in joining the team.

SixThree said:
Hi Yorick!

Stop stalking me. I mean it. :p

Sathernut said:
Haha, thanks. Im twisting it a bit though theres a little bit more to it but Im only telling that to people interested in joining the team.

Oh, good. I was worried it was just a total rehash. Good luck! :thumbs:

Yeah thats cause you dont know the other bit of gameplay I havent added in. ;)

why didnt u add that part of game play in then.. ._. u.......... MUPPET

Nah its added in but I just havent let you guys know. And could you keep this on topic. Im looking at recruiting a few people so please only post if its relevant. Thanks!

you'll find it much easier to recruit people if you tell people what you plan to actually do, and not just say a little bit of what you have. For a new mod, you have to sell yourself, and you can't do that while you hide the goods so to speak :D

thats where most mods go wrong imo.

it's all very well having hidden material from the public, it's almost a must, so u can surprise some ppl later on, but if you have no one to surprise, why hide it. It's a fine line between what you should and should not reveal, but pretty much should tell people 95% of what you plan, and can always add to your hidden stuff later on once you have a team working.

gl thou in your endevers

Ok obviously I cannot recruit without telling everything, so heres the goods.

This is a deathmatch type game but with objectives. So it doesnt have a rounds system like counter-strike. Holding the control point is neccessary to winning the map. Points will accumulate every second that you hold it, and the team with the most points at end of round wins.

That said, once you have control of the control point, you can invade your enemies base and get to their control room, and turn on turrets for the control point. So this will aid you in the capture and control of the control point. In turn, the opposing team can invade your base and turn OFF the turrets. You can then invade it more easily, capture it and go to their base AGAIN and turn on the turrets FOR YOUR TEAM. Remember that you do this while still maintaining control of the control point because at any time the other team can still capture it by killing all the other team that are in the control point. Capturing the turrets is not a MUST but it aids in the control of the controlpoint. IF the other team does manage to invade the CONTROL POINT while the turrets on against them and they wipe out all opposing team members in the control point, the turrets will be turned off.
They can then invade enemy team base and turn them on.

OK, i know this all sounds a bit complex but in the overall scheme of things it is VERY simple. Start the map, get to the controlpoint (CP) and hold it for as long as you can. You also have the option of invading the enemies base and turning on the CP's turrets to aid you.

There, simple. I hope! We are STILL looking for people to JOIN the team.

Remeber, THIS AINT NO BIG ARSE JOB or anything. There are 4 weapons to be modeled, a few PROPS and a bit of coding. It isnt a MASSIVE task.

*****UPDATE******

The mod will now include POWERUPS of certain types. There will be 3 powerups and they will all be unique. This will give the mod a more fun and enjoyable gameplay.

AND REMEMBER, the mod is only in its early planning stages ALTERATIONS and ADDITIONS (ie more weapons, grenades) can still happen. So if your interested, join the team!

We are still recruiting so if anyone is interested please PM me or reply here.

you say it isnt a massive task but yet from the sounds of it it will be a hefty job on the coder. i could help you out with some models if you want.

Holy Moly that'd be grand! Im drawing up some Concepts for the weapons and if your still interested Ill give you a look and you can decide whether your still up for it. Most of the weapons arent that complex so it shouldnt be a massive task for someone as professional as you!! Of course all the credits will go to you and stuff.

/sucking up

sounds pretty much like some custom maps you can get for TFC, thou more king of the hill based rather than capture the flag.

for your turrets, i think there should be like a timer for them, so it's more like a quick bonus than something you switch on, after all, to get a good flow going, turrets need to switch on and off, so they can't be destroyed, if you get my meaning. Also, you could have team based movable turrets, like in that prison level on hl2.

sounds better anyway :) with the bigger description. I'm just to busy myself atm to help out.

Nagash said:
I'm just to busy myself atm to help out.
Damn, well if you ever get un-busy.... lol

And for the timed turrets, thats a great thought and one I honestly hadnt thought of! Thanks I might consider it! And also, this will be quite different to TFC! ;)

well if your actually gonna make a mod, i'm sure this won't be the last help wanted thread you make, and i'll see it later down the line ;)

Back