New motherboard?

Kristafon

Reaction score
I opend up my new computer to find to my upmost horror it only has 2 PCI slots (not including AGP) and 2 RAM slots. Im worried that having what must be such a cheap motherboard is slowing my computer down and become unstable. Should I replace?

You are paranoid. If you need more than 2 PCI slots, you have a problem. Most motherboards chipsets actually hate it (through stability issues and reduced performance issues) if you put RAM in more than 2 slots as well.

You are fine.

[Edit]: Contray to what you think, motherboards don't effect performance that much. Let me dig up some benchmarks.

[Edit 2]: This is comparing multiple motherboards across multiple platforms, so beware

Some more benchmarks

If you really want to spend $100 or more on a motherboard upgrade for an additional 2 frames per second, be my guest. But I don't think it is worth the additional cost.

its probably a micro atx mobo, nothing to be worried about.

Is it a dell/hp/compaq/gateway etc?
If so its probaly micro/mini/tiny/small/microscopic. Could be worse, you could own a tandy.

as for upgrading, Upgrading can be a big improvement, and it can also be little or no imporvement.
I'd stick with your current board, untill you run into a problem.

and Blah Blah, I use all 5 of my PCI slots, and my computer just loves it :)

Gunsnroses said:
Is it a dell/hp/compaq/gateway etc?
If so its probaly micro/mini/tiny/small/microscopic. Could be worse, you could own a tandy.

as for upgrading, Upgrading can be a big improvement, and it can also be little or no imporvement.
I'd stick with your current board, untill you run into a problem.

and Blah Blah, I use all 5 of my PCI slots, and my computer just loves it :)

I mis-worded that post. I meant that motherboard don't like to have all their RAM slots used.

If you buy a decent motherboard, I can't imagine what you use all your PCI slots for. I have a full ATX case where I use the rear panels for various things (additional USB connectors through the motherboard), but nothing that uses a PCI card.

Well, I Lied, I use 4 of my 5, the 5th has a pci fan card in it, to cool video card lol.

I've got 1 ethernet card, a tv tuner, and a wireless ethernet card, and a 56k

Lol also use 2 onboard ethernets.

I'm basicly the gateway to the internet, for my family, and friends.

Back