new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. DX9 pictures, pc gamer

cadaver

Reaction score
update! new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. DX9 Video

The British branch of THQ reports: "This month's PC Gamer Magazine will be a godsend for those keenly following the progress of FPS sensation S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. [...] Meanwhile, fresh from the cover disc, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fans are treated to the incredible trailer that made its debut at the Game developer's Conference earlier this year. If you thought GSC Gameworlds' proprietary X-Ray engine was already something special, wait until you see a classic S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fire-fight rendered with full DX9 support.

PC Gamer is on news-stands now."

Somebody seems to have posted some video captures from the latest trailer that he got in the latest issue of the PC Gamer. Go, check them out!

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum...&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=2#Post5181293

update! VIDEO and source here: http://stalker.myexp.de/en/index.php

The developers' comment:

"The DX9 renderer is shown in all its beauty (although in the future we will show this functioning in full outdoors and in daytime). Lighting is all dynamic – even each blade of grass casts a shadow from any light source.

Combat AI is demonstrated - team actions, accurate reactions from the sounds of characters other beings, accurate reactions from the grenades as well as the AI ability to evade gun-fire and grenades, camping skills as well as ambush and group attack."

Looks great....not a chance in hell my PC will be able to run it :(

w0ot!!! it exceeded my expectation. :D wow excellent game

Hmm, looks like they updated some of the player and monster models.

They have definitely enhanced all the models. If you go back to issue 145 of PCGUK and then compare the shots in there to the shots on that site.....I mean wow...

They have'nt updated the models, every picture/movie released has been in DX8, except for these and wow does it look amazingly amazing :D. Can't wait for this game.

It seems it might be 2006+, according to a statement on the British THQ website that's the new expected release, I'm beginning to feel like calling this vaporware, I've been following it since it was first announced, I'm beginning to think when it finally releases it won't be that awesome anymore.

If there's anything worse than having a computer unable to run a game, it's having a brand new computer unable to play a game. My parents probably won't upgrade it for another 5 years. I hate my X300.

Can't wait till December

The game really looks great and have a lot of fun and herror moments

weskerQ8, seems December won't cut it sadly.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl:

Developed by GSC Gameworld, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a survival first-person shooter (FPS) that takes place in the "Exclusion Zone" of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Utilizing GSC's proprietary X-Ray engine, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s Life Simulation System creates a living, adaptive world that provides a unique experience to each player with random generations of events and tasks. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is scheduled to release in 2006.

From the UK THQ site.

Note the 2006 in the end.

We can only hope for an early 2k6 release, or game will get pwned graphic wise by all the UE3 games.

Albeit THQ might be wrong I doubt it.*Sigh*

While it may be technically a lot better, it has lost some of its atmosphere in my opinion. All shadows are now harsh and too defined (even though they're soft shadow maps) which will look fantastic indoors but outdoors kinda meh. Shadows like that only occur on a bright sunny day and indoors, which isn't really the atmosphere I've been seeing throughout this game. Also, the normalmapping is way too obvious, eventhough they greatly enhance the crappy old models.

This screen is for example way off. A cloudy gray sky, and shadows like it's a bright sunny day? Again, this dynamic lighting is only good indoors so far, as there you have nice multiple lights, casting different shadows from different directions which looks awesome, but outdoors there is only 1 light really, and that doesn't cast shadows like that, but scatters a lot more. Which is where the old lightmaps would fit nicely. I used to like the dynamic lighting indoors/lighmaps outdoors approach of Stalker, as opposed to HL2 and Doom 3 which sought the extremes of both solutions (HL2 fully lightmaps, Doom 3 fully dynamic).

Still looks great though.

Seen the trailer already, makes the Doom3 and Source engine look like shite

Harryz said:
Its still downloading, but I assume so, since it was released today.
ok, getting a fabulous 44kb/s :dozey: :smoking:

DEATH eVADER said:
Seen the trailer already, makes the Doom3 and Source engine look like shite

really? cool.

Okay, the trailer was sweet. You can see the work thats has been put into the game regardless of the delays. Its shaping up to look really nice. Can't wait for it.

sh*t that trailer was awesome, the dx9 render looks amazing and to think that the whole gameworld will look like this :eek: , the ai seemed good too, like that part where 1 stalker caught our guy off guard at the entrance and then ran off somewhere, the bloodsucker was in the trailer at the start and was dubbed 'the toughest enemy' but where was he after that, the anomaly looked good too, the bit with those rats was freaky he spots 1 and shoots at it but misses then the rat thing runs off and gets a whole swarm of them to attack him. awesome trailer. shame it looked like it was running at 15fps.

Wait wait! They were speaking THEIR OWN LANGUAGE in a foreign country!? What fresh kind of madness is this where foreigners don't speak English with American accents?
Frankly, I'm freakin' out.

The gameplay looked like it might be a wee bit clunky, but it did look cool, so I'm not gonna slate it yet. Not even a little bit :)

just if you're wondering they were the military who came in and killed those stalkers at the start, then 'our' stalker comes and kills them.

The video is on gamershell.com

http://gamershell.com/news/22074.html

wow, its full of details, and by the way did you notice the AI... smart ****ers.

they hide and change places like real humans, excellent. 5/5 stars No less

the sound still need to be tweakd,

Awesome. Personally I couldn't care less what the final graphics look like. I hope they can pull off the rest of it. The AI and RPG elements really sound cool.

It looks okay, btw this game isnt that hard to run because only places you can see get rendered unlike in HL²

the ai was impressive, i loved how when that guy was sniped the other 2 ran to the nearest cover ie:the doorways to hide, then 1 shot at our stalker while moving to another doorway, excellent.

SearanoX said:
(alonside DNF, no doubt).

By then we'll have done away with ancient keyboards, mice and monitors and we'll have the images beamed directly into our brains, controlling games through thought.

jimbo118 said:
the ai was impressive, i loved how when that guy was sniped the other 2 ran to the nearest cover ie:the doorways to hide, then 1 shot at our stalker while moving to another doorway, excellent.

jimbo, the guy was sniped, ( he didn't die, if you look closer at the vid, he looks up and see the light of the stalker so he runs away to the room).... so cool

THE bots can see, smell and hear :D

If the bots literally can see I find it odd that they can't find you using shadows, in an interview the devs were asked if it was possible to make it so the AI can detect your shadow and the devs said it's impossible(I've seen it pulled off in games tho so that can't be true...), that's kinda sad as that'd really add a new element inside buildings and such, so you couldn't really stand at a corner and just wait for'em to come walking by, they could notice your shadow cast on the floor.

Gorgon said:
jimbo, the guy was sniped, ( he didn't die, if you look closer at the vid, he looks up and see the light of the stalker so he runs away to the room).... so cool

THE bots can see, smell and hear :D
yeah i know he was sniped thats what i said, did he not die then?, lol, ok.

This game doesn't appeal to me anymore. The screens they release have consistently gotten worse and worse.

The textures look blurry and the lighting is a little off. Doesn't look quite as good as it did a few months again. But then again, it just might be because I've been spoiled by the new UT2007 screenshots.

Gargantou said:
If the bots literally can see I find it odd that they can't find you using shadows, in an interview the devs were asked if it was possible to make it so the AI can detect your shadow and the devs said it's impossible(I've seen it pulled off in games tho so that can't be true...), that's kinda sad as that'd really add a new element inside buildings and such, so you couldn't really stand at a corner and just wait for'em to come walking by, they could notice your shadow cast on the floor.

Nah, its not impossible. current technology can only detects moving bodies.

Gorgon said:
Nah, its not impossible. current technology can only detects moving bodies.
Yeah but wouldn't there be a way to possibly give the "shadow" cast from the player a specific "signature" or "shader" that the AI -can- detect?

Back