New Study: Vancouver best city in the world to live in

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
"Vancouver is the world's most desirable place to live, according to a new survey, while Papua New Guinea's Port Moresby is at the other end of the scale."

"The EIU study assessed nearly 40 indicators in five broad categories -- stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with a lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the report."

source

yay I live in one of the top 10 cities:

the top 10: Vancouver, Melbourne, Vienna, Geneva, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Zurich, Toronto, Calgary

the bottom 10: Port Moresby, Algiers, Dhaka, Karachi, Lagos, Phnom Penh, Abidjan, Harare, Douala, Tehran

here's the full list

And theres a movie being filmed around every corner.

My city isn't on there. :| I suspect it would rank about 500 though.

the second source shows melbourne as joint top, the first totally ommits it :/

Septih said:

Inconsistancies?

That indicates lies!

Also Durham (your location) rocks. That should be top! Unfortunately it doesn't have millions of people in, and noone knows it exists. All the best places are unknown
ssh4la.gif

Septih said:

I think vancouver and melbourne had the same hardship rating but vancouver could have edged it in some other catagory ...but I see what you mean ...maybe it's because it was on cnn ...and most americans wouldnt know where melbourne is ...just a guess

CptStern: the most biased person in the world!

jk ;)

huh? what does personal opinion have to do with this topic?

oh the cnn comment ...well I'm not far off the mark:

"Among 18- to 24-year-old Americans given maps:

11 percent cannot find the United States"

49 percent cannot find New York

70 percent cannot find New Jersey

source

Nothing, but it was funny none the less.

Ive been there, it absolutly rocks.
I would totally agree.

kirovman said:
Inconsistancies?

That indicates lies!

Also Durham (your location) rocks. That should be top! Unfortunately it doesn't have millions of people in, and noone knows it exists. All the best places are unknown
ssh4la.gif

i'm suprised my home town oxford didn't make the list( heck manchester is on there) it's often called nice stuff by offical peoples, etc

I'm at uni in durham, i'm supposed to hate Murray_H apparently :D

Septih said:
i'm suprised my home town oxford didn't make the list( heck manchester is on there) it's often called nice stuff by offical peoples, etc

I'm at uni in durham, i'm supposed to hate Murray_H apparently :D

The nice cities are all too small to be considered as a city comparatively.

So these huge mess of Conurbations (Birmingham, Manchester) are rated instead of some of the nicer places.

Not got anything against Birmingham or Manchester like...although I'm convinced that Birmingham is a trap designed to never let me get out once I have got in...

Also, do you know Murray_H personally?

Mines in group "16" or whatever that means. Kinda good though

ya I was surprised by that ...dont take this the wrong way but isnt that the extent of the metropolises in Australia? 4? ok sorry I missed Brisbane which is in the top 20 anyways

I have an uncle who lives in Vancouver. The mall has a gosh darn WATER SHOW. That's right, a synchronized fountain gushing water show, inside the mall.

I believe it.

Well considering they have some of the worlds biggest malls in canada (might as well build the biggest since they got sooo much open land). Like the West Edmonton Mall.

Edit: Damn you stern.

I hate freaking malls ..huge displays with thousands of people crammed into areas with high ceilings and incessant advertising screaming in your ears ..no room for the little guy retailers, no room for the niche stores that carried unique items, everything is the same: dress like everyone else, buy items for your house that's exactly like everyone elses ..chain stores ruined what used to be the art/underground fashion district in toronto. Now it's just full of kiddies from the suburbs shopping for the latest overpriced hip clothes

/rant

Here's to being born in the best city in the world. :cheers:

I don't live in a city :( or should that be :)? The closest to me is Newcastle or Durham I guess.

I hate freaking malls ..huge displays with thousands of people crammed into areas with high ceilings and incessant advertising screaming in your ears ..no room for the little guy retailers, no room for the niche stores that carried unique items, everything is the same: dress like everyone else, buy items for your house that's exactly like everyone elses ..chain stores ruined what used to be the art/underground fashion district in toronto. Now it's just full of kiddies from the suburbs shopping for the latest overpriced hip clothes

Zombies, too.

If vancouver had pefect weather all year around...It'd be beyond the best city in the world.

Ireland is still the best country to live in and I hate cities so yay!

Yea, Boston is the second US city on there, and the first continental US city. w00t.

yay for america bashing while bragging about how your country is the best

Zeus said:
yay for america bashing while bragging about how your country is the best

who me? I dont care which country came on top ..had it been any other country I still would have posted it ..and who's bashing? someone asked a question I answered

My friend can't locate the US on the map either. He doesn't even know which hemisphere australia is in.

Back