New system experiencing weird video problems

S

steve949

Hi there, I played Half Life 2 all the way through on my old system, a P4 with a Radeon 9000. Believe it or not, the game played pretty well with only slow downs during big firefights and outdoor settings.

I've decided to upgrade my system to the following since my old system was about 2 years old.

Athlon 64 3500
EVGA 6800 128 mB (cost about $300)
1 gb DDR 3200
80 GB HD

Now the game runs OK, honestly I don't notice a huge difference in performance, although video settings appear to have significantly changed. I have all the textures, shadows, etc set on medium, since on high it runs very slowly.

My problem is that when I first start a new game and the mysterious man in black is waking you up, the screen is totally screwed up. There are black, white and multi colored lines across the screen. The audio is fine and the graphics return to normal once Gordon is on the train to City 17. This problem did not exist on my previous system with a pathetic Radeon 9000.

I have updated the drivers to the newest Nvidia drivers with no effect (yes even the Beta Drivers). Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this problem. Is there an option in the video settings that could help?

Thanks alot!

I am not using an ATI card, I'm using an Nvidia 6800. I have the newest beta drivers from Nvidia, which appear to have a higher driver version than the omega drivers. Does anyone have any experience with the difference between these two drivers?

Back