New to the site and Half-life in general. Please help

T

the lemming

Hellp

I'm new to the world of FPS games and I've just bought the Big Orange Box and installed Half-life2. The only problem is that the box came with a single card inside it with minimal information.

Could somebody please help me out with any PDF's for instruction manuals on how to play the game?

I spent an hour last night looking in vane for anything. I'm not after cheats or walkthroughs or anything else like that.

Cheers

Hellp

I'm new to the world of FPS games and I've just bought the Big Orange Box and installed Half-life2. The only problem is that the box came with a single card inside it with minimal information.

Could somebody please help me out with any PDF's for instruction manuals on how to play the game?

I spent an hour last night looking in vane for anything. I'm not after cheats or walkthroughs or anything else like that.

Cheers

If you start playing the game, they tell you some of the basic controls. What's your skill level?

There are no instructions per se in the Orange Box, but you may be able to find the instruction manual (in PDF) for the original HL.

Assuming you haven't played the original, there are basic elements that exists the same in both HL and HL2 (and episodes).
I thought the manual would of been on Steam, but I can't find it.

Plus there is a nice letter of recommendation at the front, giving you an idea of Gordon Freeman's past. So I got the one of Wiki

FreemanJobLetter.jpg

As it's already been said. The game trains you while your playing. The beginning will show you the basic controls and how to play. The game will continue teaching you throughout the game such as whenever you get something new.There is no Manuel for any of the HL2 games as Valve knows most people don't read it and go straight in game. Team Fortress 2 has short tutorial videos you can watch when you join a game which explains the object of that particular map.

use walkthrough. when i started first i had to use otherwise there are lots of places at which i could spend hours trying to find where to go next.
not wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job..oops, sorry.... not to imply you have to look at walkthrough for every step, but you use when u re stuck.

There are no instructions per se in the Orange Box, but you may be able to find the instruction manual (in PDF) for the original HL.

Assuming you haven't played the original, there are basic elements that exists the same in both HL and HL2 (and episodes).
I thought the manual would of been on Steam, but I can't find it.

Plus there is a nice letter of recommendation at the front, giving you an idea of Gordon Freeman's past. So I got the one of Wiki

FreemanJobLetter.jpg

Is the signature Breen's ?

Half-Life 2 is incredibly linear. Getting lost and requiring a walkthough, says that you are either very dumb or can't be assed looking around for 30 seconds before giving up. I say avoid using a walkthough as much as you can, it will spoil certain events and diminish the experience.

Edit: I don't think that's DR Breens signature. The signature say's LM so it won't be for Wallace Breen

Just jump in. First person shooter controls are very basic to pick up and like PP said HL2 very gradually introduces you to all the game mechanics.

Kudo's btw on letting the OB pop your FPS cherry. There isn't a better option really.

Just jump in. First person shooter controls are very basic to pick up and like PP said HL2 very gradually introduces you to all the game mechanics.

Kudo's btw on letting the OB pop your FPS cherry. There isn't a better option really.

Sorry but I didn't pop my cherry on the Orange Box. BioShock got that privilege and if Half-Life is as good/entertaining as that then I'm in for a real treat. :D

I only asked for a manual as the BioShock one wasn't all that big but it did give a flavour to the story and the inhabitants I would encounter. It was only a few pages long but it did arouse my imagination before I got a chance to fire up the game.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Yeah, that's one disappointment I had with the Orange Box :(

I think the lack of information is deliberate, because Gordon has no idea what he's heading into at the start of the game either.

Hellp

Cheers
Controls are basic FPS fare and can be found in the Esc->Options->Keyboard menu. W A S D for movement, E for use, Z for zoom, Ctrl for crouch, Space for jump, LMB fire, RMB alternate fire, R reload, etc.

If you begin Half-Life 2, it will walk you thru basic use of the game's controls and physics in the first chapter at the train station.

HL2, even if you haven't played HL, is the best FPS shooter there is in terms of quality and story, and I think 95% of this forum would agree that it trumps Bioshock.

It is one of the hallmarks of Valve's games that they train you by virtue of level design - you're in for a treat.

A very big treat, like one of those big lollipops.

It is one of the hallmarks of Valve's games that they train you by virtue of level design - you're in for a treat.

Yeah, they usually do this in their games, and also with new characters and new weapons. You could say that the tutorial is IN the game

Sorry but I didn't pop my cherry on the Orange Box. BioShock got that privilege and if Half-Life is as good/entertaining as that then I'm in for a real treat. :D
OMG! half-life (original and 2!) is the mother of all freakin fps's! afaik, it's WAAYYY better than bioshock!

Back