new video card now it wont work

mikey388

Reaction score
Just upgraded from nvidia fx5200 to ABIT ATI Radeon R9600XT-VIO 256MB .Now whenever I start CS it just goes blurred/crashes all my other games work including farcry and ive messed with all the settings

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Well Ive just done a system restore back to when I had my old nvidia card in and XP loaded a load of drivers itself so I think I had just confused it by installing these over the top.

Its now working Ok

well I tried downloading the latest catalyst drivers and they screwed it up again any idea why? or are the xp drivers ok

Try the Catalyst 5.1 drivers, they are more suited for that card.

Question did you just uninstall the nvidia drivers, take out the fx card, then put in ati card, then drivers? If you did I would suggest formatting the pc, you will probably see a performance increase and probably fix this issue.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Question did you just uninstall the nvidia drivers, take out the fx card, then put in ati card, then drivers? If you did I would suggest formatting the pc, you will probably see a performance increase and probably fix this issue.

Thats exactly what I did and now its messing up again,I will try the 5.1 drivers and if that dont work then I may go for the full format if I really have to.If I do windows will probably load its own drivers again is it just a case of running the catalyst drivers

One other point in device manager I get two adapters a prim and a sec is that normal for ati cards

Edited to add:Ive also just discovered that you need to have Microsoft’s .NET Version 1.1 Framework installed-whatever that is lol so Im downloading that as well

Well congratualtions on your new card. Here's a link that i think will help you uninstall old drivers and install the new one's properly (It'll also help you diasable system resource hog stuff that you really dont need): http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

thanks I will give it a look, im at my wits end with this dam card.

You can't just delete the drivers, take out the card and install a new one. You have tons of cleaning to do. There are removalTools for this. If I can find it at home I'll give it to you. You can also look for cleaners at guru3d.com

Mikademius said:
You can't just delete the drivers, take out the card and install a new one. You have tons of cleaning to do. There are removalTools for this. If I can find it at home I'll give it to you. You can also look for cleaners at guru3d.com

He said he formatted so he wouldn't have to do any cleaning. ;)

did u un-install ur Nvidia drivers b4 installing the ATI card? if not uninstall the nvidia ones and ATi then re-install the ATI ones

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

I did a new install of windows and had the same problem,I think the XP drivers were taking over somehow and confusing things.

Ive gone back to my old card and everythings ok again except Ive lost my fave servers :frown:

This experience has put me off ati cards and I may try a newer nvidia card

Thanks again

http://www.drivercleaner.net/ Go here and download Drivercleaner and run that in safe mode. That will get rid of all the Nvidia junk left on your computer. Try then installing the ATI card and see if it works. If that fails your best bet would probably be a format.

noooo ATI > nvidia lol just send me your PC and I'll make it work :D lol

So you rate ati then, it may be that the card was faulty but it really peed me off especially when I reinstalled windows.It took me 4 hours to download sp2 off microsoft and im on 1 meg broadband.

The missus is away for a week soon so I may sneak and buy a new one(ive taken the faulty one back)which would you recommend im looking to spend up to £150

Back